Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times

Advertisements

The problem with the cameras is that they were targeting "technical" red light running in order to raise money. That means people that entered intersections while the light was yellow and the light turned red while they were in there.

This led to people jamming on their brakes and causing tons of rear-end collisions.

I want to stop accidents and am not so worried about revenue. If the cameras could catch people entering intersections when the light was already red for .25 sec, I'd be in favor of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
YES!! I agree 100%. I remember reading an article in the newspaper maybe 3 years ago about how people were all up in arms about red light cameras - how they were infringing on their rights or something. I think that, if anything, they need more red light cameras around here. I'm originally from Australia and over there you ALWAYS slow down for yellow lights. And you do everything in your power to not run a red light - they're there for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
The problem with the cameras is that they were targeting "technical" red light running in order to raise money. That means people that entered intersections while the light was yellow and the light turned red while they were in there.

This led to people jamming on their brakes and causing tons of rear-end collisions.

I want to stop accidents and am not so worried about revenue. If the cameras could catch people entering intersections when the light was already red for .25 sec, I'd be in favor of them.
Maybe so, but then doesn't that indicate that perhaps people are following too closely behind and not paying proper attention? Either way, it seems to me to be a case of people not driving in a safe way.

If you enter the intersection when the light turns yellow, you should be able to clear it before the light turns red, unless you entered it way after the light turned yellow in which case you probably could have stopped.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Logic meet reality. If you leave more than one car length between you and the person in front of you, some idiot(s) will force their way into that space. Even if you have half that amount of space between you, some super-idiot will try to edge his/her way into it.

I wish I could drive here like we do in Maine, but that's a wish... kinda like winning the lottery.

Quote:
Maybe so, but then doesn't that indicate that perhaps people are following too closely behind and not paying proper attention? Either way, it seems to me to be a case of people not driving in a safe way.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Logic meet reality. If you leave more than one car length between you and the person in front of you, some idiot(s) will force their way into that space. Even if you have half that amount of space between you, some super-idiot will try to edge his/her way into it.
True dat!

Is it wrong of me to say that I don't care if those people rear-end someone? The accident will be deemed their fault for following too closely anyway.

In any event, I'm PRO red light camera's. Maybe people will learn to (a) actually slow down for yellow lights and (b) after enough rear-end collisions, learn to not follow so closely. Aaah...wishful thinking!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Quote:
True dat!

Is it wrong of me to say that I don't care if those people rear-end someone? The accident will be deemed their fault for following too closely anyway.

In any event, I'm PRO red light camera's. Maybe people will learn to (a) actually slow down for yellow lights and (b) after enough rear-end collisions, learn to not follow so closely. Aaah...wishful thinking!

I am PRO red light cameras as well, because of a friend who was seriously injured when someone drove thru a red light.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:07 PM

162 posts, read 638,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
No--you can't turn on red! You're supposed to stop on yellow--it's telling you that it's turning red! The only way you are legally allowed to go through a yellow light is if it turns yellow while you're in the intersection!
Even if the light is green, you can't enter an intersection unless you can TOTALLY clear that intersection!
Sometimes, it's easier to go past where you want to make a left, turn around, come back and make a right!
Same thing in FL if anyone is planning on visiting. Yes, this was clearly brought to our attention in a class I took. We were all surprised.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM

162 posts, read 638,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
IF you do not have a left turn arrow light...you are YIELDING to on comming traffic. you must wait until traffic is clear, if you can't go you don't. pulling inot the middle of an intersection to waiting until red to go is illegal. If you pull into the insection while green and go on green you are good, if it turns amber you are to vacate the intersection, RED means stop. YOU took a chance and got caught in the middle and went on RED, esentailly running a red light.
NOW... what choice did you have? wait in the middle of the street and impeed traffic? you can get a fine for that as well.

Technically you are to wait BEHIND the white intersection line until your route is clear before heading into the intersection before you proceed. (because you are yeiiding to all oncomming traffic... you aren't guaranteed a left turn)

YOu got a warning, because the officer wanted you to know that you were actually doing an illegal turn. But she was also logical and used common sense that knowing you were in a "catch 22 " situation.

Just because something is common practice, or everyone does it doesn't make it legal.

VA drivers are bad at lights esp. left turn signals...they "piggy back" through the red lights all time, getting at least 5 more cars through. And then causing the road to back-up...everyone is always in such a hurry.
Makes me think of "Don't block the box" in Virginia Beach. So many people around here will enter an intersection and completely block it so when the opposite direction has a green, they can't even get across. I believe it's a $200 fine in VB if you block the box. We need those signs all over the state! There was an accident on one of the main roads around here last week. Caused nothing but havoc at the intersection.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:14 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Beaches View Post
Makes me think of "Don't block the box" in Virginia Beach. So many people around here will enter an intersection and completely block it so when the opposite direction has a green, they can't even get across. I believe it's a $200 fine in VB if you block the box. We need those signs all over the state! There was an accident on one of the main roads around here last week. Caused nothing but havoc at the intersection.
They've got the same fines and signs in Philadelphia, too. It's not that bad of an idea, I can't stand the people who dart into the intersection on yellow just to sit there until the next green.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,570 times
I was just looking this up, since I know it is legal in NY where i learned to drive, but i wasn't sure about down here. There is actually a term for it in the driver's manual in ny, it's called "continuation on red". Once you are in the intersection and the light has turn red for you (and green for cross traffic), you have the right of way to continue your turn. It is actually illegal for cross-traffic to go until you finish your turn.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
[quote=bangorme;7546182]I see at least 10 drivers run red lights every morning during my 6 mile drive into work. By running, I don't mean technically running, I mean entering the intersection when the light was red and proceeding through the red light.

I really wish the police would worry about the obvious red light infractions (which cause many more accidents than speeding) and not worry about splitting hairs. I know tickets are 95% revenue, but how about stepping up to the plate and sitting at some intersections. Lots of money to be made there!!!![/quote]

Amen to this one, when we were staying in Falls Church, Gallows Rd at rush hour is bad for this, drivers piggy backing through the red light,while those who have the green have no where to go, I have sat through 3 green lights on Gallows Rd trying to make a left turn, when the arrow was green for us to go, those going straight had the intersection blocked. I always wondered where the cops were. I have to say I learned my lesson the first time and either didn't go out during rush hour or if I had to go out I went another way. You would think the cops would worry about something like this instead of someone making a left turn as the light was turning red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia