U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2014, 03:11 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Reputation: 5555

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
I likely should have more specific in where we moved to in Florida, as I'm targetting a very small, specific area of the country in NoVA, and seemingly comparing it to the entire state of Florida, which wasn't my intention.

We moved to Saint Johns Florida, in Saint Johns county if you care to research it. It's south of Jacksonville, and just north of Saint Augustine. I'm aware a lot of Florida (and most states) is not ideal and have vastly different living conditions. Ironically, I call this area the Ashburn of Jacksonville in that socioeconomic status is very similar. It's Ashburn without the traffic, high cost of living, crappy weather, and lousy disposition of house poor people. The schools are 10/10, A+ rated, very low crime, and it's 9 miles from the ocean.

What's a little frightning is the growth here in the last 2 years is like nothing I've seen. Our little secret hidden gem at the beach here is exploding with growth. All our neighbors are from big cities up north, word is spreading...

While it's no utopia, it does take all the good "stuff" of a white picket fence suburb of a major city, and eliminates most of the negatives of living in a suburb of a major city. It wasn't meant as a rant or lecture, just wanted to share some positive energy based on my experiences in both places.
It started well but then turned into a rant. I've been in NOVA since 73 but was born and raised in Fla until moving here for high school. I still have many family members all over the state to include your area. I was born and raised close to you. I would never move back to Fla. Summer 10 months of the year. No thanks. Blue hair drivers trying to kill everyone on the roads. I 95, I 75 and others are just as bad as I 95 in Va.

I'm glad it's worked out for you but I do believe there is a little bit of exaggeration going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 AM
 
7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Reputation: 13936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Its great and all that Florida has very low taxes. In return you get pretty crappy schools. It's a trade off.
Actually, Florida schools are very highly rated. Often times, higher than Virginia schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 AM
 
617 posts, read 1,152,107 times
Reputation: 540
I'll never speak too ill of Florida as there's a good chance, based on calculations, that our oldest child was conceived there during a vacation. However, I would never live there. The heat in the summer was too much for me, and it bothers me that "normal" insects in Florida look like they should be commanding small armies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,685,249 times
Reputation: 1550
Also basically the only reason I like this area at all is the diversity. Pretty much only NYC and California come close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I'll never speak too ill of Florida as there's a good chance, based on calculations, that our oldest child was conceived there during a vacation. However, I would never live there. The heat in the summer was too much for me, and it bothers me that "normal" insects in Florida look like they should be commanding small armies.
We'll be on the lookout for the kids named Orlando and SoBe now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Chester County, PA
1,077 posts, read 1,426,876 times
Reputation: 1033
Everywhere has it's pros and cons, and those will often be different for different people. Not everyone has the same experience, as difficult as that appears to be for OP to recognize. I appreciate hearing the perspective of others - whenever it is different from my own, it reminds me of just how different some people are from myself. What is obnoxious, however, is when someone like OP presumes that we would have the same perspective as OP if we just opened our eyes to their experiences and point of view. To me, it is both ignorant and arrogant. Spending any time trying to explain this to someone like OP is almost always a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 AM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,473,975 times
Reputation: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
The weather is awful, the people are awful, just a bunch of transients who don't give two s**ts about anyone but themselves or old angry natives who grew up surrounded by cynism and bitterness. Every man for himself. I know, that was me and I didn't even realize it. Too proud and blind to accept there is a better world out there, and I implore you to seek it out.

Don't spend your lives wasting away up there. From the outside looking in, it's awful, you just can't see it yet.
In a way I would agree but most of the natives I know love(d) the area before it boomed in the 21st century. I would also agree that political influences and beliefs can radically change the whole area in a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,680,248 times
Reputation: 1133
All the venom from many of the replies proves my point. Not even reading the entire post before spewing some nasty comment about what a terrible human being I must be for sharing my experiences and observations.

The stereotypes of terrible schools and crime, 10 months a year of 120 degree heat, with blue-haired old ladies everywhere are perpetuated by people who have never been in this area. Do some research. Schools in this area, are rated significantly better than the schools in NoVA, check greatschools.org. The teacher to student ratio is much better, and many of the top rated private schools are located here. Most public schools are 10/10 in this county.

Regarding the weather, the highest average high in the DC area is higher than it ever gets in this part of Florida, its actually cooler than DC in the height of the summer. Fact is, most of the year, it's in the mid 70's with very little humidity, there are as many fire warnings here due to low humidity as there are air quality warnings in DC. The biggest benefit is the very gradual change, it's basically the same every day with a gradual decline in highs into the winter and increase going into summer. It's not 90 one day and 60 the next because some horrific line of deadly storms passed through.

Anyhow, just saying there's a lot of misconception and misinformation regarding this area, and I'm sure every area. CA is getting earthquakes everyday, Detroit has 100 murders a day, and upstate Maine is like the north pole 11 months of the year. We all do it. I get it. Just trying to share some friendly information... sheesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Chester County, PA
1,077 posts, read 1,426,876 times
Reputation: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Just trying to share some friendly information... sheesh...
No, that's not what you were trying to do, or, if that's what you were trying to do, you failed miserably. It is one thing to share your perspective and opinions, it's quite another to tell others (or imply that those) who have a different perspective or opinion from your own are somehow wrong, uninformed, or unenlightened. That's is exactly what you did with your opening post. And, I don't care whether you're talking about NoVA or anywhere else, people do not respond positively when they feel as if their perspective or opinion is not being respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Some defense for calling everyone up here a transient who doesn't care
From your original tirade, it sure sounded like you didn't know what you were doing up here despite having lived here for 35+ years as you said. I've never had to wait to eat, because I go to the right places to eat. I dont sit in traffic because I chose a place to live that doesnt depend on jammed up highways. I don't find others to be a-holes, likely because I approach people differently than you. And in terms of the taxes? I dont care, if it means services remain high which I still think they are and the salary ranges account for that.

You say schools and weather are yada yada yada, care to give a zip code and we can google/check stats for you? I doubt your county in Florida has a better reputation for schools than Fairfax, but theres only one way to check isn't there. And in terms of climate, ocean breezes can surely drop localized temps but no, I doubt your county has lower avg temps than the DC area, and at best similar humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top