Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Actually, you really took that the wrong way as it was part of a bigger thought process. Reston's great and I love it. Plenty for me to do. It's certainly not the hot spot though for 23 year olds. But it's pretty darn good for 30 and up. It's just a more mature crowd.

My point was that maybe getting out with other young-20-somethings isn't that important and if the OP's son is more of a homebody or just likes his own company, then I'd just go to Reston and be close to work. Because he's not going to have a lot of other 23-26 year olds in his same boat out there with him.

But, please, yes, Reston is very nice.

I see what you are saying. But, I've said it before, and it's worth repeating, despite what MOST posters say on this forum, it is very much possible to make friends and date/ find a spouse outside of Arlington.

I moved here right after college and have never lived in Arlington, and have hung out there maybe a dozen times. I still made many friends, met my husband, and had/ have an enjoyable social life.

Would I recommend a young adult move directly to Ashburn or Woodbridge? No. But Reston Town Center has PLENTY of young adults, and plenty to do for those young adults. Just because it is not almost entirely 23 year olds, does not mean there will be a limited social life. The OPs son already went to college; so they have, presumably, already spent 4 years living with only people their own age. Why not become an adult and begin to live with all ages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM

146 posts, read 100,827 times
I enjoy a drink at the Lucky Lounge at Jackson's in RTC. There are a lot places around at that sort of scale. It would seem to be a problem of excess not scarcity.

Last edited by Fifty Percent Off; 10-24-2017 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
So just "artificial dining", "artificial shopping", and "artificial living areas" then?
Lol those are your words - not mine. I'm only saying it's not a true urban environment, it's a shopping center with some added condos to give it a city feel, hence what makes it artificial.

If someone is looking for a true urban experience, they'd be better suited looking in Arlington or Alexandria. That's not to discredit RTC though, Reston is working extremely hard to transform that entire area from a suburban area to an actual city with an actual city grid, etc but they're not quite there yet.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol those are your words - not mine. I'm only saying it's not a true urban environment, it's a shopping center with some added condos to give it a city feel, hence what makes it artificial.

If someone is looking for a true urban experience, they'd be better suited looking in Arlington or Alexandria. That's not to discredit RTC though, Reston is working extremely hard to transform that entire area from a suburban area to an actual city with an actual city grid, etc but they're not quite there yet.
While that is true, I don't see where the OP is requesting an urban enviroment.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:54 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I see what you are saying. But, I've said it before, and it's worth repeating, despite what MOST posters say on this forum, it is very much possible to make friends and date/ find a spouse outside of Arlington.

I moved here right after college and have never lived in Arlington, and have hung out there maybe a dozen times. I still made many friends, met my husband, and had/ have an enjoyable social life.

Would I recommend a young adult move directly to Ashburn or Woodbridge? No. But Reston Town Center has PLENTY of young adults, and plenty to do for those young adults. Just because it is not almost entirely 23 year olds, does not mean there will be a limited social life. The OPs son already went to college; so they have, presumably, already spent 4 years living with only people their own age. Why not become an adult and begin to live with all ages?
I tend to agree with you but I can only relate to my own kids (and their friends) who are in the 22-28 y/o demographic. Reston is not even on their radar. My son loves going there, thinks it nice, wouldn't give a thought to living there. Period. Now, as to Arlington, my 26 y/o rolls her eyes over that. She has no desire to live there, thinks it too "frat-ish". She prefers living in DC, which she does, and loves it. Apparently it's the scene for that age group (but so is Clarendon/Arlington). My good friend's daughter is 30 and spent 8 years in Clarendon and still loves it, not a partier either.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While that is true, I don't see where the OP is requesting an urban enviroment.
Oh... good point. Lol I just quickly glanced over the OP's comment and assumed I knew what he/she was looking for when I saw "23 years old"

OP - Reston Town Center could actually work, since that's where he will be working.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:32 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,436 times
Reston Town Center is a great option. I’m a Millenial and wouldn’t mind living there. A lot of people I see on dating apps are up that way because they want to live near work and don’t want to kill themselves commuting and don’t care for the douche party vibe in Arlington.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:17 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
When did this turn into a "damn Arlington and it's party vibe" thread? Not every millennial under the sun in Arlington is a partier. In my house, 4 guys under 30 and we rarely party. If one wanted to be close to the party life but not on top of it, they can choose Westover or East Falls Church which you can still be close to the action but have quiet too.

For the OP, RTC will probably have enough to keep a low-moderate partier busy.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
When did this turn into a "damn Arlington and it's party vibe" thread? Not every millennial under the sun in Arlington is a partier. In my house, 4 guys under 30 and we rarely party. If one wanted to be close to the party life but not on top of it, they can choose Westover or East Falls Church which you can still be close to the action but have quiet too.

For the OP, RTC will probably have enough to keep a low-moderate partier busy.
I agree with you that not everyone in Arlington parties. I know of some chill spots. But mostly, the options for going out will tend towards a certain vibe and a certain group of people just the same as people are saying about RTC or if you went out in Old Town Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia