Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
Interesting! Thanks for clarifying, all.

When we lived in Texas, there was just a Wave. Everybody waved at everybody else from their cars. Not in the city, obviously, but out in the country? Everybody. It weirded me out a tiny little bit until my uncles explained what was going on. I kept thinking, "Why do all these people think they know me?"
LOL, oh that takes me back to when we moved here. We came from California, and seeing strangers wave at us wierded us out at first, too--Los Angeles is a friendly enough place, but nobody waved in our old neighborhood unless they knew you. I thought maybe we looked like somebody else that lived there, or maybe we stood out in some way (my family's racially mixed, sometimes we get a little too sensitive about thinking people notice us).

Took us a few weeks to realize it was no big deal... everybody here waves at everyone! It doesn't mean a thing, it's just people being friendly.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Would it be proper etiquette for me to say "Good morning" or "How ya doin'?" to people whom I pass while running along the W&OD Trail, or would I freak people out?!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM

428 posts, read 1,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Would it be proper etiquette for me to say "Good morning" or "How ya doin'?" to people whom I pass while running along the W&OD Trail, or would I freak people out?!
You won't freak people out. Just don't be freaked out -- or offended -- if not everyone reciprocates. People have their own reasons for engaging or not engaging, and rarely do those reasons have to do with you (this would be the generic you, not the "you" you). On the W&OD, it's probably mostly because they can't hear you for their earbuds.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, oh that takes me back to when we moved here. We came from California, and seeing strangers wave at us wierded us out at first, too--Los Angeles is a friendly enough place, but nobody waved in our old neighborhood unless they knew you. .
Thats funny-I'm from San Diego and everyone gives a wave and a hello there. I don't notice that here very often but I'm in Merrifield so its probably varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Thats funny-I'm from San Diego and everyone gives a wave and a hello there. I don't notice that here very often but I'm in Merrifield so its probably varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.
You're from southern California too? Cool! It's so funny how many people on this forum used to live there. Lots of people in my neighborhood are from California, too. Mostly the L.A. area. Small world, huh? Where did you live in San Diego?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You're from southern California too? Cool! It's so funny how many people on this forum used to live there. Lots of people in my neighborhood are from California, too. Mostly the L.A. area. Small world, huh? Where did you live in San Diego?
La Mesa-East County We moved 1.5 years ago to a job in Philly, (spent a year in Bryn Mawr -Now thats snooty and unfriendly!) and we've been here almost a year. My toddler has lived in a different state each year of his life!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrapcorn View Post
I want to know if anyone else has noticed this. I find the DC area and Northern Virginia in general to be pretty much the strangest coldest place I have ever lived. People dress like they've got big money in the city, but no one talks and nobody makes eye contact. Metro stations can be full of people who aren't talking, and the packed yet silent trains are eery sometimes. Everyone seems afraid of everyone else. I've noticed neighbors don't wave when you pass by. I have a Jeep, and nobody out here does the Jeep wave either. Everyone is an avoider unless they're in safe groups and I'm not sure what it's all about. People look right at you or start talking in other cities. Around here strangers seem really really uncomfortable if you try to say hello without provocation. Am I missing something? This is like living in an antisocial Stepford community.

I don't think this is a generalization, I think job opportunities aside, as far as human contact goes this feels like a bad place to live. I would LOVE to hear some opinions on why it's like this.. Too many foreign embassies, too much Intelligence, Miltary.. Too many CIA and FBI people? What?? What is WRONG with DC?
Just too many yuppie types, NOVA and Montgomery County, Maryland just have a lot of them. I live in Baltimore, and here the situation you describe is true for yuppies but a lot of blue collar folks are as friendly and down to Earth as people in small towns. As a guy, I actually have to say yuppie women as especially stuck up and unfriendly. I have lived in the DC area for most of my life. And especially in situations like a Metro, if you are a guy and are friendly to a female stranger they often think you are hitting on them. Anyways, NOVA and points north (except Baltimore) are overwhelmed with this high stress, career-oriented culture.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
I do relate with you in some ways, but there ARE plenty of friendly people in DC. You just gotta try a bit harder, and try to avoid the big boys at the various federal buildings. As for NoVA, I can't say, as I don't go there often. (Too boring for me - overpopulated, too rich and snobby, nothing exciting to do).

How do you feel about Maryland? You didn't mention MD in this post.
Maryland is actually fine outside of Montgomery County and a number of select Baltimore suburbs like Columbia. Keep in mind MoCo is not the real Maryland and NOVA is not the real Virginia...the DC area is its own area that is an anomaly in both states. Its the unfriendliness and brashness of the Northeast mixed with with rootlessness of Western cities like Los Angeles and Phoenix. There is little authentic Maryland or Virignia culture in the DC area, for area the lack of crabcakes and Natty BOh beer.

In Baltimore a lot of families live for generations on the same street and people call you hon and sweetie and say yes sir and yes ma'am. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is true small town USA and feels somewhat Southern. However I fear change as Baltimore and Richmond are both becoming yuppified by developers and transplants.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
Wow, I'm sorry I missed this thread when it started! I think it's plenty friendly here, but then, I grew up here, so maybe I'm just rude and cold and I don't realize it.

I'm really curious about this Jeep wave, though. What is that? I never knew Jeep owners had a secret handshake of sorts.
Yeah what is the Jeep wave? I learned about the Eastern Shore wave in Maryland and did try it when driving on some isolated country roads and it certainly was returned though I was very clearly not from there! I also know bus drivers have a certain wave which I have seen in the DC area with the Metrobus and the RideOn in Montgomery.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:19 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
I think people are getting more unfriendly everywhere in America, not just in the larger cities. Our lives are more stressed out than every before, raising kids is now almost impossible unless one is well off, America is deteriorating so rapidly politically and economically it is frightening. There is no more "American Dream", its now the "American Nightmare". Socially, there is too much diversity, too many nationalties, too many lifestyles, too much "instant gratification" and waaaaaaaaay too much consumerism.
Lets face it folks, we are not the one big happy proud family we once were.
I don't know what the answer is and I don't believe its going to church but America is in serious trouble on every level. Would you be friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia