Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:33 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

I am a person who hate shopping. I am really tired of shopping around a new car, maybe I should be open to other car make/model.

I am looking for compact SUV.

The reason I want to buy a new car now: Current 2013 Ford Focus has Transmission Control Module (TCM) issue, and the part will be on back order (it will take a few months due to supply shortage, someone on reddit said 3-6 months). The car is still drivable, but I am a little bit concerned about its safety. Hope to buy a new car and trade in the Focus.

Long story short: I hate to deal with dealer. I have been busy shopping around recently, including online and driving around. Most dealers try to rip me off (that is part of reason why I hate shopping), so far I have narrowed down to two offers (not that bad offer when comparing to other dealers).

2022 Toyata RAV4 LE AWD: https://www.city-data.com/forum/toyo...a-rav4-le.html It is fair price to me, but I cannot get it soon, it will take 3-4 months. I am shopping around now, because I want to buy a car as soon as possible.

Honda CRV EX FWD: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hond...rv-ex-fwd.html Some people said it is not good deal.

Anyway, I am open to other make/model, but hopefully SUV. Any decent dealers nearby?

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 03-06-2022 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 08:03 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Consider using Consumerreports.com’s car buying service. You pay a fee and they solicit bids on a specific make and model of car you want (you don’t have to specify all desired options). Bids come in at various prices; you choose what to do next. The dealer must honor that bid if you accept it and go to the dealer. Works well in normal times; I’m not sure if dealers will bid during these crazy times.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Consider using Consumerreports.com’s car buying service. You pay a fee and they solicit bids on a specific make and model of car you want (you don’t have to specify all desired options). Bids come in at various prices; you choose what to do next. The dealer must honor that bid if you accept it and go to the dealer. Works well in normal times; I’m not sure if dealers will bid during these crazy times.
How does it work? Do I need to pay fee in advance? If no deal at the end, I still need to pay the fee?

Sounds like TrueCar? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCar

I use TrueCar, quite some dealers do not honor it.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:46 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Bought a used Odyssey from Joyce Koons in Manassas. Worked with Steve Hughes and he didn't play any games. Buying process was straightforward though the finance guy did try to sell the extended warranty. Wasn't pushy when I declined.

This was 2019 pre pandemic so who knows if they play crazy games these days.

Good luck on your purchase. I don't envy anyone buying a car these days.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Bought a used Odyssey from Joyce Koons in Manassas. Worked with Steve Hughes and he didn't play any games. Buying process was straightforward though the finance guy did try to sell the extended warranty. Wasn't pushy when I declined.

This was 2019 pre pandemic so who knows if they play crazy games these days.

Good luck on your purchase. I don't envy anyone buying a car these days.
I don't want to buy a car now, either. But my car has some issue, and the part will be on back order, maybe 3-6 months. No matter new car or repair part, both are related to supply shortage issue. Otherwise, the car will be fixed in one day, car prices will not surge like crazy.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:31 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Another vote for Koons in Manassas

Old 03-07-2022, 04:10 AM

110 posts, read 123,266 times
Most dealerships I have looked into in this area are charging market adjustments for desirable models. I had to look out of state to find a vehicle at MSRP when we thought we needed to buy a new car for my wife. The dealer ended up mentioning a $2k fee for out of state buyers but was still better than the $13k over MSRP Ourisman Kia (market adjustment plus dealer add-ons) was trying to charge.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyngcsu View Post
Most dealerships I have looked into in this area are charging market adjustments for desirable models. I had to look out of state to find a vehicle at MSRP when we thought we needed to buy a new car for my wife. The dealer ended up mentioning a $2k fee for out of state buyers but was still better than the $13k over MSRP Ourisman Kia (market adjustment plus dealer add-ons) was trying to charge.
That's helpful information. Which state did you buy the car? How does registration process work for out of state dealership? Can dealer take care of everything? How about trade in process?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Sounds like TrueCar?
The Consumer Reports car buying service runs through TrueCar now, so yes, they should be similar.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:53 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
If you don't like the car buying game, I'd suggest contacting CarBargains, they're on line. Will cost you a few hundreds for them to do your shopping (they'll contact up to 10 dealers) for the car you want, you pick the deal you're most comfortable with and they'll provide the name of the person at that dealership to contact. They've been around more than 25 years and I know they're doing business in the DC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: