Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I used the two different Manassas branches from 73 to 2015. When they moved to the one by the Manassas Airport I thought it would improve but it didn't. It got bigger and the lines just grew longer. With so many visiting there that do not speak English it only slowed things down even more. It was always an effort to try and time my visit at what I'd hope would be a slow(er) time. Never worked. When I moved to Shenandoah Co I went to the DMV in Woodstock. I took a number and sat down and was called up in one minute. There were 3 employees working the counter with only a handful of customers in the waiting room. When I mentioned to the lady helping me that this was amazing as I came from Manassas and never saw this. She said she transferred from the Manassas branch and would never go back as it was a horrible place to work.
We probably have way too many people in this area for the amount of DMVs that we have. Fortunately, I don't have to go to the DMV often. I've probably been to the Woodbridge one 4 times over the last 8 years (mainly helping my kids get their licenses and used car buying). I have never been in there less than an hour and it doesn't seem to matter when I go. However, my mother did have go there 2 weeks ago for a new license. Of course, being retired, she got to go during the week. She checked on line and saw a 5 minute wait time, jumped in her car, and was in and out of there in about 20 minutes. She said the longest part is standing in the first line to get your number, which I have always found to be the most time consuming part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Fortunately, I don't have to go to the DMV often.
Who does HAVE to go to the DMV often? As mentioned above, almost everything can be done online. I am not in favor of spending more taxpayer money to hire more people or build more locations. It isn't necessary.

The last time I was physically in the DMV was 10 years ago when I got married and changed my name. The process was so quick, that they called my number, before I could even fill out the form.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:41 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
This morning on an unseasonably warm morning, the Woodbridge DMV had over 200 people waiting for a 8am opening. That roughly translates that the last person may be seen by at the DMV counter before they close at noon.

Realizing that Saturdays are probably the busiest days, why doesn't DMV hire more people or at least extend their hours?

If everyone that needs service will eventually find a way, there may not be any incentive for Virginia to fix this issue but it appears to be getting worse. I know some will say the cost will double, fees will go up, but at some point, waiting in line for many hours isn't feasible. These are transactions that cannot be done online....

Can NOVA residents get service if we drive to Harrisonburg or Culpeper?
You can go to any DMV in the state, you can bet 3/4 of those people didn't NEED to show up in person. Almost everything can be done on line now the people that HAVE to be there is minimal. They just go anyways.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:08 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Appreciate the online recommendations but going in person was required so a teenager could take the written test.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Can NOVA residents get service if we drive to Harrisonburg or Culpeper?
You'd be surprised. I had an ill family member so was way out west and actually went to a DMV in Winchester, in the afternoon in the middle of the week. It was really crowded and smelled like cigarettes. But what saved our butt was we went to the one in Berryville and there happened to be one of those mobile DMV trucks outside it. No wait got our licenses renewed in about 20 minutes. If you have to go in person and value your sanity find one of those mobile trucks, although don't know if you can take a written test there. I did take the vision test.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:34 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Appreciate the online recommendations but going in person was required so a teenager could take the written test.
Yes, I understand you had to be there, but my guess is 90% of the other people there didn't need to be. So, if we can get those people our of there, your line would be manageable.

Maybe they should double the fees for services that CAN be done online, but for people who choose to come into the DMV.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, I understand you had to be there, but my guess is 90% of the other people there didn't need to be. So, if we can get those people our of there, your line would be manageable.

Maybe they should double the fees for services that CAN be done online, but for people who choose to come into the DMV.
Not sure how the majority can be motivated to go online. If it was easy ( or easier), companies would pay big to know how it was done.

Feedback: 2 hours. Waited in line from 730 until opening and then another 45 min. Did two part written drivers test ( teenager did this) and was back in car by 930. Woodbridge location.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,895 times
so as a new NoVA resident to switch license and title etc, which DMV location is best to avoid?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
so as a new NoVA resident to switch license and title etc, which DMV location is best to avoid?
You're coming from San Antonio?

I love it there.Used to go for work. My SA coworkers used to call my born and raised Metroplex friends 'Yankees' lol

This will be HUGE culture shock

I hope you like it

Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,895 times
Quote:
You're coming from San Antonio?
yep, coming from San Antonio

Quote:
I love it there.Used to go for work. My SA coworkers used to call my born and raised Metroplex friends 'Yankees' lol
As a born and raised Brit, i refer to all Americans as "yankees"

Quote:
This will be HUGE culture shock
I'm ok with that. Born and raised in London, UK where it is very multi cultural, whites, blacks, asians, pakistani's, muslims, arabs - I get along with all, no matter your race or religion

What I probably will have a hard time adjusting, is the size of the house and stairs!! I hate em.
Here in Texas, I'm used to having a one story 2000 sq ft property with a 2 car garage.

Quote:
I hope you like it
I hope so to. But I also hope my girls will like it, especially when it comes to winter. They have never seen snow or played in snow before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia