Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love asian food (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, SE Asia, Vietnamese & Indian, etc.). Where are the good asian restaurants in NoVa? We will be living in Alexandria but we figured on weekends we can drive to good food places

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
My wife and I love asian food (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, SE Asia, Vietnamese & Indian, etc.). Where are the good asian restaurants in NoVa? We will be living in Alexandria but we figured on weekends we can drive to good food places

TIA.
You might find this guide helpful - it's by a George Mason professor who has made a side-career (or at least hobby) out of visiting ethnic restaurants, of which most of the better ones are in the VA and MD suburbs:

Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide Sept 2013

I can't vouch for his reviews. I sense he may be somewhat more enthusiastic than some foodies might be, but it's still quite a compilation. The only thing I'd add is that, in my opinion, the better Chinese restaurants in the area are in Maryland, whereas Virginia has many good Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Indian and Thai places.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,591 times
Well the most famous Chinese restaurant in the area is Peking Gourmet on Route 7 in Baileys Crossroads. The Peking duck is their specialty.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
What part of Alexandria? Alexandria/Springfield basically has every cuisine in the world.

Kingstowne has a really good Chinese restaurant off of Hayfield Road in the Giant shopping center. On Manchester Boulevard in Kingstowne there is Genghis Grill which is a good Mongolian place. Next to the Noodles and Company and Sandwich Republic in Springfield is a good Teriyaki place called Toki Teriyaki. If you want kabob, Springfield has 3 billion places for that.

I don't venture into old town that often, especially not for asian food, but there are a ton down there too. Use Yelp if you don't already: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...#sortby=rating.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
If you want legit authentic cuisine as opposed to the Americanized versions:

Chinese: Hong Kong Palace in Falls Church and 88 China in Chantilly for spicy Sichuan cuisine. Peking Gourmet Inn for the Peking duck.

Japanese: not too sure as I dont indulge in Japanese much beyond sushi. For sushi, Momo Sushi in Old Town. Plenty of options also in DC

Korean: Kang Chon in Springfield, Lighthouse Tofu in Annandale

Vietnamese: Pho Viet Flare in Alexandria for pho, Huong Viet in Eden Center - Falls Church

Indian: IndAroma at the Alexandria/annandale border, Jaipur and Bollywood Bistro in Fairfax City, Woodlands for their all veg Indian buffet in Fairfax.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Well the most famous Chinese restaurant in the area is Peking Gourmet on Route 7 in Baileys Crossroads. The Peking duck is their specialty.
This place isn't anything special. It is famous because George H.W. Bush really liked it back in the 1970's and 80's when there were hardly any Chinese restaurants in Northern Virginia. As he got more famous, he and his family still kept on eating there. When he was a big time player and VP and later president, other big wigs started joining him and a lot of other famous Republicans started eating there as well. They have big pictures of these pols all over the walls. His son George W Bush was known to eat there on occassion as well, even after he became president too.

It's probably what an older person from Texas and Maine thinks what good Chinese food is. To me it is just blah, Americanized versions of Chinese food. Stuff like Kung Pao chicken that chains like Charlie Chiangs or PF Changs do better. The Thai place in the same strip mall is pretty good though, but not as good as Duangrats and Rabiang a few blocks away.

In Alexandria, I like Red Mei on King Street for fast food. It is cheap and very good.

In Falls Church, try Hong Kong Palace: Rolling With the Chang-es: When the ghost of Szechwan past sits down at the table, call in an exorcist and continue eating. - Washington City Paper

Old 08-04-2014, 03:19 PM

810 posts, read 1,025,482 times
Annandale has many Korean restaurants I like... Specifically Lighthouse Tofu and Izakaya Honey Pig.

XO Taste, Miu Kee, Full Kiee - pretty interchangable Hong Kong style restaurants
Heebeen - Korean BBQ
Tanpopo - Ramen
Blue Ocean - Japanese
Hot Spot - hot pots!

For dim sum I'd drive to Silver Spring MD (Silver Fountain or Oriental East)

Old 08-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post

For dim sum I'd drive to Silver Spring MD (Silver Fountain or Oriental East)
that is far how is the beltway traffic on Saturdays?

We visited Silver Spring a few years back, but it seems the traditional catonese food, including dim sum places, were mostly in Rockville.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You might find this guide helpful - it's by a George Mason professor who has made a side-career (or at least hobby) out of visiting ethnic restaurants, of which most of the better ones are in the VA and MD suburbs:

Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide Sept 2013

I can't vouch for his reviews. I sense he may be somewhat more enthusiastic than some foodies might be, but it's still quite a compilation. The only thing I'd add is that, in my opinion, the better Chinese restaurants in the area are in Maryland, whereas Virginia has many good Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Indian and Thai places.
Thanks. It looks like there are a lot of places to try. I guess I can write my own review afterward.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
What part of Alexandria? Alexandria/Springfield basically has every cuisine in the world.

Kingstowne has a really good Chinese restaurant off of Hayfield Road in the Giant shopping center. On Manchester Boulevard in Kingstowne there is Genghis Grill which is a good Mongolian place. Next to the Noodles and Company and Sandwich Republic in Springfield is a good Teriyaki place called Toki Teriyaki. If you want kabob, Springfield has 3 billion places for that.

I don't venture into old town that often, especially not for asian food, but there are a ton down there too. Use Yelp if you don't already: Asian food Alexandria, VA.
Cool. I did not know that. It would be great if we don't have to fight the traffic on week nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia