Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 58,124 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have applied for several history teaching positions with the Prince William County School System.

Every time that I apply for a position, I recieve an automated email indicating that my application status has being updated to "application reviewed", and then nothing..........no updates at all.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum that is familiar with PWCS hiring process; these are my questions:
  • What exactly does "applicaiton reviewed" mean ?
  • Does this mean that your application is visible to school principals, or is it a polite way of saying "were not interested" ?
  • How do I get to the next step ?
  • Should I pound the pavement and hand out resumes to school principals ?
I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordntaylor View Post
Hello,

I have applied for several history teaching positions with the Prince William County School System.

Every time that I apply for a position, I recieve an automated email indicating that my application status has being updated to "application reviewed", and then nothing..........no updates at all.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum that is familiar with PWCS hiring process; these are my questions:
  • What exactly does "applicaiton reviewed" mean ?
  • Does this mean that your application is visible to school principals, or is it a polite way of saying "were not interested" ?
  • How do I get to the next step ?
  • Should I pound the pavement and hand out resumes to school principals ?
I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks !
My wife has gone through this process repeatedly. It seems her most effective route is by going to career fairs, meeting principals and networking there. She has gotten a few interviews doing that.

As far as how challenging it is, check this out from the first day of this academic year:

Summer Break Ends, Students Return to Class - Potomac Local News Potomac Local News

Quote:
*Hired approximately 600 new teachers
*173,657 job applications were received this past year, including 66,495 teacher applications
There is a lot of competition.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
My wife has gone through this process repeatedly. It seems her most effective route is by going to career fairs, meeting principals and networking there. She has gotten a few interviews doing that.

As far as how challenging it is, check this out from the first day of this academic year:

Summer Break Ends, Students Return to Class - Potomac Local News Potomac Local News

There is a lot of competition.
I agree with the above. All the Nova counties basically expect you to not only submit the online stuff, but to also approach principals directly, by emailing, going to career fairs, etc. Doesn't hurt to sub in the schools if you are local. If you submit the online app and then just sit and wait, nothing will ever happen. You have to treat it as two separate processes - call and make sure your app is complete and there is nothing you still need to submit, but simultaneously apply directly to schools. Principals will probably ask you if you have submitted your materials to central admin, and you'll want to be able to say that you are covered there. But in my experience no one looks at all those applications except the HR people, and I'm not even sure there is a good system of referral from there. I am not sure about PW, but in Fairfax there are also central instructional offices for each subject specialty, and you can also contact them directly. I remember them giving me a kind of preliminary interview to see if I knew anything, and then they actually called me and told me about some jobs I could apply for.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM

320 posts, read 711,808 times
Send your resume to the principals of the schools you are interested in. I know at our school, the resumes are looked at by the Principal's secretary and then forwarded to the Principal. He will select the ones he wants to interview. Currently they are interviewing for open positions for school year 2014-2015.

HR only makes sure your paperwork is complete and they will forward the "official" offer to you.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Basically HR determines if you are eligible for a position or not. The school's do their own hiring, so it is absolutely essential that you contact the principals directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia