Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:12 AM

359 posts, read 476,946 times

Advertisements

One more vote for Uber. Simple and cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 04:35 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Take the Uber to the metro station, unless you have too many luggages. In that case take it straight to the airport.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I've always found Red Top reliable, even with advanced reservations. (I used to travel for work a lot and had to get them to pick me up at the house in the early mornings sometimes.)

I've never used Uber, but I believe it's always more expensive than a regular cab. Plus there really should be an umlaut over the U.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I've never used Uber
That might be the reason I am a little trepadacious about using it for something as important as having to get to the airport to catch a flight.

At least with a company, there is a recourse/accountability. Uber is just people in your area, that are willing to pick you up. Having a confirmed reservation with Red Top, they not only call to confirm it, they have NEVER been late, hell I even flicked on the outside lights last time I booked and they were at the curb, waiting. Uber still just seems so casual, perhaps it's just I am ignorant to uber.

The only uber experience I DO have, is a not so favorable one where my co-worker requested a ride to be picked up from her Brookland apartment. The driver couldn't find the building, though it is on a MAJOR road, and then berated her after she had to walk a couple block to meet HIM. He was condescending and said if he knew it was gonna be in that area, he wouldn't have take the fare. Then, he dropped her 2 blocks from her destination (birthday dinner).

If I am left to catching a flight, I would rather go with a company that deals with this sort of thing on the daily, than an app that has the average Joe just show up to take you where ever.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
I have used uber several times and each time has been positive. I found the cars are clean & new, drivers are polite and good conversationalists, and for the most part; very convenient.

It is also very safe. When you call for a car, you will get the photo & name of driver as well as the license plate number of the car on your app. You do not pay cash to the driver, Uber charges to your credit card then pay the driver. There is a record on when/ where your are picked up & dropped off (in case they found your cold body somewhere the next morning ).

At the end of trip, you can rate the driver from 1 to 5 stars. Drivers who get consistent low ratings will be dropped from Uber, so there is a pressure to be polite & keep you happy. Driver also will rate you as a passenger. If you have a low rating, they may prefer to take other calls rather than yours. This incentivizes both parties be civil to each other.

As for fare, I've found them to be very reasonable. I don't know how much do taxi charges but as an example, I paid $11 from DC L'Enfant Plaza to Old town Alexandria at night. One time, I saw on my receipt that the time of drop off and location were not correct, so I replied back to Uber that I was actually dropped off 30 min earlier and ~10 miles less (since Uber charges based on time & distance). A couple hours later, I received a polite response back from Uber, apologizing for the mistake and took 30% off my bill.

As incentive, they give your first trip free or upto $30. You should take advantage of this from Springfield to DCA.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:13 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I have used uber several times and each time has been positive. I found the cars are clean & new, drivers are polite and good conversationalists, and for the most part; very convenient.

It is also very safe. When you call for a car, you will get the photo & name of driver as well as the license plate number of the car on your app. You do not pay cash to the driver, Uber charges to your credit card then pay the driver. There is a record on when/ where your are picked up & dropped off (in case they found your cold body somewhere the next morning ).

At the end of trip, you can rate the driver from 1 to 5 stars. Drivers who get consistent low ratings will be dropped from Uber, so there is a pressure to be polite & keep you happy. Driver also will rate you as a passenger. If you have a low rating, they may prefer to take other calls rather than yours. This incentivizes both parties be civil to each other.

As for fare, I've found them to be very reasonable. I don't know how much do taxi charges but as an example, I paid $11 from DC L'Enfant Plaza to Old town Alexandria at night. One time, I saw on my receipt that the time of drop off and location were not correct, so I replied back to Uber that I was actually dropped off 30 min earlier and ~10 miles less (since Uber charges based on time & distance). A couple hours later, I received a polite response back from Uber, apologizing for the mistake and took 30% off my bill.

As incentive, they give your first trip free or upto $30. You should take advantage of this from Springfield to DCA.
Agreed! I've only had positive experiences with Uber. My friends who live in the city without a car almost exclusively use Uber.

There is nothing like waiting in front of a crowded hotel or sports arena with a thousand people trying to catch a cab, and you simply hop right into YOUR Uber.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:47 PM

264 posts, read 854,881 times
I was told multiple times by cab companies that "advanced reservations" don't mean anything- it just puts you in a queue - but no advantage in being "first"- this is noticeable when the weather is bad or high demand time.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:10 PM

143 posts, read 336,050 times
Last time I flew out of Reagan I took Red Top and was very pleased. I scheduled the night before since it was an early flight, and they were there on time.

On my way home I decided to try the Super Shuttle. What an unpleasant experience! I didn't have to wait long til they called my name for the van, but apparently the others in the van had waited up to an hour, and they were all in extremely foul moods!

I had to sit in a van with five angry people in rush hour traffic.
I mean, they were actually yelling.
Swearing.
Complaining.
At one point the driver told one of them that if he didn't stop talking to him he would stop the van and kick him out!
After 14 hours of flights, I really didn't need that stress...

Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Another vote for Red Top Cab here. Years since I moved out of the area, I still remember their number: 703-934-4444.

Super Shuttle will want to pick you up 2.5 - 3 hours before your flight time.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
I used Uber for the first time last night to get home from NYE festivities and then again this morning to retrieve my car. I have to say I was seriously impressed with Uber. It was quick, easy, cheap, and the cars were extremely spacious and clean. I asked both drivers whether they thought it would be difficult for me to get a car at 5:30 a.m. near my house and both said they thought it would be very easy. I think I'm going to give it a shot for my airport trip next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia