Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times

Advertisements

My property is in FX County of VA. The lease is up on June 30th and the Tenant has NOT paid his June rent. Nor he has any intention of moving out. Moreover, the tenant demands FULL security deposit back PRIOR the Lease's end. Uses threats, not allowing access for 19 days to my RE Agent.

DID ANY LANDLORD MOVE-IN TO HIS OWN HOUSE UPON SERVING A PROPER TERMINATION NOTICE AND INVOLVED POLICE'S HELP IN DOING SO? Please share your experience.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,788,995 times
Perhaps this website will be helpful: Eviction Procedures*- Fairfax County, Virginia

If you're not comfortable navigating the process yourself, you may want to hire an attorney.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM

531 posts, read 1,431,604 times
If you follow the eviction process, the sheriff will eventually move the tenant out.

Virginia is a good state for landlords. You should be able to do the eviction rather quickly. Maryland is a different story.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:46 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,442,711 times
In some states, the security deposit may only be used to cover the cost of damages and cannot have any unpaid rents deducted. You need to be sure that you are following the correct procedures and laws.

Scroll down to page 5 of the link below, and contact Legal Aid for FFX County

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf

Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,186,077 times
Get ready to lose 6 months use of your property with no payment.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM

979 posts, read 1,779,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
In some states, the security deposit may only be used to cover the cost of damages and cannot have any unpaid rents deducted. You need to be sure that you are following the correct procedures and laws.

Scroll down to page 5 of the link below, and contact Legal Aid for FFX County

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf
I don't think the issue is that landlord is trying to keep the deposit for the missing rent, but rather a landlord shouldn't return the deposit to the tenant until AFTER the tenant moves out so the landlord can assess any potential damages/required fixes that should be deducted from that deposit.

Craziness for a tenant to demand on getting the deposit back before they move out. Makes no sense!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,016,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I don't think the issue is that landlord is trying to keep the deposit for the missing rent, but rather a landlord shouldn't return the deposit to the tenant until AFTER the tenant moves out so the landlord can assess any potential damages/required fixes that should be deducted from that deposit.

Craziness for a tenant to demand on getting the deposit back before they move out. Makes no sense!
Yeah that defeats the whole purpose of it. Sounds like a mess. Hope you are able to get this resolved OP.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM

109 posts, read 156,106 times
I'll help you out

I am assuming you aren't covered by the Landlord/Tenant handbook. If that is the case, the fastest (And most expensive way) would be to hire a lawyer. If you find the right one I am pretty sure they could write up some type of letter to scare the tenant out.

If you want to navigate the system yourself...looks like the tenancy terminates on June 30th. Therefore:

#1 You can kick them out as of June 30th. Their tenancy is over according tot he lease that they signed. Pretty cut and dry
#2 They are gonna say, WHAT ABOUT MY SECURITY DEPOSIT? Well since they never paid you for June, they still owe you right? You can apply the deposit to the rent for June

Now...if in your lease it states that if you have not received payment by the 10th of the month, you will begin eviction proceedings and it is past the 10th, it gets easy.

Send the tenant a letter stating that they have to vacate the premises within the next 5 days unless you receive payment
On the 6th day call Fairfax and ask them to evict the tenant and make sure you have a copy of the letter you sent to the tenant (Send it CMRR)

Within a week they'll be outta there

Anyone else care to comment?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM

109 posts, read 156,106 times
The security deposit has nothing to do with them paying their rent on time. They have not paid it on time therefore I would evict them. I start eviction proceedings on the 6th of the month. 1 day after the rent is considered late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: