Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:54 PM

529 posts, read 751,136 times

Advertisements

My tenant who had a dog just moved out, What are the things I need to do before the next tenant moves-in?

As per the lease, they are supposed to provide a paid receipt for professionally treating the house for fleas and ticks.

Is this reasonable to ask the tenant? And is there anything else I need to check?

Need your advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
My tenant who had a dog just moved out, What are the things I need to do before the next tenant moves-in?
Um, use their pet deposit for a really good cleaning? Use their security deposit for any damage?

Quote:

As per the lease, they are supposed to provide a paid receipt for professionally treating the house for fleas and ticks.

Is this reasonable to ask the tenant?
Isn't this a question you should have asked before you signed the lease with them?

Quote:
Need your advise.
It's actually "advice", not "advise".

Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,675 times
I've always thought the way to treat fleas and ticks is by treating the animal itself not the house. I don't think fleas and ticks are really the type of pests that are interested in being in a house without warm bodies also present. But, I'm no pest control expert so I don't know. I could see deducting money from their deposit if you visit the house and find a pest problem of some sort but asking them to professionally treat for fleas and ticks strikes me initially as a bit unusual. But, like I said, I'm not pest control expert. I can say that in the last 2 apartments that I rented and also had a dog, I was never asked to pay for flea and tick treatment. Pet deposits, pet rent, cleaning the carpets, yes. Pest control, no.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 AM

170 posts, read 199,445 times
Countdown until we see LuvVA's next tenant posting about how to get out of their lease...

Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
Countdown until we see LuvVA's next tenant posting about how to get out of their lease...
Really? What did I do wrong to trigger this? I just asked a honest question as I am new to this.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Um, use their pet deposit for a really good cleaning? Use their security deposit for any damage?

Isn't this a question you should have asked before you signed the lease with them?

It's actually "advice", not "advise".
Thanks for your response and educating me on the correct spelling for advice....

Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I've always thought the way to treat fleas and ticks is by treating the animal itself not the house. I don't think fleas and ticks are really the type of pests that are interested in being in a house without warm bodies also present. But, I'm no pest control expert so I don't know. I could see deducting money from their deposit if you visit the house and find a pest problem of some sort but asking them to professionally treat for fleas and ticks strikes me initially as a bit unusual. But, like I said, I'm not pest control expert. I can say that in the last 2 apartments that I rented and also had a dog, I was never asked to pay for flea and tick treatment. Pet deposits, pet rent, cleaning the carpets, yes. Pest control, no.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Really? What did I do wrong to trigger this? I just asked a honest question as I am new to this.
Read this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ility-law.html

Ensure the carpets are deodorized and cleaned really well. If their pet caused any damage to the home - carpets, chewed baseboards, torn window screens - deduct it from their security deposit.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Read this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ility-law.html

Ensure the carpets are deodorized and cleaned really well. If their pet caused any damage to the home - carpets, chewed baseboards, torn window screens - deduct it from their security deposit.
Hi HokieFan,

Thanks for the link, I did go through that and it seems you have helped the other member a lot. That's great.

When my tenant moved out, I didn't see any carpet damage or smell (BTW, that was a brand new carpet which I changed before that tenant moved in). I learned a few from your link that pet's urine could have damaged the carpet. I didn't see any damage though but didn't lift carpets to see if sub-floor is damaged.

My main concern was due to pet's presence, Do I need to treat the house for flea/ticks to help the new tenant? I just want to take care of the new tenant. The new tenant didn't raise any issue when he did a walk-through. He was happy the way it is now, didn't complain of smell etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
Quote:
Hi HokieFan,

Thanks for the link, I did go through that and it seems you have helped the other member a lot. That's great.

When my tenant moved out, I didn't see any carpet damage or smell (BTW, that was a brand new carpet which I changed before that tenant moved in). I learned a few from your link that pet's urine could have damaged the carpet. I didn't see any damage though but didn't lift carpets to see if sub-floor is damaged.

My main concern was due to pet's presence, Do I need to treat the house for flea/ticks to help the new tenant? I just want to take care of the new tenant. The new tenant didn't raise any issue when he did a walk-through. He was happy the way it is now, didn't complain of smell etc.
If I rented your place with my baby, who crawls on the floor and eats stuff, I would sue your a$$ to high heaven should she get a tick within the apartment.
Thoroughly clean your place as if you are protecting your baby girl from Lyme Disease.
And I want to know while looking at your place that previous owners had pets there. ( I always ask anyway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia