Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:09 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I need advise, please!

I have an Opossum living under my deck - our Ring camera caught it coming and going through our backyard at night. I don't think it's feral since it just seemed to be going about its business calmly.

My husband tried spraying Tabasco and put mothballs all around the deck, hoping the creature would abandon our property, but all it did was to make me abandon my deck as the smell was positively nauseating!

Then I went to Fairfax County Animal Control website to read up about options. Turned out they don't do small nuisance issues like this, and I also found out it's illegal in the State of Virginia to trap and relocate an animal to another area, so I will have to call an animal removal service to solve this problem.

Has anyone used such service before? Are they expensive? How does it work? We're city people through and through - I had to look up the internet to match the creature's image on my ring camera to identify it! So we're not going to do the trapping (or killing) ourselves.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
An animal control guy will likely charge you a couple hundred dollars to remove the animal.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Call your animal shelter and see what they say. Is it bothering you?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:24 AM

Thank you. I'm looking them up and trying to narrow down my choices before calling. I also need to find out if they provide some sort of guarantee as I really don't know what to expect at this time.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Call your animal shelter and see what they say. Is it bothering you?
I guess it's bothering me mentally more than physically, does that make sense? I'm just afraid of Rabies or something nasty like that.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM

566 posts, read 678,011 times
A p0ssum lives under my deck too and it hasn't bothered me in years.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Maybe post this on the Pet forum on the chance someone might have info. Yes, I know it isn't a pet, but you never know.

Also, it might not be moving on because it has babies. Don't know what possums season for birthing is.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I guess it's bothering me mentally more than physically, does that make sense? I'm just afraid of Rabies or something nasty like that.
Personally, I would just leave it where it is. The possum will only come out at night, and it is much more afraid of YOU than you have need to be afraid of it. Possums are voracious consumers of ticks, slugs, and other nasty critters, so it is actually beneficial for your yard. I used to have a possum that ate dry cat food on the back step along side of the stray cat that I fed - neither of them took any notice of the other at all. At my last house I had a huge possum I called "the Land Cruiser" because its body was so large that it concealed the legs so it looked like it was cruising on the grass. It never bothered a thing; just ate bird seed that had fallen from the feeder and then left for the night. I used to leave cat food out for it as well, but the raccoon usually got there early and ate it up first.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
If you pay a couple hundred then you've been taken for a ride. While I understand NOVA is more expensive then living in the valley (I lived in NOVA for 42 years) we're seeing charges maybe in the neighborhood of around $50 to trap one animal. I wonder if you have a family there you don't know about.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 PM

24 posts, read 30,779 times
I wish I had an opossum living under my deck!! Check this out : "The study notes opossums are particularly good at grooming themselves, which leads them to swallow most of the ticks that attach themselves. Based on a study conducted by the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, researchers estimated opossums can kill about 5,000 ticks in one season"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia