Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Kax Kax started this thread

19 posts, read 137,655 times

Advertisements

Hi -- looking for some input/advice/opinions on the "planned communities" you see in Northern VA, for example, Little Rocky Run in Clifton, Balmoral, Virginia Run, etc. I didn't have much luck with my previous post so I'm trying again!

Here is some additional info: relocating to No. Virginia from NJ in 8 to 10 months. My husband will be telecommuting for now (lucky him!) and travelling frequently out of Dulles. We have three children ages 9, 7, and 5 and can spend between $700-$800 on our home. We looked in Little Rocky Run this weekend and like the newer homes, but were wondering what it is like living in a huge planned community (great for kids???, annoying??? alot of transients???, etc. and also about the schools specifically in that area. It seems to us like you get a lot more house for your money in Clifton, Chantilly, Ashburn than the Vienna area. But what are the trade offs? We are not at all familiar with No. Virginia and would appreicate any help we can get! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,196 times
I can't answer anything about the planned community but I honestly hope you mean you can spend between 700,000 and 800,000 on your home because 700-800 a month won't even get you a 1 bedroom apartment around here.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 AM
Kax Kax started this thread

19 posts, read 137,655 times
Yes, that's what I meant, between $700,000 and $800,000.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
you siad he is telecommuting now but where will he be working when you settle here. That is the big deciding factor for you since your budget will get you into a nice house in any area around here.

If working in DC then look as close as you can get.
If working out of Dullas then Ashburn would be very nice.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:12 AM

19 posts, read 73,531 times
Reston VA is planned community and a very nice one. I highly reccomend it - I work in Reston and I have lived in the NOVA area my whole life. It's close to Dulles - extremely close. The public schools are pretty good and it's a safe place to live. There is a towncenter with plenty of shopping and chain restaurants. Reston has retained a lot of trees and open spaces and it's very attractive and it has access to the toll road and 66.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
It seems to us like you get a lot more house for your money in Clifton, Chantilly, Ashburn than the Vienna area.
In Vienna and vicinity, you are paying for being close to Tysons and for being able to get into the big city via Metro comparitively quickly and easily. Such commodities are not available in western Fairfax and eastern Loudon counties, so the same money goes instead into more house. If life is or will be centered in and around the Dulles Corridor, that's the area to focus on.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,688 times
Kax,

In general, the entire Northern VA area is transient...there is a high military population in this area. Some of the larger companies have offices out here and move employees around a lot also.

As usual, Saganista gave an awesome explanation of the differences in the areas.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 PM

71 posts, read 316,433 times
Consult a local realtor. There is so much information for you to process that you'll probably first need to research the entire region for general ideas about what life is like here. Then you'll need help focusing in on what you want in a home and what you want for your family and then what you'll tolerate in a commute. For your budget you can live anywhere in this region, what you live in will determine where you end up.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
A local realtor will be a complete stranger. He or she, if competent, will have specialized and localized expertise that may (and usually will) at some point become useful to a buyer. Realtors are not fairy godmothers with magical powers and abilities to guide people toward the making of wise and proper yet highly personal decisions that will cause them to live happily ever after. As a buyer, it is important to do the up-front research that will put you onto a level playing field with a potential realtor, if only to bring you to the point of being able to tell whether such potential realtor as much as understands, much less considers and actually seeks to address your wants, needs, and concerns. There is some sense to the notion that realtors are a lot like singers in a karaoke bar. Some may look good, some may have cool costumes, but not all of them can sing. Get yourself first to the point where you can go out and find yourself a singer. No one has ever regretted doing so...

Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
A local realtor will be a complete stranger. He or she, if competent, will have specialized and localized expertise that may (and usually will) at some point become useful to a buyer. Realtors are not fairy godmothers with magical powers and abilities to guide people toward the making of wise and proper yet highly personal decisions that will cause them to live happily ever after. As a buyer, it is important to do the up-front research that will put you onto a level playing field with a potential realtor, if only to bring you to the point of being able to tell whether such potential realtor as much as understands, much less considers and actually seeks to address your wants, needs, and concerns. There is some sense to the notion that realtors are a lot like singers in a karaoke bar. Some may look good, some may have cool costumes, but not all of them can sing. Get yourself first to the point where you can go out and find yourself a singer. No one has ever regretted doing so...
That's the best analysis for a home-buying strategy I've come across--particularly for the DC region. Thank you for posting it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia