Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,886 times

Advertisements

Good Evening Everyone,

My husband and I currently live in Woodbridge, VA after relocating from Boston last year. We are now interested in moving to the Springfield, VA area. We had a few questions that may be some of you may be able to help us with:

1. Best community/areas to live in Springfield/which ones to avoid
2. Public transportation options
3. Crime

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 09:39 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
More information is needed. There is no "best" area; only "best for you". Why are you moving to Springfield, specifically? What type of housing do you need, and what is your budget? Public transportation options to where? You are close enough that you can just drive around and explore. A real estate agent specializing in Springfield is going to be your best resource.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:02 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineola9999 View Post
Good Evening Everyone,

My husband and I currently live in Woodbridge, VA after relocating from Boston last year. We are now interested in moving to the Springfield, VA area. We had a few questions that may be some of you may be able to help us with:

3. Crime

Thank you,
Angela
No help here as I live in Woodbridge myself and don't know the Springfield area intimately. My suggestion would be to get on Reddit and go to the r/nova subreddit. That forum is ACTIVE and helpful. This place used to be a weath of information but gets very little traffic/participation anymore.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:46 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
More information is needed. There is no "best" area; only "best for you". Why are you moving to Springfield, specifically? What type of housing do you need, and what is your budget? Public transportation options to where? You are close enough that you can just drive around and explore. A real estate agent specializing in Springfield is going to be your best resource.
+1 to this and I’ll add, “Do you have children? What are their ages?”.

We have worked in Springfield and W. Springfield for 31 years and have lived here for almost 15 years. We used to live in Woodbridge.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:09 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineola9999 View Post

3. Crime

Thank you,
Angela
I live Springfield-adjacent so I'll jump in. Spencgr was spot-on, the real question is "What's best for you personally?"

1. Do you have children who will be in public school? If so, the schools in West Springfield are generally preferred. If you don't have children, this means that houses in that area are usually more expensive than if they were located in other neighborhoods in the area. Or, will you be renting instead? Do you prefer walking to nearby amenities? www.walkscore.com can help.

2. The Springfield area is served by the Springfield/Franconia metro station. Springfield generally has decent bus service that feeds into it. https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps...x34_230625.pdf is a good resource to study the routes in depth. Public transit options will soon expand once the https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/transp...ngfield-garage opens for business. This facility will provide more support for slugging. If you live in Woodbridge, you may have heard of it, as this is a popular (and cheaper) commuting choice in Northern Virginia.

3. Crime prevalence is fluid and responds to changing conditions in housing, law enforcement, population inflows, etc. Crime is increasing everywhere in the DMV. I recommend consulting a crime heat map. Try Googling 'Crime Heat Map Springfield VA', as CD usually deletes imbedded links for these.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:55 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
The house we paid 35k for in 1970 just sold fir 629k..22150..RE Lee same as Commander US Army Europe..lives in General Eisenhower's old house in Belgium.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
The house we paid 35k for in 1970 just sold fir 629k..22150..RE Lee same as Commander US Army Europe..lives in General Eisenhower's old house in Belgium.
Huh. I used to work in General Eisenhower's old office in London.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Huh. I used to work in General Eisenhower's old office in London.

He is actually Supreme Allied Commander...lives at Chateau Gendebien..

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/60616...gendebien-mons

Old 11-23-2023, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,886 times
Hello,

We are a couple in our 60's with no children. We are looking for a quiet neighborhood close to public transportation.

Thank you

Old 11-25-2023, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
He is actually Supreme Allied Commander...lives at Chateau Gendebien..

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/60616...gendebien-mons
I guess I should have mentioned I meant former General/President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...sidences-75144

Mineola - There are some nice neighborhoods in West Springfield south of Old Keene Mill Road. OKM has good bus service to/from the metro, and there is that new transport center that is going up. I don't see much currently available on the market but listing numbers should increase in the spring

Last edited by ersatz; 11-25-2023 at 05:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia