U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 PM
 
947 posts, read 666,280 times
Reputation: 960

Advertisements

ECHO in Springfield also does direct donations to those in need instead of selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2016, 05:24 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,739 posts, read 8,950,593 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
ECHO in Springfield also does direct donations to those in need instead of selling.
Thanks. Not too far from work for me.

My beef with Goodwill is that 1. they were busted a few years ago for not hiring people with disabilities, as they claim to; and 2. every time I've been in there, it's been clear they aren't training anyone to do anything--especially work in retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,383 posts, read 20,186,364 times
Reputation: 16371
I went to the Goodwill on Rt. 50 last week - the employees were in the back of the store watching one of those Jerry Springer type shows (maybe it was him, I don't know). The store was a dump (overpriced garbage!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,383 posts, read 20,186,364 times
Reputation: 16371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
ECHO in Springfield also does direct donations to those in need instead of selling.
Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard of them... will be doing more research myself as well. If I'm donating, I want the items given to those in need, not sold for overinflated prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 09:28 PM
 
947 posts, read 666,280 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard of them... will be doing more research myself as well. If I'm donating, I want the items given to those in need, not sold for overinflated prices.
It took me a lot of time to find a place that gives things 1) directly to people and 2) focuses on local people. I was pretty shocked to find that most places in the area wouldn't accept baby items.

They do say on their website that items like skis and ball gowns they do try to sell on consignment since their needy families don't, well, need those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,420 posts, read 3,066,128 times
Reputation: 4433
This is what I have against Goodwill Industries. Read this, or this or better yet, do your own investigation.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM
 
813 posts, read 1,106,602 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Does anyone know of a charity that donates dress clothes to men looking for jobs? I want to make sure it goes to someone truly in need and not a profit-making venture.

I looked up Dress for Success, but they only take women's clothing. I got rid of all mine years ago.

Thanks for any info.
Hi Carlingtonian:

First of all, I'm sure you look absolutely divine in a dress!

You might want to check out Men's Warehouse. Each June-July they sponsor a National Suit Drive to collect "gently used" items of men's business attire -- suits, shirts, ties, coats, etc. -- to pass along to people re-entering the workforce who need professional clothing. I just checked with the store nearest me, and they confirmed that the drive will be held this year. I also have a few items I'd like to donate, and I'd prefer they go directly into the hands of someone who really needs and can use them.

You can find more info about this at:

https://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp...&storeId=12751
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,442,667 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Goodwills big thing is employing people who otherwise can't get jobs whether being from a disability, work history etc.
You mean the handicapped folks they hire and pay significantly less than minimum wage? Yeah, awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:10 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,739 posts, read 8,950,593 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Hi Carlingtonian:

First of all, I'm sure you look absolutely divine in a dress!
As I keep telling everyone, IT'S A UTILITY KILT THAT JUST HAPPENS TO HAVE SEQUINS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
You might want to check out Men's Warehouse. Each June-July they sponsor a National Suit Drive to collect "gently used" items of men's business attire -- suits, shirts, ties, coats, etc. -- to pass along to people re-entering the workforce who need professional clothing. I just checked with the store nearest me, and they confirmed that the drive will be held this year. I also have a few items I'd like to donate, and I'd prefer they go directly into the hands of someone who really needs and can use them.

You can find more info about this at:

https://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp...&storeId=12751
Thanks! Sounds very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM
 
947 posts, read 666,280 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
As I keep telling everyone, IT'S A UTILITY KILT THAT JUST HAPPENS TO HAVE SEQUINS!



Thanks! Sounds very convenient.
Utility kilts are the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top