Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM

153 posts, read 306,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Either way, I don't think it is accurate to say PG county in anyway has less of a crime problem as Fairfax, maybe pockets of one vs pockets of others but thats not an apple to apple comparison.

This is exactly my point about both areas having good and bad pockets. No one would dispute that overall Fairfax has less violent crime than PG but as the previous poster pointed out with the murder maps no one has been murdered (even by terrorists or domestic disputes) in my vicinity of PG county for about 6 years. I feel very safe on the streets in my part of PG county. Yes, the schools arent nearly as good but I don't have kids and the tradeoff for me is I am much closer to DC and I bought my SFH for less than half of what I probably would have in one of the bad pockets of Fairfax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2789 View Post
This is exactly my point about both areas having good and bad pockets. No one would dispute that overall Fairfax has less violent crime than PG but as the previous poster pointed out with the murder maps no one has been murdered (even by terrorists or domestic disputes) in my vicinity of PG county for about 6 years. I feel very safe on the streets in my part of PG county. Yes, the schools arent nearly as good but I don't have kids and the tradeoff for me is I am much closer to DC and I bought my SFH for less than half of what I probably would have in one of the bad pockets of Fairfax!
Thats a valid point. I agree that far too often people use broad strokes to define regions, it is important to understand that larger regions are broken into subregions are broken into individual neighborhoods, many of which are affluent and crime free, and many of which can be struggling against crime.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
I don't think this was your intent, but since this thread started out with a comparison of EYA townhouses in Merrifield and Hyattsville, it may be worth noting that the EYA Mosaic District townhouses aren't exactly in a "bad pocket" of Fairfax. The Merrifield/Dunn Loring area is very safe.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I don't think this was your intent, but since this thread started out with a comparison of EYA townhouses in Merrifield and Hyattsville, it may be worth noting that the EYA Mosaic District townhouses aren't exactly in a "bad pocket" of Fairfax. The Merrifield/Dunn Loring area is very safe.
I dunno JEB the other day I saw some shady lookin folks pushin around baby strollers. How do we know there were babys in those strollers and it wasn't "pushin" drugs... or a front for the mob... how do we know? :P

Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM

153 posts, read 306,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

Yes, I agree with you that the EYA project in Merrifield is in a very safe area and my point is that the EYA project in Hyattsville is in a safe area as well. Relating to the original posters question about why there is such a huge difference in prices between these 2 places (Merrifield EYA costs twice as much) I will argue that it basically boils down more to the price reflects perceived value more so than anything tangible like the fact that Merrifield has better schools. I'm not knocking on Merrifield as there are a ton of variables that go into determining where one lives and what something is worth to you.

In my personal opinion I can't imagine why someone (especially without children) who works in downtown DC would ever choose to pay twice as much money for a condo and to have a longer daily commute? The benefits that Merrifield, VA provides to someone like that seems far outweighed by saving well over $400,000 (plus all that extra interest!). Both places are relatively safe so that should not factor into the decision. Yes, there currently are more places to go shopping and dining in Merrifield but is it worth having a mortgage that costs 2 times what it would in Hyattsville? For me the answer is No. Even with the hypothetical that the condo in Merrifield will appreciate at a higher value when it eventually comes time to sell you have to factor in all that money you could have saved by living in Hyattsville that could have been invested in other ways.

PG as a whole has a terrible perceived value (at least for now) that is keeping prices low even in the good pockets like those EYA Hyattsville developments. Meanwhile Fairfax has a positive "Perceived Value" (and rightfully so) that is driving prices up both in the good pockets (like EYA Merrifield) and in the bad pockets as well.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Franklin's restaurant and the attached whimsical novelty shop/ toy store is a very popular happening place on Route 1 in Hyattsville.

Another popular place also on Route 1 is "Busboys and Poets" cafe, which attracts a bohemian, socially-conscious crowd and has live folk-singers, etc.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
I used to work near Prince Georges Plaza in Hyattsville MD, and thought the area was fine if I were Black or Hispanic. I would go in the mall and I would be the only white person there.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:

In my personal opinion I can't imagine why someone (especially without children) who works in downtown DC would ever choose to pay twice as much money for a condo and to have a longer daily commute? The benefits that Merrifield, VA provides to someone like that seems far outweighed by saving well over $400,000 (plus all that extra interest!). Both places are relatively safe so that should not factor into the decision. Yes, there currently are more places to go shopping and dining in Merrifield but is it worth having a mortgage that costs 2 times what it would in Hyattsville? For me the answer is No. Even with the hypothetical that the condo in Merrifield will appreciate at a higher value when it eventually comes time to sell you have to factor in all that money you could have saved by living in Hyattsville that could have been invested in other ways.
Agreed,. However, as I offered earlier, a preponderance of jobs are in NOVA. Combine that with a perception/reality that schools are better in the Merrifield area than in Hyattsville*, and the value of the former rises dramatically.

But yes, if I were a childless single or couple working in DC (rather than NOVA) then I would consider the EYA development in Hyattsville before the one in Merrifield.

*I don't profess to be an expert on schools in Hyattsville or the rest of Prince Georges County. The Washington DC suburbs of Maryland sub-forum would probably give more informed opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia