Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:38 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Note to our friend - that area's not in the northern part of 22003, it's actually in the southern part, across from Annandale HS. Patriot Village is a rental community, and there are lots of garden style condos and rentals there.

Annandale has changed dramatically from when I grew up there - I remember when the CVS mentioned above was a People's Drug. Annandale is substantially Asian (primarily Vietnamese and Korean) where it previously was not. I don't think the crime is any worse (and may be better!) than Fairfax, Springfield, Alexandria, Burke...

The main knock on Annandale is that unless you're in the Woodson school district (which a good portion of Annandale outside the beltway is), the schools are often subpar compared to Fairfax County schools generally. That shouldn't affect our homeschooling friend, though.

Yeah, Woodson is great...but the OP expressly stated an interest in Annandale INSIDE the Beltway. BTW, I HATE Woodson! I played football from '66 to '70 (lettered three years) at Annandale High back when we were THE powerhouse around here (JEB Stuart was TOUGH though!). I left a few teeth and plenty of blood in that mud at Woodson!

Now you have me thinking about the old days....I used to sip cherry Cokes and wolf down apple pie at the soda fountain in that People's in Heritage Mall.

Hey knopler...do you remember Carroll's Drive-In? Three Chefs? Kerlin's Corner? The arsonist burning of Braddock elementary? Topp's Drive-in? Michelbach's? Star Supply? The indoor firing range downstairs from the deli?
Don's Barber Shop (I ran into Don the other day while walking my dog, he's really old, but doing great!)? The movie theatre across from Furr's Texaco which was next to the Jack-in-the-Box ? The Spaghetti Mill?

I could go on but I'll spare you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,157 times
*chuckle* I don't remember those places. I did grow up in Annandale, but, erm, I'm a few years younger than you I think. I do remember Fritzbe's, though.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Awww yeah, I forgot Fritzbe's.

Which reminds me of the restaurant that was in that space BEFORE Fritzbe's....a great Italian place called Villa Maria. We went there every Thursday night when I was growing up.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,420 times
Default Annandale memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yeah, Woodson is great...but the OP expressly stated an interest in Annandale INSIDE the Beltway. BTW, I HATE Woodson! I played football from '66 to '70 (lettered three years) at Annandale High back when we were THE powerhouse around here (JEB Stuart was TOUGH though!). I left a few teeth and plenty of blood in that mud at Woodson!

Now you have me thinking about the old days....I used to sip cherry Cokes and wolf down apple pie at the soda fountain in that People's in Heritage Mall.

Hey knopler...do you remember Carroll's Drive-In? Three Chefs? Kerlin's Corner? The arsonist burning of Braddock elementary? Topp's Drive-in? Michelbach's? Star Supply? The indoor firing range downstairs from the deli?
Don's Barber Shop (I ran into Don the other day while walking my dog, he's really old, but doing great!)? The movie theatre across from Furr's Texaco which was next to the Jack-in-the-Box ? The Spaghetti Mill?

I could go on but I'll spare you!
car54, I've enjoyed your memories you are writing about. I graduated from Annandale in '72...my folks bought our home in No. Springfield in '55. We were parishioners of St. Michael's and went to school there for a few years. Topp's had a heck of a hamburger...the Sirloiner? In the early 70's after an evening at the Tomb's in Georgetown we would hit the Jack-in-the-Box for grub to wash down the beer. During the late 50's / early 60's the drug store (Drug Fair?), next to the Giant Food, was always where I was when Mom was shopping...always had the latest comic books. PF Flyers and jeans rolled up because they were usually handed down to you from an older brother. Sure were alot more woods back then to build tree forts!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM

206 posts, read 633,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenarie View Post
Thanks. the thing is, we've not found any listings at the moment for that area outside the beltway, but there is a listing that would suit us inside, pretty much at the north end of the zip.

So I'm not so much asking what would be better, as how is this area? Anything that should scare me off? Or is it okay?

It's always better to be in a good school system; however, we homeschool, so I'm not as concerned with which schools feed into where.
Buying a home within a better school district is an advantage when it comes time to sell, and your home will appreciate faster in a better school district.

Generally speaking the schools reflect the neighborhood in general, for the most part.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricklayer View Post
car54, I've enjoyed your memories you are writing about. I graduated from Annandale in '72...my folks bought our home in No. Springfield in '55. We were parishioners of St. Michael's and went to school there for a few years. Topp's had a heck of a hamburger...the Sirloiner? In the early 70's after an evening at the Tomb's in Georgetown we would hit the Jack-in-the-Box for grub to wash down the beer. During the late 50's / early 60's the drug store (Drug Fair?), next to the Giant Food, was always where I was when Mom was shopping...always had the latest comic books. PF Flyers and jeans rolled up because they were usually handed down to you from an older brother. Sure were alot more woods back then to build tree forts!

Heck, I probably know you or a sibling! I went to St Michael's School also and my mom was a lay teacher there. Mia Hamm's (the soccer player) grandma taught there too. Remember Father Scannell? I was walking around the cemetary where my parents are buried the other day and came across his grave. I would have thought he would have been dead for many years, but he just died a few years ago in his mid 90's!

I believe it was People's Drug next to the Giant...Drug Fair was next to the A&P. And I was probably standing next to you at the comic book rack!

We never could make it back to Annandale from Georgetown before the munchies hit.....Marios Pizza in Arlington was our spot. LOL

Remember the slot car track behind the Giant? I wasn't much into it, but my brother was. That craze didn't last very long.

Last edited by car54; 09-13-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,182 times
Default Remember Annandle fondly

I'm home sick and just happened upon this posting. I lived in Annandale....Sleepy Hollow Woods to be exact from 67-79.....went to Jefferson High and to St. Mikes for 7th and 8th grades. I had a great time being a teenager in Annandale, however, have no desire to live there now.... My wife and I left NoVA in 91, and moved to a small town in Southern Vermont........very quiet and peaceful. When my dad bought the house in Sleepy Hollow, we thought Annandale was the absolute end of the world, there was not much beyond the beltway.........I worked at the Annandale theater for a few years, and also at Cameron Station in the PX.......is that still there?.......anyway it was a good time overall........The person who mentioned Father Scannell.......I recall him standing in the road, can't think of the name of it, directing traffic in and out of the church, was it Ravensworth Road?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Cameron Station is now a townhouse/condo development

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,805 times
Default Father Scannell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperhouse View Post
I'm home sick and just happened upon this posting. I lived in Annandale....Sleepy Hollow Woods to be exact from 67-79.....went to Jefferson High and to St. Mikes for 7th and 8th grades. I had a great time being a teenager in Annandale, however, have no desire to live there now.... My wife and I left NoVA in 91, and moved to a small town in Southern Vermont........very quiet and peaceful. When my dad bought the house in Sleepy Hollow, we thought Annandale was the absolute end of the world, there was not much beyond the beltway.........I worked at the Annandale theater for a few years, and also at Cameron Station in the PX.......is that still there?.......anyway it was a good time overall........The person who mentioned Father Scannell.......I recall him standing in the road, can't think of the name of it, directing traffic in and out of the church, was it Ravensworth Road?
It was probably Carmine Street or Bradford Drive. I remember the traffic. My brother was hit by a car that was going to/from church. He was okay--was just brushed by the car and scared.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Heck, I probably know you or a sibling! I went to St Michael's School also and my mom was a lay teacher there. Mia Hamm's (the soccer player) grandma taught there too. Remember Father Scannell? I was walking around the cemetary where my parents are buried the other day and came across his grave. I would have thought he would have been dead for many years, but he just died a few years ago in his mid 90's!

I believe it was People's Drug next to the Giant...Drug Fair was next to the A&P. And I was probably standing next to you at the comic book rack!

We never could make it back to Annandale from Georgetown before the munchies hit.....Marios Pizza in Arlington was our spot. LOL

Remember the slot car track behind the Giant? I wasn't much into it, but my brother was. That craze didn't last very long.
Yes, it was People's Drug store. I used to work there when I was in HS about 77-78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia