Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times

Advertisements

Is your agency making plans? This should be interesting, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
*queue impending doom music* Countdown to Shutdown!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I'm already at home (possibly up to 3 weeks) for the Navy Yard mess; however, I have been hearing this on the news today and I just want to cry. It's so ridiculous and I feel so angry.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 PM

267 posts, read 511,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
*queue impending doom music* Countdown to Shutdown!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
What really caught my attention was a Congressional Research Service report stating that this time (unlike in the 1990s), federal employees may NOT receive back pay.

“Federal employees who have been furloughed under a shutdown historically have received their salaries retroactively. There appears to be no guarantee that employees placed on shutdown furlough would receive such pay,” according to a recent Congressional Research Service report. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34680.pdf

Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
What really caught my attention was a Congressional Research Service report stating that this time (unlike in the 1990s), federal employees may NOT receive back pay.

“Federal employees who have been furloughed under a shutdown historically have received their salaries retroactively. There appears to be no guarantee that employees placed on shutdown furlough would receive such pay,” according to a recent Congressional Research Service report. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34680.pdf

This is nothing new. We are NEVER guaranteed compensation. It's up to the people in charge, after the fact, to vote on that. I think some of the media tried to point out that during the last debacle, the republicans were mighty chagrined over the the shutdown and went along with the payback for goodwill purposes. Now, they don't seem to give a crap about their little game of chicken. Different times.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM

270 posts, read 909,009 times
Here we go again. If the government actually does shut down and workers actually lose money, NOVA will take a huge hit. We have managed to dodge the bullets (mostly) thus far, which only emboldens the "it won't be so bad crowd." What gets me is they are arguing about whether to pay the money we already spent, i.e. raising the debt ceiling. After much gnashing of teeth, Congress will raise it. It's too bad they we here in the DC Met have all become pawns in this game. This time it's looking worse for us than before.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm already at home (possibly up to 3 weeks) for the Navy Yard mess; however, I have been hearing this on the news today and I just want to cry. It's so ridiculous and I feel so angry.
You can now eat your breakfast at home for the next 3 weeks.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is nothing new. We are NEVER guaranteed compensation. It's up to the people in charge, after the fact, to vote on that. I think some of the media tried to point out that during the last debacle, the republicans were mighty chagrined over the the shutdown and went along with the payback for goodwill purposes. Now, they don't seem to give a crap about their little game of chicken. Different times.
My mother worked in Agriculture and USTR before retiring in the late 90's; she went through that government shutdown, and was paid retroactively. From what she remembers talking to finance people in her agency, the way pay systems are set up to automatically deposit money into bank accounts, it is incredibly expensive to screw around with. Figuring out who isn't supposed to get paid, who got marked essential and is supposed to get paid, who got changed over halfway through the shutdown because it was decided that someone was/wasn't essential after all, and all the headaches that come with changing it in general, it actually becomes less expensive to just pay everyone. Or so she was told.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 AM

179 posts, read 298,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
My mother worked in Agriculture and USTR before retiring in the late 90's; she went through that government shutdown, and was paid retroactively. From what she remembers talking to finance people in her agency, the way pay systems are set up to automatically deposit money into bank accounts, it is incredibly expensive to screw around with. Figuring out who isn't supposed to get paid, who got marked essential and is supposed to get paid, who got changed over halfway through the shutdown because it was decided that someone was/wasn't essential after all, and all the headaches that come with changing it in general, it actually becomes less expensive to just pay everyone. Or so she was told.
I thought employees, salary or otherwise, have to classify hours on a timesheet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia