U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2014, 09:18 AM
 
177 posts, read 233,824 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

I want to buy a house, and I work near Pentagon City metro station (I am new to Virginia), but the houses in Arlington are too expensive for me. What I need to consider most are: school district, house condition, community safety, commute.

1. I did some research, and found out there are some very good elementary schools there, like Sangster elementary.

2. Not ideas if how "old" are the houses in the community in average? I am not good at DIY(it is too costly to hire people to fix this fix that), and hope no major maintenance during the first few years.

3. One hour community is acceptable to me. I am a federal employee, and have the maximum $130 transportation subsidy per month (I can claim up to $130 for either public transportation cost or parking cost, not claiming both). I do some research and find out three means of transportation: first, take VRE at Burke station to Alexandria, then take metro rail, and parking at Burke should be free; second, park my car at metro station ($4.75 per day), then take metrorail; third, drive to Pentagon city and find a parking space there. Both the first mean of transport and second mean of transportation are much higher than $130, that means a lot of out of pocket cost. No ideas how much commute time for me to drive to pentagon city metro, and how much is the cheap monthly parking cost.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: northern va
1,590 posts, read 2,135,792 times
Reputation: 1379
Average age is going to be in the 30 yr range, right about the time that an original owner should be doing the roof, HVAC (if not done well earlier), etc.

A thorough home inspection should help establish the life of these major systems, but no one can be prepared for what comes with homeownership... leaky toilets, clogged drainage lines, leaks into the house after torrential downpours, drafty windows..

A good home warranty will help with some of those things, hopefully at just the expense of a service call fee..

Concerning commute, you pretty much nailed it IMO in terms of locations. Anything further South could add a considerable amount of time, although your housing options open up quite a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 AM
 
177 posts, read 233,824 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Average age is going to be in the 30 yr range, right about the time that an original owner should be doing the roof, HVAC (if not done well earlier), etc.

A thorough home inspection should help establish the life of these major systems, but no one can be prepared for what comes with homeownership... leaky toilets, clogged drainage lines, leaks into the house after torrential downpours, drafty windows..

A good home warranty will help with some of those things, hopefully at just the expense of a service call fee..

Concerning commute, you pretty much nailed it IMO in terms of locations. Anything further South could add a considerable amount of time, although your housing options open up quite a bit
Thank you very much, kww, you are a great contributor to this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
213 posts, read 430,304 times
Reputation: 106
There are some park and ride lots in the West Springfield/Burke where you can park for free and I believe you can take a commuter bus straight to the pentagon. I don't have any firsthand experience with it, but I've seen it mentioned many times here so maybe do a search for that. Parking in Pentagon City itself is very limited and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 AM
 
177 posts, read 233,824 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post
There are some park and ride lots in the West Springfield/Burke where you can park for free and I believe you can take a commuter bus straight to the pentagon. I don't have any firsthand experience with it, but I've seen it mentioned many times here so maybe do a search for that. Parking in Pentagon City itself is very limited and expensive.
Thanks for the information, I think I find the information on wmata.com website.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by ssmssm; 05-04-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 AM
 
177 posts, read 233,824 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmssm View Post
Thanks for the information, could you please do some research on the commute bus for me? I never know I still have this option, all I know is VRE/metro rail/driving to Pentagon city.

Thank you very much!
I think I find the information on wmata.com website.

Last edited by ssmssm; 05-04-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
213 posts, read 430,304 times
Reputation: 106
Look at the bottom of this post: Fairfax commute to pentagon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 PM
 
177 posts, read 233,824 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post
Look at the bottom of this post: Fairfax commute to pentagon
Thanks, actually, I found something different earlier, from the bus route map. For (2), why nobody mentions bus 18P? It seems to me that we can drive to Rolling Valley Park & Ride, then take bus 18P


http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/18a-r.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
1,356 posts, read 1,395,049 times
Reputation: 1234
The 17 series bus lines run through west Springfield and Burke. They are express busses that take you to the Pentagon metro. With your smart card, the discount for taking a bus before/after the metro is automatically applied. Homes in my neighborhood (Kings Park) were built in 1961-1964 which makes them 50+ years old. I think many of the subdivisions along Braddock Road date from the 1960's on.

Look at house prices on Zillow to get an idea of the prices in the neighborhoods and look at your budget to figure out where you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM
 
177 posts, read 233,824 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
The 17 series bus lines run through west Springfield and Burke. They are express busses that take you to the Pentagon metro. With your smart card, the discount for taking a bus before/after the metro is automatically applied. Homes in my neighborhood (Kings Park) were built in 1961-1964 which makes them 50+ years old. I think many of the subdivisions along Braddock Road date from the 1960's on.

Look at house prices on Zillow to get an idea of the prices in the neighborhoods and look at your budget to figure out where you can afford.
Thanks. Not 18 series?

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/18a-r.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top