Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

My husband just got word that he will be transferring to either BUMED (Falls Church) or the Pentagon. We really wanted to buy but with a budget of 400k and hopes for at least a 3 bedroom/2500 sqft, I'm pretty concerned that we won't have a chance. We've got 3 active boys and 2 med-sized dogs so I don't think a town home would fit our lifestyle besides I like small town with space. If we rented we could afford a $2700 per month.

I am just overwhelmed by how different this place is to anywhere we have been before. Independent cities? Outrageous property taxes? TRAFFIC?! I really need help in focusing on specific areas to live. Here's my specific requests:

No more than 400k for 2500sqft/3 bed
OR $2700 per month rent

Small-ish town with community events/sports, etc.

Under an hour commute to either Falls Church/Pentagon.

Please help me! I'm overwhelmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
You need to start looking in the Prince William County area if you have your heart set on a home with at least 3 bedrooms and that amount of space.

I live in Woodbridge, I have a 2500 squart foot home (4 bedrooms with finished basement) and it would sell for about $400-$425K. I have an under 1 hour commute to the Pentagon/DC area but I go early (I start between 6-6:30AM). The ride can be under 1 hour if you go early or you use public transporation (busses go directly from Woodbridge to the Pentagon). Falls Church is a little harder to get to.

You will need to give up your idea of a "small town." It really does not exist here. We are "suburbia" on a grand scale. The City of Falls Church, the City of Vienna, and the City of Fairfax will have a bit of the small town feel but you won't be able to live there unless your budget increases to the the $500-600K amount.

All the the areas (and it's usually done by county) have community and sports related activities. You may find that you would really enjoy the western end of Prince William County (Gainesville, Bristow) etc and your husband can use the VRE train from there but the one hour commute quickly starts to fly out the window there.

You will have to make some compromises to get all the things you want. Usually the first thing to go for most people is the commute. I think the way to get around that is to work very early hours. Then you can have the house, the room, the amenities, and an easy enough drive but I find that most people aren't "larks" and that is often non-negotiable for them.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
If you go to the realtor.com website and search for rentals in Falls Church or Vienna, you should be able to find some single-family homes in your rental price range. Burke and West Springfield are also popular with military families - they are more affordable and an easy commute to Falls Church, although they don't have a small-town atmosphere (they're part of the giant suburb that is Fairfax County). I would not be expecting to buy close to these locations (Falls Church or the Pentagon) with a $400K limit.

PS - I just saw ChristineVA's post and think it's good advice, particularly if you want to buy. If you rent, you should have options closer in and need not assume you are priced out.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM

29 posts, read 71,191 times
I'm originally from Washington (Kent), but have been in NOVA for many years. We love it here .

A single family home is possible in your price range, but you will need to live further out. We're in Gainesville and there are MANY people here who commute to the pentagon. We love where we live, and have great neighbors and friends.

NOVA can seem overwhelming, but it has been an amazing place to raise our kids.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
The only good news is the pentagon is easy to get to from the xburbs. Even if you live in Prince William or Stafford your husband should be able to find an express bus to the pentagon. Car and vanpools are other alternatives. I don't know what BUMED is, but if your husband in stationed in Falls Church you all will be bummed unless you can find a vanpool or something similar going to where your husband will work. I would never suggest your husband trying to drive to work. If he is assigned to the pentagon, he won't have a place to park. Traffic in this area is the worst in the nation and your husband will get to enjoy it every day. I suggest your husband try driving from areas you are considering to where he will work during rush hour - say leaving at 7am. At some point he will need to stay late or go in early and won't be able to take the bus/vanpool and he should be aware of what awaits him. Good luck on your search.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Had to google BUMED, US Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, which I am pretty sure went into the old Melpar/Ratheon building at 50 and the Beltway. If so, there probably is transportation from the Dunn Loring Metro station.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
BUMED would not be too hard to get to. You can take the HOT lanes from Braddock Rd to 50 and it is right on the left opposite Jaguar Trails.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,509 times
7029 Leesville Blvd., 22151. Older SFR, very well made, almost ideal commute, close to your budget. You can't have it all on your budget, but this would be a very good investment. PW County is second class.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Look at South Springfield, 22153 zip. Take a look at Terra Grande and vicinity. A very clean low crime mix of new and older homes. Plenty of military folks, good schools and is near 395,495,95, Fort Belvoir, Pentagon and Falls Church.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Look at South Springfield, 22153 zip. Take a look at Terra Grande and vicinity. A very clean low crime mix of new and older homes. Plenty of military folks, good schools and is near 395,495,95, Fort Belvoir, Pentagon and Falls Church.
I would second this, at least for renting and working at the Pentagon. I live near there in Saratoga. Not necessarily a small town feel, which as others have said isn't really present in northern Virginia, but it would meet most of your other criteria. A home was recently for rent around the corner from mine for $2500 - it was 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, about 2300 square feet not including the basement, and a 5 minute walk to a bus stop for the 395 Fairfax Connector Pentagon express bus (or, if you prefer, a 5 minute drive to a Park and Ride lot to catch the same bus). My door to door commute time taking the same bus but then transferring to Metro at the Pentagon and going into DC is about an hour, so the Pentagon would easily be doable in less than 45 minutes. I'd message you the address if it were still for rent, but I don't think it is. You'd be hard pressed to buy a SFH in this area for under $400k (a TH would be doable), but renting a SFH for $2700 and below is definitely doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia