Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 07:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,912,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
Then its a wash then. Id rather do VA.

1) Closer to family that already live there (Springfield and Woodbridge)
2) Way better Second Amendment laws.
Do not move here do to carry laws

Gov Blackface has taken on the gun lobby and is super pushing severe new limitations on gun accessibility which he may get in the new very very liberal House of Delegates.

He is using it to try to save his govship

He has an excellent chance of succeeding-research it. VA is very very blue

MD has MontCo, Baltimore and the remaining is very gun friendly

Its super easy to visit relatives in VA a couple times a month than do that commute 2x per day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,217,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

You could live in Maryland; PG County

PG County to Dulles??? That is an hour with zero traffic.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I'm offering him factual information on housing options, not my personal opinions on how they should arrange their entire lives.

Anyone can find "factual" prices of apartments in different areas on a variety of websites. The point of the OP is to get our opinions.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:17 AM

36 posts, read 47,187 times
Quote:
Do not move here do to carry laws

Gov Blackface has taken on the gun lobby and is super pushing severe new limitations on gun accessibility which he may get in the new very very liberal House of Delegates.

He is using it to try to save his govship

He has an excellent chance of succeeding-research it. VA is very very blue

MD has MontCo, Baltimore and the remaining is very gun friendly

Its super easy to visit relatives in VA a couple times a month than do that commute 2x per day
I would take my chances. I can't go by what-ifs. As it stands now. Maryland carry laws SUCK. VA is much better and I already have my non-resident VA permit.

Also, VA has better....way better "assault weapon" laws and NFA laws. All which would be a positive change from New York (Maryland is worse than New York when it comes to gun laws).

But that is a topic for a different thread altogether.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
PG County to Dulles??? That is an hour with zero traffic.
Quote:
Anyone can find "factual" prices of apartments in different areas on a variety of websites. The point of the OP is to get our opinions.

Unless its MY informed opinion than i should ****. Very typical spence treatment. If spence dont like you, you doin something right.

my hubby does 1.75 hour each way commute right now

Maybe you should read the threads in MD and VA of peoples commutes.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 AM

36 posts, read 47,187 times
IF I can keep my commute to an hour or less (normal traffic) for both of us AND the price of rent under 2000.00 a month its a major win. I saw these 2 places and they looked promising.

https://www.benttreeapartments.com/ in Centreville

and

https://www.heronviewapts.com/ in Sterling

Old 10-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Unless its MY informed opinion than i should ****. Very typical spence treatment. If spence dont like you, you doin something right.

my hubby does 1.75 hour each way commute right now

Maybe you should read the threads in MD and VA of peoples commutes.

Don't know who spence is.....but if you were referring to me, I don't know you from Adam. I don't like or dislike anyone on an anonymous forum.

I, too, have a long commute (1.5 hours each way - Middleburg to downtown DC), so I am familiar with long commutes. But the OP has stated multiple times that he would like to keep their commutes under an hour for both of them. That can't be done from PG County to Dulles.

If we are just randomly picking places for the OP to live, I'm partial to Chestnut Hill in Philly, but that doesn't meet the requirements, so I'm not going to suggest it.

There have been plenty of good suggestions on this thread; South Arlington and PG County just are not good ones.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 AM

5,180 posts, read 2,761,084 times
Quote:

And anyone can give an opinion. Informed adults are quite capable of sifting through facts to reach their own conclusions. They don't need self-appointed nanny "know-it-alls" to advise them on each detail of how to live their lives--although there is certainly no shortage of them in NoVA. People come here to gather facts and informed opinion. By all means, offer your opinions. Your trolling on the other hand, isn't needed. Last I checked, the OP hadn't yet settled on whether they want to be closer to wife or husband's workplace, nor have they probably disclosed all the other factors which may lead to their ultimate decision.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-13-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 AM

5,180 posts, read 2,761,084 times
Quote:

There have been plenty of good suggestions on this thread; South Arlington and PG County just are not good ones.

Nobody on my end opined that South Arlington is a good place for OP to live because I try not to be so presumptive as to assume I know enough about a stranger on a web board to offer him advice, nor pretentious enough to assume my opinion is irrefutably superior. I offered facts and facts are also what people come here for.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
IF I can keep my commute to an hour or less (normal traffic) for both of us AND the price of rent under 2000.00 a month its a major win. I saw these 2 places and they looked promising.

[url]https://www.benttreeapartments.com/[/url] in Centreville

and

[url]https://www.heronviewapts.com/[/url] in Sterling
Both are very far fron reliable public trans. She would drive to a metro stop, pay to park, then pick up a train. You need to Google the drive times to and from a train stop then add the train commute .my guess is 30mins to a train stop then a hour to the dc destination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia