Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,981 times

Advertisements

I've taken a job in old town Alexandria, and my husband will be joining me soon from Georgia. He will be looking for a job in the NoVa area and is willing to commute longer as he doesn't drive to work daily like I do. I would like to keep my commute to 30 minutes on a light day (I've already experienced the awful traffic as I currently commute from Fredricksburg, and understand traffic can't be helped). From what I've found in my resarch, my 30 minute driving radius would sweep from Woodbridge to Vienna, and taking the train would only shorten that commute.

We don't have to take schools into consideration, and are only interested in small apartments to keep the cost comparable to our house in Georgia. Also, I've enjoyed taking the train to work and would love to be near Metro or VRE stations which seem to be fairly close together in NoVa. Any cities y'all would suggest we avoid or focus on? Currently Ft. Belvoir, Fairfax, and Lorton are our main cities we're considering. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
Vienna looks like a potential area as well

Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
What's your budget?

FWIW, Woodbridge is about an hour commute from old town during rush hours. Vienna is probably outside of your 30 minute limit during rush hours as well. You're going to need to shorten your radius.

You may like the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria. It's near the Braddock Road metro stop. Zip 22301. If your budget doesn't allow for you to live in Alexandria - Kingstowne is nice. Zip code 22315. Close to the Van Dorn metro stop.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Find a place near a Metro station and do not drive if you can avoid it.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
I would rent somewhere cheap for the short term (till he finds out where he'll be working), like Landmark (Alexandria) or Franconia-Springfield--basically anywhere along the Blue/Yellow lines of the Metro. Or Woodbridge, using VRE to get to work.

FYI, Ft. Belvoir isn't a city, just a military base sandwiched between Fairfax County Alexandria (as opposed to city of Alex) and Springfield.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Vienna would be a very long (with traffic, or with changing metros) commute to Old Town, and given that you are renting and do not have children, I don't see the fit with Vienna at all. It really would helpful to know where he is going to be working before you lock into a year long lease, because you don't want to live somewhere that would be 30-40 minutes for you AND an hour for him, if you can avoid it. An alternative to Carlingtonian's idea might be for you to take an expensive (because I don't think you can find a cheap) short term lease or sublet near Old Town, if you expect he will find a job quickly, and then move again once he gets a job if the commute doesn't work. At least that way you will be in a nice area and enjoying a short commute while he is searching for a job.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM

116 posts, read 212,733 times
I would look near Huntington on the yellow line to rent. It will be a short ride to Old Town or a short drive to the heart of the Old Town. Budget is going to be the key consideration here. Fort Belvoir isn't really close to Metro.

Is your office near the King Street Metro or Braddock Road Metros? For the most part, Old Town Alexandria isn't all that Metro accessible, although there are buses that run everywhere.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:47 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
I commute into Old Town from Old Town Fairfax, on a good day, it take 25min, a bad day 45min (with exceptions). If I were to metro in, I'd be looking at double that time, not taking into account METRO delays (inevitable).

Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Work in old town? Why hassle with a commute at all? Just south of old town is Belle View with pleasant affordable garden style apartments to own or rent. The metro is a hike but convenient bus service has you in old town in ten minutes. If you're in shape you could probably hoof it into town in less than thirty minutes.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:10 AM

30 posts, read 46,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Work in old town? Why hassle with a commute at all? Just south of old town is Belle View with pleasant affordable garden style apartments to own or rent. The metro is a hike but convenient bus service has you in old town in ten minutes. If you're in shape you could probably hoof it into town in less than thirty minutes.
I was about to recommend the exact same thing. I like the Belleview neighborhood. It's conveniently located near GW parkway and with easy access to 495 and a short distance from bus stops that goes to Huntington Metro Station and another that goes through old town to dc. FYI: Rent is like $1600-1850 depending on the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia