Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
How much will I get screwed for the vehicle prop tax? Do I pay it when I turn over my PA car title for a VA title? Thanks!- leighland
How much you pay depends on your county and the car's assessed value. You don't pay a tax bill when registering your vehicle. You'll get the bill in the mail and it will show the vehicle information you provide when you register your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 12:56 PM

25 posts, read 83,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
here's the website for the Virginia DMV. DMVnow.com

The bad thing about Nova is we have vehicle property tax. Also have emissions every 2 years as well.

Is that every year or a 1-time fee? Any idea how much a 2004 Monte Carlo SS will cost me in the Aldie area?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I think you have like 3-6 months after you move here to do all of your paperwork etc.
Technically, you have 60 days from the time you move.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 PM

136 posts, read 515,866 times
Hey, regarding car tax, it is an annual bill sent to you and goes by the value of the asset. The newer the vehicle the more money and the nicer the vehicle the more too. Ours is sent every June and we have 3, two cars and a motorcycle and all of them come at one time so be on alert to have a big expense all at one time if you own a lot. Your annual registration will be a seperate bill. Our registrations and our car taxes are all due at the same time of the year so that is a pain and we always try to prepare for it in advance. I also did not have to take any test when I moved here from PA. It ended up costing a lot to transfer everything over(titles and registrations)and to get our new VA licenses however. Annual registration is $85 and an example of car tax is we pay $140 annually on vehicle assessed at $9,500. Hope that helps. Good luck with your move.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The vehicle needs to be inspected by your local gas station. I forget if it's every year or every two years. (What makes it even more frustrating is that you don't get a reminder. You have to remember to do this on your own.) You get a sticker after the inspection. It's a total rip off, just a way for the state to make money. However, make sure you stay current on this! We learned the hard way that you get a very expensive ticket if your sticker has expired.

The ENTIRE inspection fee goes to the inspection station, every cent. The safety and emissions programs actually COST the State of Virginia money to administer. The State does set the max inspection fee that a station can charge. I own several auto shops and for my very best customers....my inspectors write "NO CHARGE" on the inspection receipts.

Whether the inspection program is a good or bad thing is debatable....but the common misperception that it is "just a way for the State to make money" is TOTALLY FALSE.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Technically, you have 60 days from the time you move.
that's what it was. good catch

Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
How come some people had to get an eye test and others didnt?

When I came 2 yrs ago I had a valid NJ drivers license and got my VA license at the Fair Oaks Mall Motor Vechicles

Old 05-15-2008, 03:36 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post

When I came 2 yrs ago I had a valid NJ drivers license and got my VA license at the Fair Oaks Mall Motor Vechicles
Quote:

When I lived in NJ -
I stopped reading right there

Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Who cares that you stopped reading? I dont.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I don't know how they determine who should have one and who shouldn't. I've always had to do one, but then again, I've been wearing glasses since I was a child so my licenses have always shown the restriction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia