Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 11,827 times

Advertisements

Job location is a 5 min. Walk from the Pentagon Metro. Not sure if I will drive or take the Metro to work. I have 2 elementary school children to get to school first and then get to work in the morning. As I read everything this does not seem it will be easy. That is why the closer I am to the office the feasible it will be. Hopefully the schools have before and after care available. And that’s another thing. I’m looking on Realtor.com at places and I don’t see many elementary schools rated above 7. Thank you everyone! You have no idea how helpful you are....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 11:45 AM

722 posts, read 1,926,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torilyn50 View Post
Job location is a 5 min. Walk from the Pentagon Metro. Not sure if I will drive or take the Metro to work. I have 2 elementary school children to get to school first and then get to work in the morning. As I read everything this does not seem it will be easy. That is why the closer I am to the office the feasible it will be. Hopefully the schools have before and after care available. And that’s another thing. I’m looking on Realtor.com at places and I don’t see many elementary schools rated above 7. Thank you everyone! You have no idea how helpful you are....
Do you know if your job will provide parking for you, or will you have to pay to park somewhere?

Old 01-21-2021, 01:36 PM

I don’t think I have to pay for parking at my office however if I commute I will have to drive to the Metro if not within walking distance and park near there. do you know what they charge for parking by the Metro?

Old 01-21-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torilyn50 View Post
I don’t think I have to pay for parking at my office however if I commute I will have to drive to the Metro if not within walking distance and park near there. do you know what they charge for parking by the Metro?
It varies a little bit by station, but in general around $4.95 per day
https://www.wmata.com/service/parking/

Also, do you know about the VRE? It's a commuter train in Virginia with two different lines. https://www.vre.org/

My husband works at the Pentagon and takes the VRE. The VRE station isn't right at the Pentagon, but since you mentioned your work will be about a 5 minute walk, maybe the VRE would work for you? One thing to be aware of, because it is a commuter train in generally just goes into the city in the mornings, and away from the city in the afternoon/evenings.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:48 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Given your situation and desires, I STRONGLY recommend Montclair, VA. www.montclairva.com

Trust me, it's hard to beat Montclair (Woodbridge) for the good quality of life at a fair price! Not cheap, but you get more for your money in Prince William County than just about anywhere else in the DC metro area!

Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Given your situation and desires, I STRONGLY recommend Montclair, VA. www.montclairva.com

Trust me, it's hard to beat Montclair (Woodbridge) for the good quality of life at a fair price! Not cheap, but you get more for your money in Prince William County than just about anywhere else in the DC metro area!
Biased cause I live here but I agree, it's a great neighborhood. That said, houses don't come up often and typically go under contract quick, especially townhouses

Old 01-21-2021, 06:33 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,590,738 times
No one really knows what commutes will be like after Covid is no longer an issue but before Covid it was generally a good idea to live near to where you work; otherwise one spends disproportionate amounts of time sitting in traffic.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I have several friends that live in Montclair and they LOVE it.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:30 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
Quote:

I live about a mile outside of Montclair and I agree. Always wished I would have bought there back in the 90s. At that time, at least, everything was electric in most of those houses and I was dead set on gas heat and cooking (which I still prefer). But it's a really nice community.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:38 AM

Default Schools

Are there any above average elementary schools in Northern VA? Most of the ratings I have seen are 6 and below. I’m not too happy about that... Thanks for your help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia