Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM

274 posts, read 348,317 times

Advertisements

You are welcome. Good luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM

65 posts, read 67,996 times
I don't think that you need to live in the exburbs. If you're renting, check out Fair Oaks/Centreville area. Not on the metro line but you'll have access to Fairfax County Connector buses that can get you to/from Vienna metro quickly. Alternatively, You can also drive to Manassas Park (reverse commute) in the morning and catch the VRE to Union Station. Schools are pretty decent around there.
There are also older apartments building that are inside the beltway and quite affordable. Check out areas in Fairfax County side of Falls Church or even Skyline area (not near metro, but has express buses). I don't have kids but I think that FFX county schools in the west side score higher than ones inside the beltway (except McLean area).

Old 07-17-2015, 05:55 PM

160 posts, read 279,307 times
I work near Union Station and take VRE from Lorton.it takes about 70 minutes door to door. VRE is certainly more comfortable than metro, and you don't have to make transfers like on metro, and they are usually on time, but...they run about 40 min apart, which can be kind of a drag. If I were you, I would also look around the east side of the red line metro in Maryland. Silver spring area. Easier/shorter commute and likely lots of rentals in your price range.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
Just to note that train-time from Lorton to Union Station would account for about 45 minutes, as against the scheduled 75 minutes from Broad Run Airport.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:37 PM

274 posts, read 348,317 times
Swimduck you have a beautiful house and I agree with everything about the Gainesville area. The only thing I have a quesiton about is the VRE. I know plans are looking very likely to expand to Gainesville, but has there been a definite decision made?

Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM

65 posts, read 67,996 times
The extension study just started. It'll probably take at least a decade before the extension is implemented.
About the VRE - Virginia Railway Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Tauzier View Post
The only thing I have a quesiton about is the VRE. I know plans are looking very likely to expand to Gainesville, but has there been a definite decision made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia