Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times

Advertisements

I am not a native but some reasons to stay are: great parks and open space, good schools, diversity, tons of restaurants and things to do, mostly safe, low property taxes, low car insurance rates, older homes are well built and made of brick.

Reasons to move are: stuck up rich people, terrible commutes and traffic, high home prices, terrible pizza and bagels, no good bakeries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Great things about northern Virginia:

1. Spring is very beautiful here. Autumn, too.

2. Schools, parks, museums, sports, cultural events of all kinds. There are plenty of activities to suit anyone's interests.

3. Close to airports. Easy to get overseas.

4. All the great Fairfax County services!

(I can't think of any more at the moment.)

Difficult things about northern Virginia:

1. Summer humidity. It's nasty.

2. Traffic. The roads here are not adequate for the amount of traffic.

3. Other posts have mentioned the higher-than-average number of rude, aggressive people here in NoVA/DC. Yes, one can experience rude behavior in any community, but intentional rudeness seems to be accepted as the norm here. It appears to be a primitive assertion of power over others.

I am a military spouse/NoVa renter here from California. We've lived all over the United States.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM

192 posts, read 264,039 times
Reasons not to move to NOVA:

1. Cost of living is very high.
2. Traffic is terrible.
3. A lot of people have high paying jobs with the government, and don't do anything meaningful--all year.
4. Taxes are high.
5. You must pay through the nose for fresh produce.
6. No Thoroughbred horse racing
7. DC is one of the most dangerous cities on Earth.
8. Too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.
9. Too far from the coast.
10. Dentist/car repair/home repair is all a ripoff.

Reasons for:

1. Low unemployment
2. Relatively good public schools
3. lower taxes than NY or PA or MD
4. Four distinct seasons
5. It's the capital of the free world--possibly the most important place on Earth.
6. It's a good mixture of transients-unlike New England or the deep south
7. DC has football, basketball, and baseball
8. Dulles Airport will take you anywhere in the World
9. Trader Joe's has set new standards for great food, forcing the others to clean up their acts.
10. It's almost recession proof.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,696 times
I'm copying walkingnoelle here a bit..

BTW, we relocated from CA so I'm comparing two states here mostly (SF Bay Area vs. Loudoun County).

Reasons to move:
1. Breathtakingly beautiful spring as well as fall, very green and pretty!
2. Strong job market
3. Some areas have very good parks and the suburbs (i.e. Ashburn) are great for families with small children
4. Getting more and more diverse every day it seems
5. Schools are well funded and overall good, also lots of private schools
6. Historic downtowns and small villages, old buildings
7. Quick flights to Europe
8. Great libraries!
9. Local wineries and farms
10. Great restaurants (but the Mexican food isn't that good)

Reasons NOT to move:
1. Overdeveloped, the road/transit system cannot keep up!
2. Rude, terrible, scary drivers
3. Terrible suburban sprawl, too much vinyl siding ;-)
4. Everyone seems to try to keep up with the Jones'
5. The area is part of the bible belt (please don't be offended, just a personal opinion)
6. Stuck up people. Big time.
7. Many areas lack character
8. Not environmentally friendly
9. Expensive universities
10. Where are all the hippies?? ;-)

But you know, it's really not that bad of an area, especially if you're focused on your career. It's definitely not a "forever home" for us.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
yes, what do you think #8 on reasons not to move was about?
Ohhhh, i got it. We're on the same page.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I honestly don't get where some think people are rude - I haven't found that at all. I moved here in '82 from Pa. and have met and made friends with people from the local area, from other states, other countries, etc.

I have to wonder if it's maybe a preconceived notion that affects how those folks interact with others?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 AM

69 posts, read 256,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I honestly don't get where some think people are rude - I haven't found that at all. I moved here in '82 from Pa. and have met and made friends with people from the local area, from other states, other countries, etc.

I have to wonder if it's maybe a preconceived notion that affects how those folks interact with others?
Have you always lived in Alexandria? I think parts of Alexandria (mostly around Old Town) are somewhat insulated from the woes of the rest of NoVA.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:

You have been here a long time compared to some people. Being new here is different now than it was when you came 26 years ago.

We have had many experiences being the new people in many different communities. I can only say that if you have not been moving around like a military family, you won't understand it. Just because you have not experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist here.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I've lived in Reston, Vienna, Arlington and Falls Church also (and briefly in College Park, MD). Now if we are taking rude drivers - I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnovaran View Post
Have you always lived in Alexandria? I think parts of Alexandria (mostly around Old Town) are somewhat insulated from the woes of the rest of NoVA.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM

69 posts, read 256,644 times
Quote:
I've lived in Reston, Vienna, Arlington and Falls Church also (and briefly in College Park, MD). Now if we are taking rude drivers - I totally agree.
Given how busy people in this area are, driving may constitute 95% of the interactions they have with their neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia