Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,091 times

Advertisements

check out

Arts District Hyattsville: EYA Townhomes & Live-Work Homes in Hyattsville, Maryland

A Bryant or equivalent costs about abt 450 k in Arts district Hyattsville, but same house cost $850 k in Mosaic district, Merrifield, VA. Granted Mosaic district is a much better neighborhood so land prices would be more expensive, but wudnt the labor and parts be the same ? the 2 cities are only 30 miles apart so i am guessing they use the same crew. Is it a case of the developer over charging?

Mosaic District: An EYA Townhome Neighborhood in Fairfax, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Have you ever been to Hyattsville before? They have their share of socioeconomic problems. I had worked there for several years and it was not pleasant. We had our cars stolen from the parking garage, multiple murders on East-West Highway where people were getting gunned down in broad daylight, the overall ambiance is not pleasant. Walking from the PG Plaza was a risk every day. I saw the CVS get robbed. I felt that if I was a person of color, I did not belong there.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuthyar View Post

Granted Mosaic district is a much better neighborhood so land prices would be more expensive, but wudnt the labor and parts be the same ? the 2 cities are only 30 miles apart so i am guessing they use the same crew. Is it a case of the developer over charging?
It is mostly land values/Merrifield's hotter housing market.

And I doubt they're overcharging. As of two weeks ago, they were about 90% sold out in Mosaic.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:20 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
As I always say, the quality of the home, is minuscule to the rationale of it's price. The sticks and bricks are meaningless. The cost variant to build a townhome, vs a house, vs a mcmansion in this area is minimal (variants of 100k in construction cost) compared to;

1) the value of the land... location location location is still the main driver of all value
2) the supply vs demand of rule #1

If you don't believe me, check out the mansions you could buy in Arkansas for the same price as a 1br condo in the DC area.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
... location location location ...
Yup, that is the short answer to the OP's question.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Schools, crime rate, and the quality of your neighbors - and worth every penny.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Schools, crime rate, and the quality of your neighbors - and worth every penny.
... and an existing Metro stop.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 AM

153 posts, read 306,473 times
WIthout a doubt the school system and existing developement are better in Merrifield, VA. but the question is "how much better"? My personal opinion is it is not "worth every penny" to pay twice as much! But then again I don't have an unlimited budget. The best way for you to determine if the Hyattsville Arts District is right for you is to visit it in person and walk around to get a feel for it. Talk to some people who actually live there and look at the crime stats for that specific area. People love to paint an incorrect broad generalization over ALL of PG county when in actuality there are some nice safe areas that are a short commute to downtown DC. This is the real reason why you can buy an equivalent property for half the price.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2789 View Post
WIthout a doubt the school system and existing developement are better in Merrifield, VA. but the question is "how much better"? My personal opinion is it is not "worth every penny" to pay twice as much! But then again I don't have an unlimited budget. The best way for you to determine if the Hyattsville Arts District is right for you is to visit it in person and walk around to get a feel for it. Talk to some people who actually live there and look at the crime stats for that specific area. People love to paint an incorrect broad generalization over ALL of PG county when in actuality there are some nice safe areas that are a short commute to downtown DC. This is the real reason why you can buy an equivalent property for half the price.

Walk around during the day not night, because it's a bad place. Seriously.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM

153 posts, read 306,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Walk around during the day not night, because it's a bad place. Seriously.
If it weren't for people having this opinion that ALL of PG county is the same I would never have been able to afford the incredible deal I got on a single family home over here (would easily have cost 2-3 times as much in NOVA). THANK YOU!!!!! I live in Mt. Rainier/Brentwood (bordering the Hyattsille Arts District) and I feel safe biking to the Metro every morning and my neighbors are all super cool. So please do some research and come visit during the day if you prefer and talk to some people who actually live in some of these better pockets. The internet is full of people who are scared to venture over the tracks and find out what is really there. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8d...xqNKuePoL5Ie--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia