Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:30 PM

29 posts, read 32,748 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've seen so many helpful posts and responses here I thought I would ask for some advice. My family of 3 (wife and our soon to be 1 year old). Are pretty set on making the move from Orlando, FL to NOVA. Short version there is we both are originally from PA, miss the seasons, looking for an area with great career opps (I am a software engineer and she is a mental health counselor). I've done about as much research as possible without actually visiting (5 day trip scheduled this December, looking to move in Q1-Q2 2017). Obviously I will rent first, look to buy knowing the high cost of living there (we are a six figure family currently). I'm curious mostly about Manassas and then targeting Reston/Sterling area for work (1000s of jobs for an engineer). Is Manassas a good place for a family to put roots in, I know I've read the schools aren't the best but I never know what's currently going on. The homes there (and places like Woodbridge, Leesburg) seem more affordable and I just wonder if it's mostly bc distance to center city DC or if there are other problems with the area. I'd like to be able to afford a SFH within the next couple years, but just trying to gain some insight on the area, any serious flaws in my potential plan or things I need to know would be great. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 02:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
If I were you I'd look around the Centreville area. If you can afford it why not be closer to the Reston area? I lived in Manassas since 73 and only moved into the country last year so I know it well. It's got some great neighborhoods and my kids thrived in the schools so the kids make what they will of any school system. But the drive gets worse obviously the further you are away from the job. Coming out of Manassas IS a PITA no matter which way you go. Traffic from Centreville will still be a pain but at least you're closer. Moving even closer to Reston will obviously makes things even easier.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:53 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,644 times
I like Old town Manassas.

That being said, I would say them people don't like it because
1) the traffic is a nightmare and stop and go with lots of lights even off hours.
2) the schools aren't the best
3) the area looks trashy. There are a lot of title loan places and used car lots and generally it just doesn't look as nice as NoVa in general.
4) I have also seen people post here that they don't like the majority minority population (or majority Spanish speaking). I don't agree however it is a reason why some people don't like it.

Centreville is a great option. It's pretty boring but has everything you need with less of a commute. There may also be some parts of Herndon that you should consider if you are looking to work in Reston. Herndon is somehow more affordable than the surrounding areas. Not exactly sure why. A budget may help us to help you.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:59 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,695 times
Everything in this area is about location, location and location with DC being the focal point. So, in regards to Manassas, Leesburg and Woodbridge, the further away you get from DC, the cheaper housing gets. And I use cheaper loosely. As Ffxdata touched on - Because Manassas, Sterling and Woodbridge are somewhat "cheaper" this has created a different dynamic compared to other cities/towns in NoVa. But there are good schools in those 3 areas, they're just more sporadic compared to the rest of the region.

I agree with the Centreville suggestion. Or even Reston would be a good starting point, Reston also has metro which is a huge advantage. Or at least an advantage on the days that it works.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If I were you I'd look around the Centreville area. If you can afford it why not be closer to the Reston area? I lived in Manassas since 73 and only moved into the country last year so I know it well. It's got some great neighborhoods and my kids thrived in the schools so the kids make what they will of any school system. But the drive gets worse obviously the further you are away from the job. Coming out of Manassas IS a PITA no matter which way you go. Traffic from Centreville will still be a pain but at least you're closer. Moving even closer to Reston will obviously makes things even easier.
agree 1000%, on both counts.

NOVA traffic is an animal not very easily defined.. that being said, try and get as close to final destination as you can from the get go

Old 11-07-2016, 10:23 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,729 times
Given that you're engineer, you could land a job at a couple of big companies that are actually IN Manassas and have a really sweet commute from Bristow/Gainesville which has good schools and a much lower housing costs than in Fairfax County

Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
I like the suggestions in this thread. I would also consider Herndon as Ffxdata suggested.

I think the Dulles corridor will give you the most job opportunities but I am not sure about your wife.

I think you need to get a job first then you can narrow down your search. We can help you more then.

I will say that while everyone on this board may not agree I have seen no bad advice. People genuinely try to give you the best advice they can.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:09 AM

29 posts, read 32,748 times
Thanks very much to everybody for chiming in. Fxfdata asked about budget. It's hard for me to say what home price I could afford but I would estimate our household income to be around 150K if we both land salaries that data suggests we should. I've never bought a home before so I don't really know what that translates into price wise, though if you use a crude estimate and say home price is 2-2.5 times your income, I'd be in the area of 300-400. Which I think it what had led me to Manassas because there are some nice SFH there in that range, Centreville and further north seem to go over 400 for similar options but I'll have to weigh pricing vs commute as others have said. This is a great start though and I appreciate everyone's time!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevermetal02 View Post
Hi all,

I've seen so many helpful posts and responses here I thought I would ask for some advice. My family of 3 (wife and our soon to be 1 year old). Are pretty set on making the move from Orlando, FL to NOVA. Short version there is we both are originally from PA, miss the seasons, looking for an area with great career opps (I am a software engineer and she is a mental health counselor). I've done about as much research as possible without actually visiting (5 day trip scheduled this December, looking to move in Q1-Q2 2017). Obviously I will rent first, look to buy knowing the high cost of living there (we are a six figure family currently). I'm curious mostly about Manassas and then targeting Reston/Sterling area for work (1000s of jobs for an engineer). Is Manassas a good place for a family to put roots in, I know I've read the schools aren't the best but I never know what's currently going on. The homes there (and places like Woodbridge, Leesburg) seem more affordable and I just wonder if it's mostly bc distance to center city DC or if there are other problems with the area. I'd like to be able to afford a SFH within the next couple years, but just trying to gain some insight on the area, any serious flaws in my potential plan or things I need to know would be great. Thanks all!
Parts of Manassas seem to be up and coming - albeit they are not "up" just yet - but the schools remain a problem and will for some time. I would research that carefully before buying anything. Also, Manassas will make a commute very difficult depending on where you find work. Once you find a job you will have a better idea of where to live. If you are planning to move first, I would suggest a more central location, such as Fairfax, or someplace near a major artery, which doesn't require taking 66E or 95N to get most places in Nova. Leesburg is just too far unless you know you are working near there. Woodbridge is down 95, which is not a nice commute.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:43 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevermetal02 View Post
Thanks very much to everybody for chiming in. Fxfdata asked about budget. It's hard for me to say what home price I could afford but I would estimate our household income to be around 150K if we both land salaries that data suggests we should. I've never bought a home before so I don't really know what that translates into price wise, though if you use a crude estimate and say home price is 2-2.5 times your income, I'd be in the area of 300-400. Which I think it what had led me to Manassas because there are some nice SFH there in that range, Centreville and further north seem to go over 400 for similar options but I'll have to weigh pricing vs commute as others have said. This is a great start though and I appreciate everyone's time!
To be blunt, any SFH for 300-400 is not going to be in a nice place to raise a family. You should probably consider a townhouse in a nicer area. Townhouse living is very popular for families here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia