Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM

27 posts, read 35,792 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys/Gals,

I will be starting my new job as a contractor at the Mark Center in about 2 weeks. I currently live in Annandale, but I want to move to a lower cost of living area where I can get more bang for my buck. I was thinking about moving to Woodbridge, but not sure if that would be a viable option?

I'm looking for my commute to not be more than 40 minutes to and from work. My hours are from 930a-6p. The places I was thinking of possibly moving to were: Woodbridge, Lorton, Fairfax Station, Chantilly, Fairfax or any other suggestions that are farther (cheaper) from DC.

I'm looking to rent and not buy. I would be living by myself and am looking to rent a basement apartment

Thanks!

** I also plan on parking at the Mark Center and they told me parking would be 100 bucks a month. I am ok with that amount, but I saw some older posts about a waiting list and possibly there being no parking available at the Mark Center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:46 PM

373 posts, read 869,825 times
Parking at the Mark Center is free, but can be hard to get. Most of the parking garages in the immediate areas charge $50 daily if you don't belong to those buildings. Maybe the $100 is for a farther out garage? You definitely want to figure out if you can get parking before you decide where to live as it will make a huge difference. I commute all the way from Haymarket and it takes me about 45 minutes in the morning and 50 in the afternoon, but I work early 0630 to 1500 and my hybrid qualifies for the HOV on I-66.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 PM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
I'd still keep an eye out for anything in Annandale, Alexandria (West), and Falls Church, as you look at farther out locales. A commute to any of those other places from the Mark Center will be pretty brutal during rush hour.

How much are you looking to spend per month?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM

27 posts, read 35,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
Parking at the Mark Center is free, but can be hard to get. Most of the parking garages in the immediate areas charge $50 daily if you don't belong to those buildings. Maybe the $100 is for a farther out garage? You definitely want to figure out if you can get parking before you decide where to live as it will make a huge difference. I commute all the way from Haymarket and it takes me about 45 minutes in the morning and 50 in the afternoon, but I work early 0630 to 1500 and my hybrid qualifies for the HOV on I-66.
hmmm, In my interview, my Project Manager told me the parking is $100 a month at the garage in the Mark Center. I didn't ask which one, but I'm sure it should be the garage that everyone else works at the Mark Center parks in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I'd still keep an eye out for anything in Annandale, Alexandria (West), and Falls Church, as you look at farther out locales. A commute to any of those other places from the Mark Center will be pretty brutal during rush hour.

How much are you looking to spend per month?
Well, right now I am paying 860 a month for a Basement, but its really just a big master bedroom and I have my own Bathroom. I think the highest I would go is 1,100 a month. The farther I get from DC, the more bang for my buck I get. In Annandale Im renting a room, but for a couple hundred bucks more, I could get my own apt. or a basement apt. with my own kitchen...I would just have to move farther out...but I dont know what the commute will look like, especially with my hours being what they are.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 PM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdZDuBZ View Post
hmmm, In my interview, my Project Manager told me the parking is $100 a month at the garage in the Mark Center. I didn't ask which one, but I'm sure it should be the garage that everyone else works at the Mark Center parks in?

Well, right now I am paying 860 a month for a Basement, but its really just a big master bedroom and I have my own Bathroom. I think the highest I would go is 1,100 a month. The farther I get from DC, the more bang for my buck I get. In Annandale Im renting a room, but for a couple hundred bucks more, I could get my own apt. or a basement apt. with my own kitchen...I would just have to move farther out...but I dont know what the commute will look like, especially with my hours being what they are.
I'm sitting 3.5 miles from the Mark Center, and the thought of commuting there makes me nervous. I've seen horrible backups very early in the morning on Seminary leading to the Mark Center. A 40 minute commute is very little distance during rush hour. I used to commute 10-11 miles in 45 minutes to my last 2 jobs. If you're willing to put up with a 1-2 hour commute, Lorton, etc. will be fine.

I know that Landmark can be kind of sketch, but some good deals on apartments are to be had. Check it out. Very close to Mark Center!

1BR/1BA Apartment - 5380 Holmes Run Pkwy

Not Landmark, but close to Mark Center

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...929940901.html

I go to the shopping center adjacent to this complex all the time. Looks okay!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...931950112.html

Last edited by TheWatchmen; 03-18-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
I drive from Woodbridve to Mark Center, takes about 45 minutes, its not that bad. And I got a parking pass no problem for free, maybe they charge contractors? There is plenty of parking available.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:22 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I'm in Southern Towers right across the street, renting a studio for $945 per month. I have a cat now so it's really $965. It would be the best commute ever if I worked there.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
I would go with Southern Towers and walk across the street. Saves on gas, time, and aggravation.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:19 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
I am confused, Annandale should be fairly reasonable and have a good commute to Mark Center. I would also looking into renting Condos.

Really it depends on how old you are. If you are younger and single I would look to stay closer into the city. There is just a lot more to do.

Seven Corners area is pretty walkable now and has bus service to several metro stops including Ballston and Pershing Drive and Washington Blvd right outside of Clarendon.

Annandale is not as walkable but should be affordable. Maybe I am out of touch.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:51 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I'm in Southern Towers right across the street, renting a studio for $945 per month. I have a cat now so it's really $965. It would be the best commute ever if I worked there.
I have read some terrible reviews about Southern Towers. Has that not been your experience there?

OP, keep in mind that VDOT is in the process of building an HOV exit at Seminary Road right now that will open in September. If you want to live further out, I would suggest finding somewhere along 95/395 (maybe Woodbridge?) and try slugging or take the free shuttle from the Springfield Metro. You usually can find some cheap places in Springfield and that would be like a 15 minute commute in the HOV lanes on the shuttle.

I would hate trying to drive everyday between Springfield/Lorton/Woodbridge to the Mark Center everyday otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia