Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times

Advertisements

So, I had the day off today, and decided to go to Fairfax County District Court to observe the traffic court process to gather information for my upcoming traffic court date (speeding ).

I went in the first courtroom, and watched for about an hour and a half, until the judge called a recess. Went to the next courtroom and found a DUI trial in process. They were in the middle of watching the police dashcam video of the field sobriety test.

Defense counsel motioned to dismiss based saying there was no probable cause to administer the breathalyzer. Judge said it was close, but said there was probable cause. The cop believed the subject did poorly on the roadside sobriety test and said he smelled alcohol on the accused. Good enough for the judge.

Defense counsel then motioned to dismiss based on the fact the Commonwealth Attorney was late in sending a copy of the breathalyzer calibration cert (or something like it). Defense counsel cited precedents which held defense counsel had to have the cert 7 days before trial. Defense counsel had documentation showing he'd sent the request Thurs, 17 MAR. CA stated they didn't receive the request until Mon, 21 MAR. Which meant defense counsel didn't receive the cert until Fri, 25 MAR. Trial was today, 28 MAR.

Judge asked to review the precedent, which defense counsel had with him. He even had a copy for the CA. Judge asked the CA to rebut, and she stated it seemed like defense counsel had sent the request at just the right time to....and the Judge finished her statement, "...set you up to fail. And I think that's exactly what he did."

Case was dismissed. But the judge admonished the defendant, saying he got off on a technicality and was the recipient of some very savvy lawyering. The judge said he was worried that the defendant blew a .14, and that he thought the defendant had a problem. He told him to address the problem before I seriously injured or killed somebody. The defendant left the courtroom withOUT a DUI on his record

It was fascinating to watch. And I'm not sure how I feel about it. Young Asian kid, new college graduate. He beat the charge, but he was probably drunker than balls.

What do you think about it?

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:55 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Most drunks who are in fatal accidents blow very high BACs and are often repeat offenders.

A young Asian kid pulled in FFC for DUI might not have been a threat to anyone but his mom's Volvo (especially if he was in Herndon) but it's not very PC to say that these days.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:58 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
What do you think about it?

--
Did you ask that attorney for a business card?

Old 03-28-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
LOL!! Almost! F*****g hell of a lawyer!

--

Old 03-28-2016, 05:59 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Really!

(But I imagine that attorney will be "adjusting" his/her fee schedule!)

Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Virginia has a DUI conviction rate around 90% so yes many people are going to "beat" the charges. I don't know as though I totally believe this, but MADD claims the average drunk driver has done so 80+ times before their first arrest anyway.

Plenty of people also get their first DUI reduced to reckless driving, although .14 is too high for that. Many more people avoid mandatory jail time by having their lawyer beat the BAC result.

To me a much larger issue in the court system is the reduction of 2nd (sometimes 3rd) offenses down to DUI first penalties. For example someone gets their second DUI in four years with a BAC of 0.16, which in VA is ~20 days in jail and three year license suspension, easily reduced to the penalties of a DUI first (no jail/one year license) by their lawyer. These are the people that are most likely to kill someone.

Anyway, given his BAC I'd say he is very likely to get another in 5-10 years, but you can't blame his lawyer for gaming the system that games so many.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Smart lawyer and I have no issues that he knew how to do his job. We have a few in PWC that were very good at DUI law. I never lost a DUI in my 30 years and I'm not sure I ever saw someone beat one but I'm sure it had to have happened. Officers and CA's have procedures to follow and if we don't there are sometimes consequences.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:48 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
I'm confused - it seems like the defense attorney could just always just put in the request for the calibration cert about 10 calendar days before trial and thus always receive the results within a week of the trial date and have the same result as above.

Is it up to the CA to then ask for a trial delay upon receipt of the request for the cert? What am I missing here?

Old 03-29-2016, 05:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I'm confused - it seems like the defense attorney could just always just put in the request for the calibration cert about 10 calendar days before trial and thus always receive the results within a week of the trial date and have the same result as above.

Is it up to the CA to then ask for a trial delay upon receipt of the request for the cert? What am I missing here?
Or maybe the DA is supposed to send over the cert on their own before risking any deadline issue?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

I'm not sure. Obviously defense counsel can't ask for the cert 4 days before, and then claim he didn't have it within 7 days of trial. You would think that there would be a process for dealing with late requests for evidence from defense counsel. If you get the request 9 days before trial, you hand walk the evidence over. I think this one just slipped under the rug. But I didn't get the impression the judge or the commonwealth attorney were familiar with this precedent.

If there wasn't a process in place before, I'll bet there is now.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: