Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times

Advertisements

I’ve heard sketchy things about apartment hunting on Craigslist but also know it can be very successful. DS found a condo in his price range that was managed by a guy who does property management for a living. Two years later when DS was ready to move closer to work and something a little nicer turned out his landlord had something in the area he was looking. Renting in a condo place also seemed more stable than apartment renting from a huge corporation too. It can be done, easier with a roommate but can be even without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 PM

36 posts, read 39,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I’ve heard sketchy things about apartment hunting on Craigslist but also know it can be very successful. DS found a condo in his price range that was managed by a guy who does property management for a living. Two years later when DS was ready to move closer to work and something a little nicer turned out his landlord had something in the area he was looking. Renting in a condo place also seemed more stable than apartment renting from a huge corporation too. It can be done, easier with a roommate but can be even without one.
My previous living situation in St. Louis, MO came from Craigslist hunting. It was a good experience until the property owner continually told me he was not receiving my checks and demanded I pay him twice a month. (This happened around month 9 of 12.) I ended up taking him to court and receiving my extra payments back. Who knows what turned him into a scam artist.

Anyway, (lol) I took a look at a few apartments on Craigslist and found a small number of nice places within my budget. I've contacted them all. On the other hand, I've found a TON of obvious scams. And I've found a TON of people willing to rent a room but with tons of restrictions.
One ad was $1200 a month for a room in McLean. The owner listed himself as a "Christian Professional." The restrictions were: no visitors of the opposite sex (without approval), no visitors at all past 8pm, no kids, no pets, no loud music, no rap music at all, no online game playing (don't know how that would be monitored), no smoking, no open drunkness in the house, no storage of alcohol in the shared fridge, and lastly, must be willing to allow 2 house cats into room. The owner literally says if the cats are scratching at your door you must let them in. lol.
I found another Craigslist ad that literally seemed perfect until I reached the last sentence. "No access to kitchen. This deal includes room only, no kitchen." I didn't know not including a kitchen was a thing here lol.

I found a decent apartment in Falls church named "The Glenn Apartments." Studio is a little over $1k a month. Anyone know anything about it?

Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
OP, glad you came back. Those are some funny Craigslist stories. People are interesting aren't they? Sorry I don't have any info on the apartments you listed but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Craigslist is a funny place and I also have my share of crazy stories over the years! A lot of good ones too. I am not familiar with 'The Glenn' apartments but if you are seeing a studio in the Tysons area for around $1,000 a month then something is off- at least from my experience. It could be one of those rare gems we have all tried to find over the years with limited success but more than likely the listing meets one of (if not all of) the following criteria:

(1) claims a Tysons location but is actually several miles away
(2) predominately low income housing
(3) located in an old and dated complex lacking basic amenities.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-21-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
(3) located in an old and dated complex lacking basic amenities.
Interested as to what you consider "basic amenities"?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
The things most young people with a good job/ decent salary in this area want- a gym with more than one treadmill that never works, common areas with grills, a community room where they arrange occasional happy hours/ events for young people in the complex, a ****ty pool, shuttle to Metro? I've certainly lived in places without such, especially when I first moved here (my first place in Rosslyn made my mom cry) but a lot of times these are important things to consider in a complex - especially if living in an apartment by yourself off the beaten path in Tysons versus a group house in Reston, Arlington or DC proper where you are surrounded by bars/ restaurants and other nightlife within walking distance. My point is - this could be a decent place but it is certainly well below common rent rates for the area which is usually a red flag. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-21-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP360 View Post
I found a decent apartment in Falls church named "The Glenn Apartments." Studio is a little over $1k a month. Anyone know anything about it?
Thanks for passing on your rental search experiences. Very informative and helpful for other potential renters looking through this thread.

I am not personally familiar with the Glen Apartments but checked www.apartmentratings.com. You have to take comments on there with a grain (a bag really) of salt since many people just post on there when they have a personal grudge with the apartment management. However, Apartmentratings now has a "verified renter" feature and if the posts are detailed and informative and mostly positive, the site can help steer potential renters to apartments worth checking out.

I did not find any Glenn Apartments in Falls Church but I did find Tyson's Glen Apartments. Is that the one you mean? It has mostly very good reviews on Apartmentratings but reviews are much more mixed on Yelp, where it is listed as Tysons Glen Devonshire Square (same address). Those are pretty detailed so you may want to read through them to see if this is the place for you. By the way, the listed rental rates for Glen start at $1525 for a one bedroom one bath apartment, though their smallest size has an unlisted price as no units are currently available. Still likely to be several hundred a month more than $1K. Many of the cheaper decent quality apartments in the area have income restrictions so be sure to ask about that when checking on rentals from corporate rather than private owners.

Good luck on your apartment hunting.

Last edited by ersatz; 11-22-2017 at 05:45 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I think he means The Glen. It's off Lee Highway by the cemetery, about a mile inside the Beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia