Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 AM

32 posts, read 60,873 times

Advertisements

We're moving to NoVa in October.

Family of 4; one adult child at home still (working and going to college)

Looking to rent, hopefully under $2500/month. Not planning to stay in the area long term; hence the rental.

Ideal wants: SFH, 2250 SF+, in-law suite or finished walkout basement (for the adult child), pet friendly, safe area (we walk and bike for exercise daily), schools unimportant (homeschooling). All that AND a decent to fair commute for the husband to Belvoir daily.

We've considered Manassas, Woodbridge, Fredericksburg, etc. . . We're somewhat familiar with the area, but have not lived on the VA side before. And we've been away from the area for over ten years.

Please advise as to any other areas I may have missed in my research. I feel like I'm drowning in information at the moment and would really love any advice from those of you who live here and experience the area daily.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblawsonuk View Post

Looking to rent, hopefully under $2500/month. Not planning to stay in the area long term; hence the rental.

Ideal wants: SFH, 2250 SF+, in-law suite or finished walkout basement (for the adult child), pet friendly, safe area (we walk and bike for exercise daily), schools unimportant (homeschooling). All that AND a decent to fair commute for the husband to Belvoir daily.

We've considered Manassas, Woodbridge, Fredericksburg, etc. . . We're somewhat familiar with the area, but have not lived on the VA side before. And we've been away from the area for over ten years.

Please advise as to any other areas I may have missed in my research. I feel like I'm drowning in information at the moment and would really love any advice from those of you who live here and experience the area daily.

Thanks.
For a decent commute, I wouldn't look any farther south than Dale City. So that would knock Fredericksburg off your list. Nor would I consider Manassas to Ft. Belvoir a decent commute.

Lake Ridge (zip 22192) would meet your neighborhood requirements. There are some SFHs for less than $2500 although I'm not sure if they'll have all the amenities you desire.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
I work at Belvoir. Your best bet is South Arlington or Alexandria City or Alexandria in Fairfax County south of Old Town. My commute from N Arlington is 30 minutes, arriving at 6:30 Am. Going home at 3pm is about the same.

It's a reverse commute because most people are going the other way.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-20-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times
Unfortunately, your budget is a little low for SFH very close in, especially the walk bike part. Springfield and Burke may be OK also.

Here is a web site that might help you:https://www.militarybyowner.com/home...t-belvoir.aspx

Good luck in finding a place...

Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I work at Belvoir. Your best bet is South Arlington or Alexandria City or Alexandria in Fairfax County south of Old Town. My commute from N Arlington is 30 minutes, arriving at 6:30 Am. Going home at 3pm is about the same.

It's a reverse commute because most people are going the other way.
Out of curiosity, are you driving 95 and FFX County Parkway to get to Belvoir?

I only ask because I notice that there is quite the backup in the AM on 95S at the FFX County Parkway exit. And then 95N oftentimes looks just as congested and slow as 95S on my PM commute.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Out of curiosity, are you driving 95 and FFX County Parkway to get to Belvoir?

I only ask because I notice that there is quite the backup in the AM on 95S at the FFX County Parkway exit. And then 95N oftentimes looks just as congested and slow as 95S on my PM commute.
I do take that route much of the time, if l need to get to work in 30 minutes. But I take the Backlick exit to 286. It's not too bad, but I often have to gun it around the dump trucks. I once tried that exit you mention, which most people take, but it had too many pusillanimous people lined up on the ramp, hoping someone will let them merge, instead of assertively moving in ahead of the Parkway traffic.

Lately I've been taking GW Parkway, though. A lot mellower and only 15 more minutes. I just chill at 55 mph and listen to Elliot in the morning. Sometimes I even drink coffee. Imagine!

95N is pretty hairy even mid-afternoon, but it's moving. I used to leave at 5pm, and it was hell till I got on the 495N exit (going farther west to come back in on 50 or Gallows). Now I just stay on 395N till the Seminary exit.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-21-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 PM

91 posts, read 111,483 times
Another vote for Lake Ridge (22192) as a good area. Several people on our street were working at Ft Belvoir.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM

153 posts, read 173,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblawsonuk View Post

Thanks.
If you can swing -- on average -- a couple of hundred more dollars a month in rent, then you would have several options in Springfield (22152, 22153) and Burke (22015) that would satisfy most of your requirements.

Personally, if I worked at Belvoir, I would prioritize housing options that do not involve a commute on I-95.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:16 PM

32 posts, read 60,873 times
Thanks to all for the responses. Mostly you've confirmed what we are seeing (housing) and what we already know (commuting). It's good to have outside confirmation.

That said, I've seen a fair amount of houses in my price range meeting most of my criteria; the majority of them appear to be in Stafford. Thoughts?

And, lastly, for this reply at least, what about Gaithersburg to Belvoir on a normal day shift weekday? Google claims 40 to 50 mins, but that sees optimistic to me.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:57 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
stafford to belvoir yikes
dont do it

have you come across anything you like in Montclair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia