Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,319,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Where would you say Downtown Tyson's is? Like you are sitting around with your friends and say "Hey let's go downtown". Where exactly is that?
The intersection of gallows/international and route 7. Olive Garden, CVS, McDonalds, Jareds, gas station, bagel shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM

66 posts, read 126,204 times
There are already two Whole Foods near Tysons- one on 123 in Vienna, one on 7 between Tysons and Falls Church. Both are small. I wonder if this is intended to replace both of those stores.

On the topic of local grocery stores, there's a huge Whole Foods in Fair Lakes. It has several good restaurant kiosks inside (seafood, BBQ, sushi, sandwiches, pizza), as well as a fun sports bar. It's by far my favorite grocery store.

I have a poor impression of Wegmans. There's a Wegmans off of 29 west of Fairfax. It's one of the least pleasant places in Northern Virginia. It's a crowded store full of sullen workers and rude, pushy, unfriendly customers, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. One of my favorite memories of that Wegmans is from last year- a middle-aged woman with a full cart spotted me and my family (two young children, and about 15 items) walking to a checkout and literally sprinted to cut in front of us. Just another day in friendly Fairfax County.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
LOL. I am not sure the circles you travel in. But I know for a fact that of the many people I speak with every day that if I asked them where NOVA's downtown was nobody would say Tyson's. That is what matters.

Nationally Tyson's is in a suburb of Washington DC which is part of Northern, VA.

Where would you say Downtown Tyson's is? Like you are sitting around with your friends and say "Hey let's go downtown". Where exactly is that?
No such thing as Tyson's so continuing this discussion is pointless. When you spell it right I might ponder your question.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:52 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
No such thing as Tyson's so continuing this discussion is pointless. When you spell it right I might ponder your question.
Well, there should be an apostrophe. There isn't one only because the US Geological Survey prefers to avoid them, for some reason. This is in contravention to the basic rules of English punctuation, obviously. Same for (in Atlanta) "East Paces Ferry Road"--Pace being the person the ferry was named for, thus (correctly) "East Pace's Ferry."

Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Well, there should be an apostrophe. There isn't one only because the US Geological Survey prefers to avoid them, for some reason. This is in contravention to the basic rules of English punctuation, obviously. Same for (in Atlanta) "East Paces Ferry Road"--Pace being the person the ferry was named for, thus (correctly) "East Pace's Ferry."
Yes yes, ghosts of dc, we all love it.

Why Is It Named Tysons Corner? - Ghosts of DC

Old 05-07-2015, 02:58 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
While Tysons may not have an apostrophe, "it's" certainly does when referring to "it is".

Quote:
We understand. You are arguing semantics. Let's just say its a place with 106,000 jobs, ....
Quote:
It is binding, its just that its written so vague its not very difficult to achieve. .

Quote:
Its definitely Fairfax's downtown. Tysons is not "a mall", it has more commercial real estate than Arlington in a smaller footprint. There are 6 fortune 500s located there, .......

Quote:
Its based on the average commute distance and percentage of people who own cars also. If it was based on gas price only, .....
Seriously, I would have tagged you as better than to deflect with a grammar complaint.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:01 PM

@spencgr, lol alright I cop to the fact that I often leave out the apostrophe as made evident. I mostly didn't want to continue with Old Guard because it was going no where. I concede, the term downtown is a subjective term which depends completely on what point of view you are coming from. There are commercial downtowns (where offices are), there are populated downtowns (where a lot of people live), there are entertainment downtowns (where fun is). My view of Tysons comes from the commercial, which would be difficult for anyone to counter considering it is one of the most powerful and successful CBDs in the country, but others may see "downtown" as a place you go out at night which for many Tysons is not. Going around the semantics circle with him would have been pointless, and frankly his question wasn't in earnest, it was clearly rhetorical.

I find it humorous that he brought up the example of Manhattan though. Downtown Manhattan (FiDi) is a dead zone for night life and one of the least populated areas of Manhattan relative to midtown. Same thing for DC actually, downtown DC (ie federal center area) versus Golden Triangle where everyone lives and all the restaurants are. So actually, by most definitions of where a downtown is in an urban ecosystem, Tysons fits the mold quite well.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:35 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
Jiminy crickets, people. "Downtown" in popular usage means "the place where everyone goes to shop." Traditionally there was only one such place in a given city. Obviously, there are now cities (e.g., NYC, Atlanta) with more than one such area (thus the need for a "Midtown" to distinguish the "second downtown" from the original one).

At the same time, you can't ignore the context of the locally understood meaning. If a neighbor said to me, "I'm about to head downtown," I would infer that they mean DC--even though Arlington's original downtown was Clarendon and even though there are even bigger shopping areas in Arlington, such as Pentagon City and Crystal City. (And a ton of people here shop in Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads. Yes, I added the apostrophe just then.) And yet no one refers to any of those places as "downtown."

Although Tyson's Corner is not the historic downtown of anywhere, no one would deny it's a huge shopping area (as well as an area where people live and work) and a hugely important nexus of commerce. By the traditional definition, it's definitely a downtown. But due to the history of this area, in our local NoVA patois, no one calls it "downtown." So it's a downtown, but it's not Downtown. Got it?

On that note,
here's a song for you all to start your evening with.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:40 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,684,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Jiminy crickets, people. "Downtown" in popular usage means "the place where everyone goes to shop." Traditionally there was only one such place in a given city. Obviously, there are now cities (e.g., NYC, Atlanta) with more than one such area (thus the need for a "Midtown" to distinguish the "second downtown" from the original one).

At the same time, you can't ignore the context of the locally understood meaning. If a neighbor said to me, "I'm about to head downtown," I would infer that they mean DC--even though Arlington's original downtown was Clarendon and even though there are even bigger shopping areas in Arlington, such as Pentagon City and Crystal City. (And a ton of people here shop in Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads. Yes, I added the apostrophe just then.) And yet no one refers to any of those places as "downtown."

Although Tyson's Corner is not the historic downtown of anywhere, no one would deny it's a huge shopping area (as well as an area where people live and work) and a hugely important nexus of commerce. By the traditional definition, it's definitely a downtown. But due to the history of this area, in our local NoVA patois, no one calls it "downtown." So it's a downtown, but it's not Downtown. Got it?

On that note,
here's a song for you all to start your evening with.

Yep, when my mom took us clothes shopping, "downtown" meant DC....F St NW, I believe. When Seven Corners opened in '56 or '57, there was no more need for that. The Woodie's at Seven Corners was far cooler for kids....they had monkeys!

Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,098,657 times
This is of slightly older vintage, but perhaps it can be dusted off to become the new theme song of Tysons, America's Next Great City:

The song prompted a Mad Magazine parody, which is perhaps appropriate in a thread about a new supermarket (and, for bonus points, also demonstrates correct punctuation of "it's"):

"When you eat meat but hate the meat that you're eating
then you've surely got, GROUND ROUND
It's so unnerving when they're constantly serving
in an eating spot, GROUND ROUND
It may be called a chopped steak, a salisbury or beef patty
No matter what it's called it's always overcooked and fatty
What can you do?
Go up to your waiter there, and loudly pound on your table,
stand up on your chair, and shout:
GROUND ROUND, always you're serving me,
GROUND ROUND, always you're conning me,
GROUND ROUND, why must it always be,
GROUND ROUND, Ground Round, ground round..."

Last edited by JD984; 05-07-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia