Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I can't imagine anyone with a HHI of $161K putting their kid in a home daycare arrangement beyond as a short term fix until a space opens up elsewhere.
On the contrary - out here people that do this are slammed with business. My next door neighbor did it for 9 years (until they retired and relocated to West Virginia) and always had a wait list. None of her kids were full-time, 5 days a week - she had some kids two days or three days because their parents had flexible working arrangements. I guess it is harder to get a spot in a "center" if you don't need full-time care - especially when there are only two daycare centers within a several mile radius in the neighborhood, and both of them are always full.

My kids are in half-day kindergarten and I leave them with an at-home daycare provider on Wednesday mornings, just so I can run longer errands. She lives in the neighborhood and close to their school, and I like knowing that they are nearby, that she also has kids at the same school, and that we have many mutual friends and interests (she and I are both Girl Scout leaders, her daughter played on my kids' soccer team coached by my husband, etc.) I just want them to play and be supervised for a few hours - if I wanted an enrichment program, I would find that somewhere else.

ChristineVA is correct - you also need to be sure that if you are moving to a home in an HOA, that they allow this type of business. Brambleton does, but you have to register with the HOA along with county/state licensing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nktsd View Post
BIGFOOT424, the budget for a housing will be around $650K-700K. We are very prepare for our moving to NOVA. My only concern is where is the right place for the daycare. Two things: I don't want to be very far from DC, maybe 25-30 miles radius and of course, a safe and good neighborhood. Thanks for reply!
This time requirement to DC basically will keep you inside the Beltway. It's the interstate running through VA and MD around the DC area.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This time requirement to DC basically will keep you inside the Beltway. It's the interstate running through VA and MD around the DC area.
OP said miles, not minutes

Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Agreed, but I guess the OP probably thinks that miles generally equal minutes....as it does in most of the rest of the country.

Last edited by spencgr; 03-12-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 PM

32 posts, read 109,238 times
Paid to get on wait lists for 5 commercial day care locations between Rosslyn and Ballston this past year for an infant. After seven months we only got called about a spot for one of them ( new location opened in Rosslyn) but it was > $2000 a month. Would have been open to a good home daycare as well, but the ones we found were also full (for infants anyway). We were very frustrated, but ended up being able to switch our schedules around and do without daycare...but had there been a good opportunity at the time in the area we would have jumped on it.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Whoops. Speed reading at Evelyn worked too well.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,571 times
SPENCGR, I meant only miles, I know the traffic there is bad. What about Alexandria, do you think is a good place for a daycare?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
anywhere BUT Fairfax county. MY moms been running her own daycare since 2000 and well.. looks like between the town and county, she'll be forced out to loudon. And goodluck trying to open one. These days its pretty hard. I believe the max per child per worker is 4 or 5. so if you go over that, you need to find an employee who has to have a B.S. and legal to work in the US.

right now she has a lot of spots open and is worried about that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia