Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
Didn't get that at the first couple of posts. Thanks for pointing it out, suzy_q2010.
Just one reason why I get irritated when people don't read all posts before responding. Often times, someone will post a response without reading most of all of the other responses. Most likely, your view has already been posted, or is taken out of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:21 AM

222 posts, read 239,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just one reason why I get irritated when people don't read all posts before responding. Often times, someone will post a response without reading most of all of the other responses. Most likely, your view has already been posted, or is taken out of context.
Seriously? The post stands on its own. Only after many replies later did he add a passing reference. Would it make you less irritated if my post was 3rd or 4th or 5th ...?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
Seriously? The post stands on its own. Only after many replies later did he add a passing reference. Would it make you less irritated if my post was 3rd or 4th or 5th ...?
The "I'm sorry to hear of your loss" post was directly after the post where the OP had mentioned she was recently widowed.

You commented directly on the "I'm sorry to hear of your loss" post, and if you had read the previous post, you would have known it was in reference to her husband.

Flamingo - My apologies, as I will not comment on this anymore. I, too, am very sorry for your loss.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
In our old neighborhood (a short walk to Ballston), we would sometimes have homeless people rooting through the garbage or recycling. It's alarming, even though one naturally feels some compassion. That said, I think some of them are not searching for food but prescription meds or alcohol.

In our current 'hood, scrap-metal guys circulate with pickups on trash day. Actually comes in handy sometimes. I got rid of some old wrought-iron railing that way. County would've charged me $20!

Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM

222 posts, read 239,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The "I'm sorry to hear of your loss" post was directly after the post where the OP had mentioned she was recently widowed.

You commented directly on the "I'm sorry to hear of your loss" post, and if you had read the previous post, you would have known it was in reference to her husband.

Flamingo - My apologies, as I will not comment on this anymore. I, too, am very sorry for your loss.
I did and I apologized. However, being agitated by a comment to a post that stands on it own says more about you than anything else.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Um, the reference was to loss of a spouse, not the cans.

So sorry, Flamingo13.

I thought the reference was in regard to the cans the first time I read it too

Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 AM

104 posts, read 153,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Today was trash pickup day - I usually only put the trash and/or recycle can(s) out every 2-3 weeks. Had a rough night sleeping-wise (kept hearing noises) - just before 5 a.m. I KNEW I heard a noise outside, look out the window and see a woman going through my recycle can (which is on the street) and taking out the cans (she had 2 grocery type paper bags w/her) - not sure if she'd gone to other houses or not - I watch her for probably 10 mins. or so - she then picks up her bag and walks up the street. Creepy.
Did you move here from Idaho or something? Aluminum is cash money.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:04 PM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
Before curbside recycling was a "thing," my kids and I would gather cans on our walks. There was a collection point off of Route 50 near 7. A few large bags might bring $25 or so, promptly spent at the grocery store.... Now my kids are grown, and I walk the dog... but will still pick up the stray can/bottle to throw in the recycle bin.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
Did you move here from Idaho or something? Aluminum is cash money.
Uh, collecting it from people's trash is weird and intrusive. I recycled cans a little when I was a kid, but I got them our own house and maybe a few roadside areas, not people's trash.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM

104 posts, read 153,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Uh, collecting it from people's trash is weird and intrusive. I recycled cans a little when I was a kid, but I got them our own house and maybe a few roadside areas, not people's trash.
Yes, back in Mayberry where things were aseptic and poverty was something on the news. Not everyone in this region has a roof over their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia