Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 70,265 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am a realtor in Bristow Va. There are many reasons why I went into the "housing business" however one reason was because I felt that every realtor I was with was only concerned with their commission. My husband is military so as you probably can guess we have gone through many realtors in the past. Here is my question...what do you value most from a realtor? What sort of services and extras would you want from your realtor? What sort of marketing do you respond to most? I ask these questions because it is very important to me to strive to be the best that I can be. I think the best way to do that is to ask...
Thanks for your help/responses. I do appreciate all constructive comments that you can share.
Carolynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,152 times
I love it when a realtor lets me know he/she will help me without regard to my price range.

I love it when a realtor takes a personal interest in me. Boundaries, shmoundaries.

I love it when a realtor continues to be interested, even when I seem confused or non-committal.

I worked with a realtor over the summer I really love (love love love). For me the breakthrough moment was when I had found a house I loved and then I said "OK, there's something I need to talk about" and she knew what it was, that I didn't have a JOB or any prospects or any intention of looking for one and she said "no problem" (granted I had assets and excellent credit, but I don't even think she cared about that - if I wanted a house, she would help me get it, to the best of her abilities, period).

Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
"what do you want in a realtor?"

Oh, not much really....just at least 10K over my asking price, no contingencies, no inspections, and settlement in 30 days or less.

PS: I unloaded a dozen of my investment properties in '04-'05, so I guess I'm spoiled! LOL

Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 PM

Default what you want in a realtor

I guess I should have expected that ....I WISH I could be that sort of miracle worker!!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
Someone who does not waste my time and really LISTENS TO ME - I hate it when you tell them EXACTLY what you want and they still proceed to show you something else. Someone who does not pooh pooh my requests - for example I have two large dogs and wanted a decent size yard - so she showed us a home with a tiny yard and told me that it would be too hot and buggy to be outside in the summer anyway - can you believe it? Was she dumb or not listening to me?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:17 AM

Default what you want in a realtor

AMEN! I agree that communication is extremely important..not only for the buyer but the agent. Listening carefully ensures that both are not on a wild goose chase!
I am taking all this advice to heart...Thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 AM

192 posts, read 263,822 times
NO SURPRISES! Oh, btw, even though they bought it "as is" you gotta pay 450 usd to have the septic pumped out--it's the law. Which would be number two: don't quote laws that don't exist.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
I agree with the other posters about communication and listening and respecting your client's request. These are just some observations of do's and don'ts that I've experienced as a client (in no particular order):
1) If you are given a specific criteria of the home the buyer is looking for, including location(s) and price range, do not just provide a daily email with a "dump" of all new listings. I can find all that myself by going online.
2) Be easily accessible to a client. Emails and phone calls should be returned promptly. Stay in touch even if there isn't regular activity.
3) Make the most efficient use of a client's time when looking at homes. Be on time and map out the best route to visit the homes. This is particularly helpful when someone is doing a househunting trip.
4) For families not living in the area, it is a big help if you can "preview" a new listing to see if it's worth seeing based on client's criteria.
5) Don't push a higher priced home even if the client can afford it. If he/she gives you a price range, respect it.
6) As a professional, I expect and appreciate your answers to my specific questions about neighborhoods, commuting times, schools, etc.
7) Try to get the best deal for me as a client when reviewing an offer/counter-offer or presenting an offer.
8) If selling a home for a client who is out-of-town, make sure the home presents well--make the necessary arrangements to have the lawn mowed and the home cleaned regularly (even if your client pays for it). Visit it regularly to make sure everything is in order.
9) Take good photos of the home and market it aggressively when selling.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:14 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I agree with the other posters about communication and listening and respecting your client's request. These are just some observations of do's and don'ts that I've experienced as a client (in no particular order):
1) If you are given a specific criteria of the home the buyer is looking for, including location(s) and price range, do not just provide a daily email with a "dump" of all new listings. I can find all that myself by going online.
2) Be easily accessible to a client. Emails and phone calls should be returned promptly. Stay in touch even if there isn't regular activity.
3) Make the most efficient use of a client's time when looking at homes. Be on time and map out the best route to visit the homes. This is particularly helpful when someone is doing a househunting trip.
4) For families not living in the area, it is a big help if you can "preview" a new listing to see if it's worth seeing based on client's criteria.
5) Don't push a higher priced home even if the client can afford it. If he/she gives you a price range, respect it.
6) As a professional, I expect and appreciate your answers to my specific questions about neighborhoods, commuting times, schools, etc.
7) Try to get the best deal for me as a client when reviewing an offer/counter-offer or presenting an offer.
8) If selling a home for a client who is out-of-town, make sure the home presents well--make the necessary arrangements to have the lawn mowed and the home cleaned regularly (even if your client pays for it). Visit it regularly to make sure everything is in order.
9) Take good photos of the home and market it aggressively when selling.
Excellent points ... although I loved the daily email - aren't those homes that are either new on the market or have changed status (lower price, added photos?). I still go though those emails and I've been in my house almost 6 months lol

Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Excellent points ... although I loved the daily email - aren't those homes that are either new on the market or have changed status (lower price, added photos?). I still go though those emails and I've been in my house almost 6 months lol
LOL, I do the same, but at least the emails I get are based on the criteria I specified and I've been in my new home 6 months too. It's interesting to see what has happened to the many homes we saw when we were first looking (and to see what comes on the market).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia