Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM

26 posts, read 65,034 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have 3 children and cannot fork out the $30,000 + per year tuition. I love the Montessori way of learning and so do my kids, there must be a school somewhere that is more reasonable. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times
I have just toured a bunch of Montessori places in the Fairfax area and nope they are all $$$. The least expensive one I found was about $15K a year for one child. Maybe in other areas of Nova there is something, but otherwise it's just darn pricey. I too love the Montessori method of teaching, but I personally can't shell out that kind of money in addition to other daycare costs for my other child right now.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
How about The Springs Montessori? It looks to be about $10,500 for full day.

The Springs, A Montessori School – Tuition and Fees

Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
I have a friend that sent her twins to Montessori for 3 three years. Frankly, I just don't see what all the hoopla is about. My son went to preschool and I'm trying to figure where the big benefit to Montessori was. The class sizes were not small which is what I would have expected at a minimum. My son is almost 10 and her kids are 11 and it certainly doesn't seem to have affected their success or lack thereof compared to my son. Honestly, if you can even come close to affording the tuition, I would sock away the difference towards their college education. You can teach them all the touchy feeling, wear soft soled shoes at home thing yourself.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 PM

25 posts, read 84,659 times
Hi Rainrad2002,

I've been an Educational Advocate for many a year and normally when I see parents asking for information on Montessori Schools, the first question I ask is does your child/ren have a Learning Disorder? In general Montessori Schools work best for very specific types of learners, and does not necessarily work for traditional/normal learners whom make up the vast majority of school aged children.

The Montessori Methodology of teaching favors Multiple Intelligence over traditional route Auditory/Sequential learning. In so doing, it tends to work best for those individuals whom are Kinesthetic/Tactile, Visual/Spatial, and/or Nonverbal/Quantitative learners. These particular learning styles usually coincide with Learning Disorders such as ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Hyperlexia, Aphasia, Synesthesia, and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Likewise, if an individual falls into the Intuitive Temperament types of Rational and/or Idealist (MBTI: NT and NF) they are often times misdiagnosed as such anyway.

If that is relevant to you and your children, then yes, Montessori is the way to go. If it is not relevant then you are probably better off going with Public Education or other Private Education alternatives. The thing is, Private Education including Montessori is going to cost you a good amount of money. The price range you quoted for a Montessori School is pretty much the same in and around the D.C. Metropolitan area, including NOVA and MD overall. I personally live in Prince William County, which is a fair deal cheaper than Fairfax County. All of the Montessori Schools in my area and further south are within the same tuition range for full time students.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by HFAutistic; 07-21-2011 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: possessed by typo demons (:

Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
at least in my general area, montessori and reasonable price do NOT go together. Even the in-home montessori programs charge 2X what everyone else does.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I had a wonderful plate of Montessori at Pines of Paramus--fresh schifoso pasta with Culo sauce, topped with wonderful American cheese, fresh dried herbs--MWAH! Delicious. And only $28.99.

Sorry--it's Friday, and I couldn't resist.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM

25 posts, read 84,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I had a wonderful plate of Montessori at Pines of Paramus--fresh schifoso pasta with Culo sauce, topped with wonderful American cheese, fresh dried herbs--MWAH! Delicious. And only $28.99. Sorry--it's Friday, and I couldn't resist.
I can relate to this...
It has been a LOOOOONNNNNGGG week! A nice Stiff Drink would go nicely with that as well

Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAutistic View Post
I can relate to this...
It has been a LOOOOONNNNNGGG week! A nice Stiff Drink would go nicely with that as well
Thank you, sir! (It's all I can do to resist replying to that thread asking where one can get a good facial in Loudoun. So...tempting...must....resist.........)

Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thank you, sir! (It's all I can do to resist replying to that thread asking where one can get a good facial in Loudoun. So...tempting...must....resist.........)
You just made me choke on my cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia