Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,538,192 times

Advertisements

Seems like 66 will be the next highway to get HOT lanes. I think it's ridiculous we have to rely on private investors to expand our public infrastucture, but I guess that's what it's come to. I guess the silver lining is that at least HOV3+ and bus riders can fly by in them. I read somewhere else that the goal is to get construction started in 2016 or 2017.

I also read that the plan is for 3 general purpose lanes and two HOT lanes that are reversible ala 95/395. Previously, I had seen that the state's long term plan was 4 general purpose lanes and 2 HOT. Not many people are going to be happy about losing a lane. Could also be challenging to do this in the Nutley Street area with the Metro in the median.

What do you guys think?

I sure am glad I moved off of the 66 corridor.

Virginia may replace I-66 HOV lanes with express lanes, but is that a hot idea? - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,499,511 times
I wouldn't exactly describes buses as "flying by"

Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,538,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I wouldn't exactly describes buses as "flying by"
Is 65 MPH not fast enough for you?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,410,314 times
Quote:
I think it's ridiculous we have to rely on private investors to expand our public infrastucture,
Completely agree.

The only positive to the HOT lanes is it definitely works. I've lost count of how many mornings I've been sitting on 495 and seeing people fly by me in the HOT lanes.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:20 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,633 times
Whatever is done with these megaprojects, so long as land use policy lags and people can just build further out, it will just delay the inevitable. The toll road used to be free flow too. Even tolled lanes hit a threshold eventually.

Beyond this, theres the issue of contract language. Sure its a public private partnership for construction cost, but if the systems don't make money, the taxpayers are liable. So essentially the risk remains on us.

Those two elements conflict to the point that you can't have 1 and 2. You will either have 1 (no benefit to users eventually) or 2 (big problems for our budgets).

Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM

163 posts, read 315,244 times
I've been saying for fifteen years, jokingly of course, that 66 needed a second deck but I'll take the HOT for now..lol

Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
I've been saying for fifteen years, jokingly of course, that 66 needed a second deck but I'll take the HOT for now..lol
smh, what an incredible waste of limited money that would be. 3 billion at a minimum, if not closer to 5.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM

349 posts, read 1,432,962 times
I think they are planning three general lanes and two HOT lanes each direction which is probably all that will fit in that corridor without tunneling or decking. For that corridor it's probably the best, feasible solution to put in place with the contingencies that exist. Extending metro west is going to be just as expensive as HOT lanes since the highway will need to be pushed out in areas, but wouldn't have the tolls coming in to pay off construction bonds. With two HOT lanes, it should be easy to run commuter buses down I-66; unlike now where the HOV lane is jammed and simply doesn't work.

Totally agree that land use needs to be fixed in that corridor. The developments need to be more village/town like where there's a central meeting point that could support commuter bus schedules.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,863 times
Where would they start and end? I can even fathom how long this would take as both widenings of 66, both of which were about 2 miles took 3 years each

Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,458,789 times
What I want to know is this: where were our highly paid urban planners/county execs when they were handing out building permits right and left? There was NO accountability to the citizens who would endure the misery of the traffic problems created by such irresponsible urban growth without benefit of planning the infarstructure to support all this growth. Makes me think of bribes and pay-offs. No proof, but just sayin' Someone should be jailed...many "someones". Just my rant. I live off 95 south of Stafford...the traffic is absolutely insane....and will only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia