Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,284 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I know there are many similar threads out there but i just wanna see how you guys think of my situation.

I have never hired a traffic lawyer before, and this is actually my first ticket. It seems like VA is rather notorious for being not lenient relative to other states, so I wanna see if it makes sense at all to hire a lawyer to fight the case. Best outcome would be case being dismissed, but i'll be fine with having no record at all if i go to driving school or pay the fine. I just want nothing on my record bcuz my company's gonna do background check (I just got employed) and i don't want anything to possibly make my life more stressful. Plus I'm traveling with my parents now so I really don't wanna come back in the middle to show up in court.

So I was speeding, 62mph on 45 limit. It was about 2am or so, I was picking up my parents from dulles airport, and few other factors that i can throw out to possibly get the mercy out of judge. But is it worth it to hire a traffic lawyer? what's the price?

If you guys have any advice, or personal experience to share, It would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 02:53 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
First off a speeding ticket will not harm your employment unless you're doing something with some extensive driving involved and even then I can't see 1 speeding ticket being an impediment. Also, you have the right to contest the ticket and even hire an attorney. If you're looking to beat the ticket then you have the best chance with an attorney. If you're just hoping to reduce the speeding amount and the fine then is it really worth it for what it costs for an attorney? I would not think so. Most insurance companies do not slam drivers over a first moving violation unless it's something like Reckless. I would go to court on my own and ask the officer for help in getting it reduced to 54/45. If you don't like the way things are going you can always ask for a continuance so you can obtain an attorney.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
I've had a speeding ticket in Greene County too. The speed limit drops from 65 to 45 on Rte. 29 when you get into a commercial area; I'd made the drive a few times before, but simply wasn't paying attention and hadn't dropped my speed accordingly. The officer was very nice but declined to give me a break because "I'd have to do that for everyone." I've since heard Greene County is pretty tough on speeders.

I never considered going to court because I actually was speeding, and it wasn't worth it to me to take the time off work to travel down there for court, etc. A speeding ticket shouldn't be an issue with your job unless your position involves driving. Are they actually checking your driving record? If not, I'm not sure how they would find out about a speeding ticket, nor should it already show up. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:41 AM

359 posts, read 476,990 times
It is just a speeding ticket, not a reckless with all those additional headaches. Lawyer + Court Fees will cost more than just paying the fine. If it were me, I'd pay the fine and move along.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Don't forget to include the real possibility that his insurance will go up for the next several years. If the OP is as young as he appears to be, this could end up costing him a small fortune. My advise is to at least take driving school, and it's never a bad idea to go to court with legal representation. To me "just paying the fine" and taking one's lumps is not good advice.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Don't forget to include the real possibility that his insurance will go up for the next several years. If the OP is as young as he appears to be, this could end up costing him a small fortune. My advise is to at least take driving school, and it's never a bad idea to go to court with legal representation. To me "just paying the fine" and taking one's lumps is not good advice.
You have got to be an attorney. No one will register and have this be their first post.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:42 AM

359 posts, read 476,990 times
"Just paying the fine" actually would keep the OP away from court at all. Such a mechanism exists.

If this were reckless, I would urge him to lawyer up and do everything possible to reduce it. Since it is just a speeding ticket and he seems to have a clean record, paying it is the quickest way to put this behind him. Insurance premiums might go up, but as he gets older and married they will drop anyways.

OP, if you do want to fight this and keep your record 100% clear then yes, a lawyer + going to driving school is probably your best bet. Even without a lawyer, you may be able to get the judge to agree to reducing the fine/impact on your record if you complete driving school.

In my experience (I have had a few tickets) if you admit fault without a litany of excuses, provide proof that you are an upstanding citizen, and ask for a lower penalty in exchange for driving school the judge is likely to agree.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,284 times
Thank you guys for all the advice. Right now, I'm in Boston, planning to travel along the west coast starting tomorrow, so myself being in the court is not really an option that I am considering now. (In addition, i'm flying out to travel Asia for June and July, so it really is not an option, unless I get a continuance all the way into mid-late July. by the way is that possible and can i get a continuance by calling the clerk...?)

I'm 25 now, and my insurance ends in September, would renewing it trigger the check and increase my insurance? if anyone had similar experience on that, I'd appreciate it

As for the job offer, I don't think it will be a big deal, (it's an accounting firm so..) but i just wanted to double check

Housing and traveling have given me enough headache, not to mention upcoming travel to Asia, so this ticket was really another pain in my butt, but Thanks again guys!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Don't forget to include the real possibility that his insurance will go up for the next several years. If the OP is as young as he appears to be, this could end up costing him a small fortune.
I really think this "insurance rising" thing is a myth that continues to perpetuate itself. Somewhere around 20% of drivers will get ticketed in some form this year, depending on what source you want to use.

From another site "Of those polled, 23 percent had gotten traffic tickets. Among ticket recipients, only 31 percent said they’re paying more for car insurance as a result." I wonder how many tickets on average the people paying more have?

No way a single ticket is jacking up your insurance 30% or whatever fear mongering amount you want to quote. I have State Farm and asked what a ticket would do and they flat out told me they wouldn't even find about basic tickets (or care to raise my rates) unless I got enough negative points to suspend/dui/etc.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:48 AM

531 posts, read 1,429,049 times
Hi Bigfoot and Boyd888, sorry to insert my question here. If a traffic ticket shows "current" status in the Virginia online court system searchable database, does it mean it's also active in one's driving records? I have one ticket that's almost five years old. And the offense was fail to obey stop sign. It still shows as "current" in the court system database. But if I understand correctly, this type of offense should be dropped off one's driving record after three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia