Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 PM

27 posts, read 120,868 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a job in Fairfax - he currently works for MS in Redmond WA. I'm wondering how the standard of living compares b/t the two areas?

We have a house in the country 20 minutes from Redmond, 3600 sq/ft which will probably sell for just under $800,000 ... will a similar house cost more or less in Fairfax?

Also we've been looking at real estate online and found some nice houses in Chantilly - is that a reasonable commute to Fairfax?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Hi, welcome,

The Chantilly to Fairfax commute should be OK, depending on where exactly in each place. Mapquest is giving 7.5 miles (from center to center) on route 50. For the area as a whole, that's a great commute.

I imagine the square footage would come out about the same, and also would depend on the basement calculations. The issues would be more the size of the lot and the quality of the neighborhood. These could shift things in either direction.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Hi Goldenmom

Thanks so much for the reply!

Do most houses in the area have basements? And are basements counted in square footage? Basements are rather rare out here in the NW and we'd love to have one. Also we're hoping for a lot that is 2/3 acre or bigger... is that asking too much do you think?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChris View Post
Hi Goldenmom

Thanks so much for the reply!

Do most houses in the area have basements? And are basements counted in square footage? Basements are rather rare out here in the NW and we'd love to have one. Also we're hoping for a lot that is 2/3 acre or bigger... is that asking too much do you think?
Have you looked at Fairfax Station or Clifton? Those are close to Fairfax and have larger lots. I was going to say you'd get about a third of an acre for 800K on average, but the market is changing so quickly (prices going down) that you might get more than I realized. It's just my instinct, but Chantilly in your price range has a lot of new homes, but you're not in a wooded setting. The neighborhoods I mentioned might make you feel more at home, depending on what you're hoping for.

Yes, most houses have basements and (realtors help me here) I guess if they are finished, they are counted in the square footage calculations.

Oh, too funny, I just went to realtor.com and typed in Fairfax Station - for mid 800s, there is a house with 3600 square feet and .63 of an acre.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Goldenmom7500's suggestion of Fairfax Station or Clifton is a great one. You are able to get a larger lot (in many cases, partially wooded) and a larger home for your money in either of those communities. Those areas are very nice and more like the settings in the Seattle area. (My husband is from Washington State--we love it there!)

Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I know so little about NoVa, I can use all the help I can get!
Are the schools in those areas good too?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Yes, the schools in Fairfax Station and Clifton are excellent. Those areas are fairly affluent and somewhat removed from the crush of people. Fairfax Station attends Lake Braddock Middle/High Schools for most areas, but I have seen that some areas of Fairfax Station goes to South County High School.

The boundaries can be very confusing around here. Check the Fairfax County Public Schools website for any house you are interested in. There is a section where you can enter an address and it tells you which school boundaries that home falls into. Sometimes a home seller is unaware of changes made in the school boundaries.

Best wishes in finding a home you will enjoy!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM

I like to search on remax.com because they provide the schools in the listings; I guess for Virginia realtor.com does as well. But then you always want to double check with the school board (I *have* to say that). Then I head over to greatschools.net to see the ratings and parent reviews. But on the whole as walkingnoelle said, the schools in Fairfax Station, Clifton (as well as Chantilly, Fairfax, etc.) are excellent. That said, I don't know the specifics of these individual schools. We just moved to another state, right before my daughter was starting kindergarten.

Anyhow, good luck! I was born in Seattle, but we moved when I was about 12 months old and I've always thought it looked like a wonderful place.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChris View Post
Are the schools in those areas good too?
You have very good schools in Fairfax Station and Clifton. We relocated here last summer from Snohomish County and are very pleased with the neighboorhood, schools, amenities and services. I would also suggest looking at homes in homesdatabase.com as another good site for looking up homes by zip code and seeing the schools. Of course, like Walkingnoelle suggested, you definitely want to double check with the FCPS website to make sure the correct schools are listed. GL!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions and links - they are a GREAT help!!!

Unfortunately, just as I'm getting excited about the idea of moving to the Fairfax area, Hubby tells me the company is not offering relocation costs.. But I'm hoping he'll find more jobs in that area, it looks just ideal for our family.

I've loved living in Washington (spent more than 1/2 my life here!) but the dark cloudy days are really getting to me and we're getting priced out of all the good school districts.

Thank you again for all the wonderful feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: