Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northern Virginians: Do you know your neighbors?
I know most of my neighbors and are close with them 11 11.58%
I know most of my neighbors but we don't really hang out 41 43.16%
I don't know many of my neighbors 19 20.00%
I don't know most of my neighbors, but I'm close to the ones I do know 3 3.16%
I don't really know any of my neighbors, they seem busy 12 12.63%
I don't really know any of my neighbors, they seem cold and unfriendly 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:45 PM

352 posts, read 550,816 times

Advertisements

Northern Virginians: Do you know your neighbors? Do you feel that your neighborhood has a sense of community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
When we were in NoVa, we were on a cul-de-sac. The neighbors would smile and wave as they drove by, the garage door went up, the car drove in and the garage door came down. Most of the neighbors used lawn services so the only time we would talk and visit was when it snowed.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 PM

406 posts, read 625,125 times
We moved here 3 months ago and there's a lack of community in my neighborhood.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times
My neighborhood HOA has a Facebook group where we talk about local and community relevant topics. I'm also on my HOA's activity committee and attend our monthly HOA meetings when I can. So, I know multiple people in my neighborhood, but it's a big HOA, so I don't know that I would consider them all "neighbors." I do know the neighbors in the houses directly on either side of my house; we're not close, but friendly enough to smile and say hi and occasionally have a quick conversation in the driveway. But I'm fine with that, as we are really inside people; I don't expect to be BFFs with my neighbors just because we live nearby.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 PM

540 posts, read 790,619 times
We know all of our immediate neighbors pretty well. Our next door neighbors threw a party shortly after we moved in and we met most people right away. One of the neighbor kids walks our dog during the workday, and almost everyone does their own yard work so we see each other and chat during the "outside" months. One of the neighbors does most of the yard work for our 90 year old next door neighbor, and she feels free calling us if there is a problem and she can't get ahold of her local kids.

That said, we don't hang out and have barbeques like some do. Just way too much of an age difference. Multiple original owners of mid-60s houses in the neighborhood, others with grown kids who have left the house, and then the new, younger owners that only got in because of the housing bust.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:06 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I knew all of my neighbors in Vienna. We looked out for one another - would mow the lawn if one was away or shovel someone's driveway in the snow, lend the snowblower, etc. It was a real community of households with different family types (singles, divorced with visiting children, married with children, etc.), so we didn't hang out together, but we all got along as neighbors.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
My neighborhood was definitely the type of place where most of us knew each other. This was my first Halloween away from my old street, and 4 neighbors sent me photos so I could see what their kids wore for trick or treating this year.

I see on the Pittsburgh Forum that the OP is complaining that people in Nova don't know their neighbors. Sorry he had that experience, but to be honest I think it's more or less the same in most cities--there are some neighborhoods where everyone knows each other and other places where people don't socialize much at all. i

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
When we were in NoVa, we were on a cul-de-sac. The neighbors would smile and wave as they drove by, the garage door went up, the car drove in and the garage door came down. Most of the neighbors used lawn services so the only time we would talk and visit was when it snowed.
That's what happens most of the time on my street. I like to leave the garage door up to give a sense of community - the idea that we're home, part of the neighborhood and not anti-social. My wife, however, views it as a safety issue and prefers it stay closed. We argue about it semi-regularly...

Old 11-02-2013, 06:51 AM

104 posts, read 170,992 times
We live on a cul-de-sac in a new community so we all built our homes and moved in within 5 months of each other. In our case we all have children the same ages and the majority little boys. There are 22 children under 12 on our street now! It is great for us since all the kids play out, we go the bus stop together and do all the same sports and activities so everyone has bonded. It is a great suburban community for this point in our life. That said, we lived in Germantown, MD and Alexandria, VA before and we never met any of our neighbors despite being in the same home in Alexandria for 4 years.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
I wave to the neighbor on one side, and once in a while we'll chat about different contractors (I got her tree guy's name, she asked about my fence experience). I know the neighbor whose yard backs up to mine because my dog used to constantly escape and run through her yard, so I took her cookies once to apologize.

No idea anyone else who lives in the neighborhood. We've been here 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia