Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

I received a letter from a collection agency stating that I have a speeding ticket from a camera. This is the first letter I have received as D.C. Apparently sent original citation letters to my MD address that I lived at over 10 years ago. But miraculously this collection letter was sent to my current and correct address. The letter states that I'm unable to appeal due to the time frame being expired. Furthermore, I wasn't driving. My questions are 1- do I have to be personally served this ticket? 2-Do I have any chance to contest due to the fact I never received the original citation letters which were sent to an old address. 3-Does this ticket "follow" the car or the registered owner? 4-What should I do because every thing in this letter is stating that because I didn't respond within their time frame for appeal that I must pay the collection agency. 5-Will I be issued a warrant or have my drivers license suspended? Note, I'm military with my legal residence being in FL but reside in MD. ANY help or suggestions are appreciated! What will be the consequences if I ignor this collection letter all together?Thank you for your help!!!! Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHORANBURG View Post
I with my legal residence being in FL but reside in MD.
And, yet, you chose to post in the Northern Virginia forum? Ok.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:32 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I don't think any of us can answer your specific questions, but here's my thought. Just pay it.

It was your vehicle. Your tag that was captured in the photo was obviously tied to your plate which had your old Maryland address. The fact that you don't live there anymore is not DC's fault. They got your address from, probably, Maryland Motor Vehicles. Had you submitted a change of address associated with your plate? The collection agency probably did a little research and was able to find your address because they actually put people on a case versus computerization.

Whether you were driving the car or not is not matter to them. YOUR car was speeding and YOU are responsible unless you have evidence that the car was stolen. One day I was not feeling well and my car pool rider drove my car home. She did 35 in a 25 in DC and got a speed camera citation. It was tied to my car. I paid it. She felt bad and tried to pay me back, but she was doing me a favor. Point is, it goes against your car.

As to what happens if you ignore it, I don't know but I'm sure it's not "nothing."

Don't let something like this get into a much bigger issue than it needs to be and the cause you other problems for the next few years. I actually do not understand that sort of mentality. It was your car speeding. Just pay it.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:05 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHORANBURG View Post
I received a letter from a collection agency stating that I have a speeding ticket from a camera. This is the first letter I have received as D.C. Apparently sent original citation letters to my MD address that I lived at over 10 years ago. But miraculously this collection letter was sent to my current and correct address. The letter states that I'm unable to appeal due to the time frame being expired. Furthermore, I wasn't driving. My questions are 1- do I have to be personally served this ticket? 2-Do I have any chance to contest due to the fact I never received the original citation letters which were sent to an old address. 3-Does this ticket "follow" the car or the registered owner? 4-What should I do because every thing in this letter is stating that because I didn't respond within their time frame for appeal that I must pay the collection agency. 5-Will I be issued a warrant or have my drivers license suspended? Note, I'm military with my legal residence being in FL but reside in MD. ANY help or suggestions are appreciated! What will be the consequences if I ignor this collection letter all together?Thank you for your help!!!! Katie
We had a kind of similar speed camera experience with DC. I was not the driver. Ours did not go to collections agency. Never received a first citation letter. Second citation letter arrived weeks later with expired appeal time and double the fine from $150.00 to $300.00. I was mad about not getting the first citation, but paid the $300.00. Wonder how often this happens to out of area/state folks.

Suggest you pay it and move on. Be extra careful driving in corrupt DC.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
We had a kind of similar speed camera experience with DC. I was not the driver. Ours did not go to collections agency. Never received a first citation letter. Second citation letter arrived weeks later with expired appeal time and double the fine from $150.00 to $300.00. I was mad about not getting the first citation, but paid the $300.00. Wonder how often this happens to out of area/state folks.

Suggest you pay it and move on. Be extra careful driving in corrupt DC.
Seems like DC has found a way to tax out of state drivers.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,945 times
Another riveting first post on the Northern Virginia traffic help forum.

Pay it and move on with your life.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Have you been offered proof of your supposed violation ? A photo, a copy of the citation ? Are you sure it's not me for instance stating I am a collection agent, and to send your hard earned money to my bank account ? You have military legal assistance available to you....my advice would be to use it before you send anyone a check.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 AM

66 posts, read 100,722 times
I thought all cameras in DC are for traffic monitoring only

Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticx View Post
I thought all cameras in DC are for traffic monitoring only
DC has red light and mobile (parked vans) speed cameras.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
identify the family member/friend driving and get the money from them if you're not the driver, that's no excuse ....and pay the administrative fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia