Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM

250 posts, read 911,082 times

Advertisements

My husband will likely be taking a job either in the DC area or preferably in dahlgren VA. I was hoping to live in fredericksburg or stafford areas. I like more suburban feel but close to a city and conveniences.

We're in southern CA now and all I hear about is the quality of schools that the DC area/VA suburb has and that I'll be really pleased. We do live in a very upper class great school district here and on greatschools all schools rank between 7 and 10 out of 10 but when I look into the districts here they have 2, 5's and nothing higher than 7. what gives? are the schools really that good? I know fairfax county is supposed to be so great, but I dont want to live that far away due to commute times to Dahlgren, not only that it is enormous and I have a child with aspergers who is extremely intelligent but may need some extra push socially. He is 5 BTW.

can anyone suggest a school in the stafford area or other suggestions on where to live if my husband took that job in Dahlgren?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
You may get more response if you explain "What does 5 BTW mean?"

Old 06-20-2008, 02:18 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
I was replying to the totally separate USED BOOKSTORE thread. I don't know how the $%&@ this ended up IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT THREAD. Sorry everybody!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM

250 posts, read 911,082 times
BTW= by the way---My son is 5 yrs old, in Kindergarten

Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 PM

71 posts, read 287,306 times
Stafford County has excellent schools. Ferry Farm Elementary is always winning top awards, which is located in Southern Stafford. In fact I grew up with kids in Stafford whose parents were wealthy judges, doctors, etc. They could have easily went to a private school but all graduated from Stafford High School. Dahlgren is close to King George county which is an up and coming area but I'm not sold on the school system as of yet. We are currently moving back to the area to be honest because of the school system. We're in North Carolina and maybe 5% of the budge goes to the school systems here-they are horrible. I can say that Virginia does use the taxes to make sure the school systems excel.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
You want to school your kids in a Stafford school, not a King George or Dalgren school!!! South Stafford is the best, IMO. Many of the families have been here for decades, and you don't have the problems that North Stafford has--(it's becoming just like Northern Va).
Both Ferry Farm, and Falmouth are excellent elementary schools!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,447 times
My husband will be working at Dahlgren. We need a good school and a safe area, but we won't be making much as a crane operator. Where can we live?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 05:48 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,629 times
King George schools are pretty good for the most part. Some of the posters may be generalizing because there was one elementary school that was not that great in the past but there are now 3 elem. schools and they are pretty decent for the most part. But if you want to live close to shopping then you would need to stay in Fred. or Stafford which both have good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia