Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 PM

71 posts, read 99,865 times

Advertisements

What can I expect to pay in taxes for a vehicle worth about $29000 in Northern VA. Moving that way in the spring and curious as to what I can expect to pay each year?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,153 times
If I remember correctly, we paid somewhere close to $1K the year we bought our Highlander and I believe they had it valued at like $39K.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
What can I expect to pay in taxes for a vehicle worth about $29000 in Northern VA. Moving that way in the spring and curious as to what I can expect to pay each year?

Thanks!
Beyond state taxes, each county has a separate car tax too. And the state's gas tax is increasing another $0.05 per gallon in next couple months.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:00 PM

9,877 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Beyond state taxes, each county has a separate car tax too. And the state's gas tax is increasing another $0.05 per gallon in next couple months.
I don't pay state taxes on my car, do you?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I don't pay state taxes on my car, do you?
I used the same lexicon in my reply as the OP. The OP asked about taxes, yearly taxes, and although each county in Virginia charges annual taxes on each vehicle, at the state level (DMV), they call it a registration fee. So technically it's a fee and not a tax but it's the same thing (unless you're asking the Supreme Court what is and isn't considered a tax).

For DMV annual registration fees, here is a link:
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv201.pdf

Each county has a slightly difference percentage they charge for their county property tax on vehicles (the county tax office calls the vehicle tax a property tax). New this year is another $10 late fee that DMV added to those that re-register after their vehicle tags expire.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:27 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,871 times
The State tax on cars is the "sales or use tax" you pay when you buy the car. It is a one-time tax...around 4% of the sales price. Someone moving here with a car already in their name in another State normally does not pay the Va State sales tax unless they've owned the car for less than one year AND can not prove they paid sales tax in the other State.

The local personal property tax is collected by the county or city that the car is garaged in. It is an annual tax based on the assessed value of the car.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,783 times
I'll use Fairfax County as an example, but all the NOVA counties will be pretty close to this.

The tax is 4.57% on the value of the vehicle, but 62% of the bill up to the first $20K is paid for by the county. In other words up to $20K the rate is 1.74%, and anything over $20K you pay the full 4.57% (on the amount over $20K).

So for your car worth $29K will you pay about $760 a year [20000*.0174 + 9000*.0457]. The car tax is deductible if you itemize.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 PM

71 posts, read 99,865 times
Thanks for the information. I paid about $600 in SC last year but I am in the county here which is cheaper than being in the city. City would have been around $800.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM

52 posts, read 64,108 times
Personal Property Tax is levied based on a number of things: the county your vehicle is located in, the town your vehicle is located in, the assessed value of your vehicle, and whether or not you are eligible for personal property tax relief.

Let's assume your vehicle will be registered in Loudoun County (notice I haven't stated what Town/City yet). You owe Loudoun County $4.20 per $100 of the assessed value.

Now let's assume your vehicle is registered in Leesburg (well, let's assume you're living there and the car is parked there). You owe the town of Leesburg $1.00 per $100 of assessed value.

Yes, you owe BOTH Leesburg and Loudoun County.

BUT, you qualify for personal property tax relief under certain conditions. If you're like me and have a Ford F250 with truck tags and whose gross vehicle weight is just shy of 10k pounds, then you won't get the relief. It's a substantial savings.

Most people I know don't have diesel vehicles, but on the off chance that you do, then note that you qualify for tax relief on your diesel fuel.

Research
Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Virginia Personal Property Tax Relief
Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Vehicle Personal Property Tax Rates
Leesburg, VA : Personal Property Taxes

Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
although each county in Virginia charges annual taxes on each vehicle, at the state level (DMV), they call it a registration fee.
I've been trying to find out what this tax is because I moved from NY where there is no car tax like this that I've ever paid. So are you saying what FFX County is calling a tax is just the yearly registration fee, but they don't give another sticker for that? I thought the stuff they gave me at the DMV was supposed to take care of all that for the year, so I've been trying to figure out why I'm getting charged a car tax on top of the sales tax I paid in NY buying the car, plus all of the DMV fees I had to pay as soon as I got here. Just makes me mad to pay hard-earned money for something that I can't figure out what it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia