Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,874,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Surely, you're not saying that's what I'm doing?

My parents were not very well off at all and when I went to college in the 80's, I was told they made too much money for me to even get a loan. I had to save and pay my own way and would have welcomed ANY help at all.
Sorry, I'm totally not trying to say that. I was making a bad joke that we "responsible parents" often get short changed in the crazy education finance world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,990,987 times
Yes we do.

I wonder where the OP went after we took over his thread?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM

262 posts, read 791,145 times
Just looked at all your input. I currently live in Atlanta (and looking to move to NoVa soon), and I dont believe Georgia has a prepaid tuition plan, so it just great that atleast there is an option in VA. Glad to know that it is only temporarily closed.

Thanks to both for your opposing views, it will take me a while to figure out which view to take!

I understand that U. Va is very highly ranked. Other than U. Va and Va Tech, what are the other public universities in VA.

Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,874,206 times
Off the top of my head, Virginia has two of the "Public Ivies": UVA and College of William and Mary. Problem is their acceptance rates are about 35%, even lower for NoVa students.

They also have a lot of good, but not great schools where you can get a very good education, but they aren't well known outside of Virginia. Those are Mary Washington, George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, James Madison, Virginia Military Institute, and Old Dominion. George Mason is up and coming and may become a major research institution in the future.

Great public schools overall, but what if you are in this situation: In at Georgetown, John Hopkins, and Virginia Tech, waitlisted at UVA and College of William and Mary. This happened to a very disappointed neighbor with a tough decision.

Or this: In at George Mason, Mary Washington, and Penn St., Out at UVA and Virginia Tech. Son wanted to play in a marching band at a major school and study in a major that Penn St. was really strong in. Ouch. Crushing debt at a school with a better fit, or relatively debt free at a school you might not be that happy with.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 PM

262 posts, read 791,145 times
Thanks for listing the VA public univs and related issues.

Also, just read the post with the Washington Post article on NoVa students having a tougher time. Interesting situation.

I used to wonder about that myself -- that kids in good suburban schools districts might have to super-excel; otherwise colleges will be filled with kids from just a few school districts. The article reaffirms that. If this situation is especially so in NoVa, I can see why you got into VEST and not the pre-paid. (However, the guarantee presented by a pre-paid has its own attractiveness.)

BTW, U. Georgia has an enrollment of 33000 (and I know it used to be much lower in the 1990s). U. Va has only 20000 -- has the enrollment just held steady or has it been going up?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM

230 posts, read 758,921 times
My daughter is currently a sophmore at George Mason University. We purchased a Virginia Pre-paid Education Plan (VPEP) for her about 12 years ago and paid it in full. It was the BEST thing that we have ever done. Since thea cost of tuition has gone up so much over the years, we have definitely come out way ahead. It has saved us an enormous amount of money for her 4 years of college as far as the tuition goes. We are very lucky to live in Virginia where there are many excellent state colleges that accept the VPEP plans.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,990,987 times
I believe the VCSP website has a link to all the schools in VA that the plan can be used at.

LVMYDACH, glad to hear it worked out for you...that's what I'm hoping for also although college is a ways off for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia