Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 7,028 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to the Pentagon. We have a one year old son and are looking to live in a community that has low crime rates, lots of parks/community centers/trails, and is less than a 30 minute commute to the Pentagon. We'd like a 3 bedroom with a garage, but we could probably swing a 2 bedroom if there is a basement for storage. Our BAH is $3,000 so ideally I'd like to spend under $2500 for rent so we have room for utilities. Any suggestions? Tips? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
Your budget is good but you may need to compromise a little - I don't think you are going to get a garage and a 30 minute commute to the pentagon in your price range.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
I would drop the garage requirement. There just isn't that much rental home inventory with garages that close to the Pentagon.

If you must have a garage your best bet will be the Springfield/Burke area. There are express buses to the Pentagon that take under 30 minutes. The drive is more like 20-45+ mins depending on what your arrival/leaving time will be.

The easiest place to look would be Arlington I don't think you'll have any issues finding a non garage house for $2500 especially if you are willing to the live off the metro line (sounds like you don't need it). Craigslist is actually a great place to look for home rentals.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 AM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
Look in West Springfield (22152). There are numerous express buses to the Pentagon that will have him there in 30 minutes. We have three different express bus routes that are within walking distance of our house. We're also only 10 minutes from the Springfield metro. Your budget is reasonable for the area, although, as previous posters mentioned, a garage will be the most difficult requirement to meet (not impossible though). There are lots of really nice townhouses in this area that I would probably focus on if I were you.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...77-68343?row=2

Just saw this $2500 SFH w/garage rental in my area (I think realtor.com is an acceptable real estate website to link to - apologies, Tone509, if it is not). The Fairfax Connector 394 Pentagon Express bus would literally come by directly in front of your house. About a 30 minute commute to the Pentagon.

You may also look at areas close to the Gambrill Park and Ride which is serviced by the Fairfax Connector 395 Pentagon Express bus. These areas are zip code 22153 and border the 22152 zip code Vectorhead mentioned above, which is also a great area served by Pentagon express buses (although I believe that area is served by Metrobus not the Fairfax Connector buses - little difference, I'm just not as personally familiar with them.)

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
I've heard Kingstown is a good neighborhood. Not sure if it's close to bus that takes you directly into Pentagon though.

Are you oppose to living in an apartment? The millennium at Eisenhower station may work for you.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,331 times
Arlington is a great place to look, but you probably wouldn't find the garage. But it's a lively community with lots to do and very close to the Pentagon.
Falls Church is another good option to consider. You can find the size home you're looking for, with the garage, and the commute would still be under 30 mins (even during typical rush hour). What hours does your husband typically work? Areas in Burke/Fairfax could be good options if he goes in and leaves early, but if he's closer to a 9-5 schedule, then the commute would be more than 30 mins. Hope that helps! ...

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-06-2015 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising; please review the Terms of Service.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
There are lots of small rental houses (also owner-occupied houses) in Addison Heights, which is very near the Pentagon. I do not know if you will find a nice one in that price range, but it might be worth looking into. You will find a mix of young families, older empty nesters, and yuppy roommates in the neighborhood. It's convenient to everything.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...77-68343?row=2

Just saw this $2500 SFH w/garage rental in my area (I think realtor.com is an acceptable real estate website to link to - apologies, Tone509, if it is not). The Fairfax Connector 394 Pentagon Express bus would literally come by directly in front of your house. About a 30 minute commute to the Pentagon.

You may also look at areas close to the Gambrill Park and Ride which is serviced by the Fairfax Connector 395 Pentagon Express bus. These areas are zip code 22153 and border the 22152 zip code Vectorhead mentioned above, which is also a great area served by Pentagon express buses (although I believe that area is served by Metrobus not the Fairfax Connector buses - little difference, I'm just not as personally familiar with them.)
I assume that the HOV-3 lanes on 395 move a lot faster than the general ones, and this is how the express buses remain express? Really dumb question, but I haven't paid close attention to those lanes when I've commuted that way. I telecommute, but have a lot of meetings and errands in the general area.

395 starts backing up before 7 in the morning in Alexandria west. I live off of the Duke Street/395 exit, and if I have a 7:15 meeting in Crystal City, I leave a smidge after 6:30. No joke. The Crystal City/Pentagon exits are 4 or 5 exits down from Duke Street. I'm always nervous about being late, but I have most definitely hit traffic on 395 before 7.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I assume that the HOV-3 lanes on 395 move a lot faster than the general ones, and this is how the express buses remain express? Really dumb question, but I haven't paid close attention to those lanes when I've commuted that way. I telecommute, but have a lot of meetings and errands in the general area.

395 starts backing up before 7 in the morning in Alexandria west. I live off of the Duke Street/395 exit, and if I have a 7:15 meeting in Crystal City, I leave a smidge after 6:30. No joke. The Crystal City/Pentagon exits are 4 or 5 exits down from Duke Street. I'm always nervous about being late, but I have most definitely hit traffic on 395 before 7.
Yes, the HOT/HOV lanes usually move freely the entire distance. The particular bus I ride departs the Backlick Park and Ride at 8:25 am and is usually pulling up to the Pentagon bus depot at 8:40 am. Of course, I transfer to the Yellow Line to go into DC where I work, but if you're just going to the Pentagon your commute is pretty easy.

The only addendum I would add is that, if you catch the bus in the evenings after 6 pm (when HOV restrictions end on 395) the bus will typically sit in some stop and go traffic when it first gets on the HOV lanes and again when all the people exit before the Express lanes begin. It does not usually add more than 10 minutes or so to the bus ride home, but sometimes it feels worse than that since the bus doesn't seem to be moving very quickly. Personally, I think HOV restrictions really shouldn't end until at least 7 pm, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia