Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:06 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,906,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Thanks for your replies. And I agree about Amazon card, not Starbucks card.

For teachers, they probably buy lot of things from Amazon on a regular basis. So, it's very appropriate to give them Amazon card.
Sorry for the slight derailment of thread. My SO prefers homemade items from her kids, even just a card. Means much more to her than a gift card. If she gets a universal gift card (visa, amazon), she uses it for classroom books/games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 AM

529 posts, read 754,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Sorry for the slight derailment of thread. My SO prefers homemade items from her kids, even just a card. Means much more to her than a gift card. If she gets a universal gift card (visa, amazon), she uses it for classroom books/games.
Thanks for this information. I will use it from next year.

I felt a nice looking Hallmark card with Christmas/holiday theme would look perfect and bought a bunch.

But your suggestion is much better as the teacher would get to see his/her students hard work and love.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,709,574 times
I drive a bus and I have always felt funny about Holiday/Bus Driver Appreciation/end of year gifts. I'm a retired electrical engineer and in a very good place financially....but I don't know how to decline the gifts. But, these nice folks have no way of knowing that I drive a school bus for fun...it's my hobby! LOL

Anyway, my kids like me a lot and the gifts get pretty crazy. I've had whole neighborhoods take up a collection....resulting in a pretty serious wad of cash. And OMG, the gift cards! Dozens of them from every imaginable store/restaurant, etc. I distribute them all to my less fortunate colleagues, single moms mostly that are actually trying to make a living driving a bus. And don't get me started on the candy, cookies, brownies, and other goodies...they must be trying to kill me!

Like somebody mentioned, my favorite gifts are the ones the kids make. I keep every single one of them in scrapbooks (13 years worth!)! Except for a special one...my first week driving, a kindergartner drew me a picture that I put in a protector and it has hung on the wall of every bus that I've had. I feel like it brings me good luck!

Today, that sweet little girl is well into her college years!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I drive a bus and I have always felt funny about Holiday/Bus Driver Appreciation/end of year gifts. I'm a retired electrical engineer and in a very good place financially....but I don't know how to decline the gifts. These nice folks have no way of knowing that I drive a school bus for fun...it's my hobby! LOL

Anyway, my kids like me a lot and the gifts get pretty crazy. I've had whole neighborhoods take up a collection....resulting in a pretty serious wad of cash. And OMG, the gift cards! Dozens of them from every imaginable store/restaurant, etc. I distribute them all to my less fortunate colleagues, single moms mostly that are actually trying to make a living driving a bus. And don't get me started on the candy, cookies, brownies, and other goodies...they must be trying to kill me!

Like somebody mentioned, my favorite gifts are the ones the kids make. I keep every single one of them in scrapbooks (13 years worth!)! Except for a special one...my first week driving, a kindergartner drew me a picture that I put in a protector and it has hung on the wall of every bus that I've had. I feel like it brings me good luck!

Thank you. This beautiful country needs citizens like you. You keep up the good work you do. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,229,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I drive a bus and I have always felt funny about Holiday/Bus Driver Appreciation/end of year gifts. I'm a retired electrical engineer and in a very good place financially....but I don't know how to decline the gifts. But, these nice folks have no way of knowing that I drive a school bus for fun...it's my hobby! LOL

This post is so wonderful! You know exactly what this season is about! Happy Holidays!

(and I'd rep you but I have to spread some around, first.)

Old 12-17-2015, 06:54 PM

4,905 posts, read 7,490,595 times
Car54 -- I'd rep you too but same spreading problem!!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 PM

406 posts, read 621,796 times
Something like Staples, Michael's etc. also would be popular with many teachers. Agree with others that Starbucks seems to be a default choice (for better or worse)

Old 12-17-2015, 09:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,372,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
My SO is a teacher and loves coffee. i'll buy them off your mom
I'll sell you mine! They stack up.

My wife traded $15 in Starbucks cards for a $20 Maggiano's card.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:30 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,302,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
This is not just related to NoVa. But I wanted to get the opinion of people in my region which is why I am posting this here....

During the holiday season, how much do you all normally gift for school teachers/bus drivers/day care center teacher/assistants?

Just wanted to get an idea so I don't gift lesser than normal.

TIA

Seriously? I don't want to sound like a scrooge but when did people start buying gifts for all these people? I know we would provide a small gift to our kids teachers in the elementary school level but I never purchased, or knew anyone who did, for all these other professions. Sounds like this could get expensive.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? I don't want to sound like a scrooge but when did people start buying gifts for all these people? I know we would provide a small gift to our kids teachers in the elementary school level but I never purchased, or knew anyone who did, for all these other professions. Sounds like this could get expensive.
Not sure how old are your kids now. May be they are all grownup already...

This has been a common practice, at least since my kid was in pre-school few years back. I have seen other parents giving gifts to teachers during the christmas party in the classroom. Lately, classroom moms started collecting funds electronically and hand over gift cards to teachers at the party. This is totally optional.

But I always wondered how much do they give, never had guts to ask them. But this is an anonymous forum where you can ask such embarrassing question and don't get judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: