Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:41 PM

31 posts, read 30,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I wouldn't worry that much about weather. There's nothing more beautiful than fall in Virginia when all the leaves start changing colors. Even though I dislike the middle of winter (January/February) because it can be cold it tends to be pretty mild here. Today it's 50 degrees outside, almost feels like spring. Last winter we got hit with a bunch of big snow storms but that wasn't the norm. It's all personal preference but I don't think you'll find the weather to be a big issue. Good luck with your research
I was showing my daughter pictures of fall colors today (just Googled nature pictures in the fall). She was delighted at the colors as I told her that it's really a magnificent thing to see. Snow is fun - and newly fallen snow is beautiful. The change of seasons is a nice experience. Thank you for the boost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
It's HER perspective as she pointed out.
Yup. I always try to make it clear I'm writing my own opinion/perspective by making sure to say things like "for me" or "for my family." We're all different, and I was just offering my perspective. And I know I'm not alone in it!

I grew up in a small town in New England. I was pushed to get good grades, took AP classes, went away to a 4-year college where I completed my BA early by taking heavy courseloads even though I was was always working 2-3 part-time jobs because I had to be self-sufficient as far as books, supplies, gas, food, spending money, etc. (my parents did what they could for me for tuition, but I am still paying student loans today). I guess I just don't believe you have to be in a highly competitive (which can lead to high-stress) area to do well because I had a very different experience growing up but still had a well-rounded education and have done well in my career.

But I left, so who cares what I think

I do think, based on OP's posts (here and in the HR forum), that NOVA is definitely a better fit for them, at least compared to HR (I know they were also considering other areas).

Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
If you want a competitve atmosphere and more successful outcome in education then NoVa is better for you. Hamtpon Roads schools are the worst out of the three major metros of NoVa, Richmond and Hamtpon Roads. Most of the schools aren't good but there are a few good ones in Yorktown etc. There's also not as much to do over there compared to here, also you have better sources of public transportation so you don't have to use your car all the time.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 AM

31 posts, read 30,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Yup. I always try to make it clear I'm writing my own opinion/perspective by making sure to say things like "for me" or "for my family." We're all different, and I was just offering my perspective. And I know I'm not alone in it!

I grew up in a small town in New England. I was pushed to get good grades, took AP classes, went away to a 4-year college where I completed my BA early by taking heavy courseloads even though I was was always working 2-3 part-time jobs because I had to be self-sufficient as far as books, supplies, gas, food, spending money, etc. (my parents did what they could for me for tuition, but I am still paying student loans today). I guess I just don't believe you have to be in a highly competitive (which can lead to high-stress) area to do well because I had a very different experience growing up but still had a well-rounded education and have done well in my career.

But I left, so who cares what I think

I do think, based on OP's posts (here and in the HR forum), that NOVA is definitely a better fit for them, at least compared to HR (I know they were also considering other areas).
And I genuinely do appreciate your opinion. It's the combined feedback that paints a picture and helps me figure out where we fit in.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
If you want a competitve atmosphere and more successful outcome in education then NoVa is better for you. Hamtpon Roads schools are the worst out of the three major metros of NoVa, Richmond and Hamtpon Roads. Most of the schools aren't good but there are a few good ones in Yorktown etc. There's also not as much to do over there compared to here, also you have better sources of public transportation so you don't have to use your car all the time.

Let's see: On one side I've got the Atlantic Ocean steps away. The other side Back Bay NWR. Amazing wildlife all over. Incredible sunrises and sunsets every day. Crystal clear skies with thousands of stars. Fresh breeze off the Ocean.

This sucks! I think I'll go back to NoVa.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadyaM View Post
Thank you for the information on the restaurants and areas. We need to decide where we're going to eat while we're there, so we'll take a look at J. Gilbert's. The information you provided is very helpful. We're evaluating these areas on (1) livability for the family and (2) potential for a successful business. It's a tall order so all of these great nuggets are terrific and very much appreciated.
Hi, I like the area. The food scene used to be blah - bad in DC even 20 years ago. There has been a boom in recent years with some of the NYC chef's moving in to this cheap (To them) and convenient market.

14th St in DC is seeing quite boom right now with condo projects being built to support it. But the problem with DC is rents. Some places have been priced out of the city as the rents get higher and higher.

A chain of restaurants I like and feel have been quite successful in NOVA is the Great American Restaurants chain. ( https://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com ) They have variety and consistency throughout their lineup.

There are some other places I like but I also like to cook myself so I am not getting out as much right now.

I look at snow as water. We all need water so I do not mind it here. I would much rather live with snow than without water.

Though not necessarily weather related the Cherry Blossoms are quite a spectacle when in full bloom.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:47 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Let's see: On one side I've got the Atlantic Ocean steps away. The other side Back Bay NWR. Amazing wildlife all over. Incredible sunrises and sunsets every day. Crystal clear skies with thousands of stars. Fresh breeze off the Ocean.

This sucks! I think I'll go back to NoVa.
I have all of that when I want it as well as easier access to DC, Phila and NYC. Frankly Virginia beach ranks low on my beach list. I would rather take the ~3 hour flight to Mexico and hit a real beach.

For someone who does not like NoVA you seem to spend a lot of time on this board trying to convince yourself.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:50 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I have all of that when I want it as well as easier access to DC, Phila and NYC. Frankly Virginia beach ranks low on my beach list. I would rather take the ~3 hour flight to Mexico and hit a real beach.

For someone who does not like NoVA you seem to spend a lot of time on this board trying to convince yourself.
Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia