Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
FCR FCR started this thread

3 posts, read 6,967 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to purchase a home in either Gainesville or Leesburg. I would be commuting to NW DC near American University. My hours allow me to work 7-3, so I would be leaving home no later than 6:00AM and of course, returning at 3:00PM. What would I-66 and Rt. 7 typically be like during those hours? If I took 66 inside the beltway, what time would I need to leave Gainesville to make it in the District by 6:30 in order to avoid HOV hours. Can either be done in an hour or less?

Also, if anyone can compare these two cities as far raising a family and what they have to offer, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by FCR; 03-05-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM

367 posts, read 884,774 times
Well we love Leesburg but I couldn't say I would be willing to do that commute. That aside my husband occasionally commutes to DC and parts of MD I would say during those time in the morning if you take the greenway ($6 each way) one hour would be the commute so to clarify you would take 66 to 267.

If i had to choose I would choose gainesville.
If it were me I would live in arlington, alexandria, falls church I would just settle for a smaller place.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Well we love Leesburg but I couldn't say I would be willing to do that commute. That aside my husband occasionally commutes to DC and parts of MD I would say during those time in the morning if you take the greenway ($6 each way) one hour would be the commute so to clarify you would take 66 to 267.

If i had to choose I would choose gainesville.
If it were me I would live in arlington, alexandria, falls church I would just settle for a smaller place.
I agree with this. You are looking at a rough commute even with a 7AM start time. You may do better on an express bus of some sort. I would be trying to get as close in as I could if you had to work in NW DC.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
I would think that you would take 66 to the beltway and take the Clara Barton parkway. I have no idea how long this would take, but if you left before 6:00am you should be able to get to Tysons in under an hour

Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Gainesville to American University area will take you an hour and 20 minutes leaving at 5:30 am. This route is 66 to 495N to Clara Barton Parkway. I'm not sure 66 inside the Beltway will save a lot of time, as you'll be dealing with a lot of lights to make your way up to the American University area.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Leesburg can definitely be done in an hour or less if you are willing to pay $19 round trip in tolls on the Greenway and Toll Road. Route 7 is also a pretty good alternative at those hours. Commuting from Gainesville on 66 is a daily nightmare and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I would say Leesburg is definitely an easier commute as it is slightly quicker and definitely much more reliable than I-66.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Leesburg. Take 15 to Point of Rocks, then MARC to Rockville, then Red Line to AU.

You can drive in along 267 to the Beltway to whatever as well, whereas 66 is pretty terrible.

Gainesville would involve VRE from Manassas to L'Enfant, then up the Red Line to AU.

I know this might be heresy among our VA-loving ranks ... but is there a reason Olney or Frederick aren't on your list?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Leesburg. Take 15 to Point of Rocks, then MARC to Rockville, then Red Line to AU.

You can drive in along 267 to the Beltway to whatever as well, whereas 66 is pretty terrible.

Gainesville would involve VRE from Manassas to L'Enfant, then up the Red Line to AU.

I know this might be heresy among our VA-loving ranks ... but is there a reason Olney or Frederick aren't on your list?
I think it's important to note that the Red Line does not go to AU. The closest Metro (Tenleytown) is about a mile away from AU. Now, if you worked, specifically, at AU, I believe there is a shuttle. Otherwise you are walking or taking the bus. And since the OP works "near AU", his employer could be more than a mile away. Also, with the driving, train, Metro, bus option, the commute is WELL over an hour.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM
FCR FCR started this thread

3 posts, read 6,967 times
Thank you for the responses. The Tenleytown and Cleveland Park metros are both over a mile away from work. The reason I am only considering Virginia is because the wife works in Fairfax County.

Would Centreville be a much easier commute than Gainesville or would it only be about a 15-20 minute difference at this time of day? There are not many single family homes there in our price range, however(<435K).

Does anybody have first hand experience traveling on 66 and rt 7 at these times? (Eastbound 5:30-6:30AM and Westbound 3:00 - 4:30PM)

Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 PM

39 posts, read 155,295 times
FYI - I commute sometimes from Ashburn to our office in DC in an hour, leaving at 6am and arriving at the garage no later than 7am, using VA-7 E, VA-694/Lewinsville Rd, Dolley Madison Blvd and George Washington Memorial Pkwy to 15th St NW in Washington. Leaving at 4pm, I take K St to the Key Bridge, GW Parkway to 495 and then the toll road to VA-7. Depending on good weather, it takes a little over an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia