Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,695,048 times

Advertisements

I believe any place is what you make of it. I'm a rather outgoing person in social situations. Being an Italian-American I talk with my hands frequently, am rather loud, and never shut the hell up (with the Scranton accent no less!), so I'm always able to grab someone's attention and keep them captivated. You get out of an area what you invest into it. I've already begun my social networking routine via CraigsList, Facebook, and MySpace (I suppose on City-Data too) to track down people with similar interests and introduce myself to them, explaining that I'll be living in the area by summer, and inviting them to get to know me a bit better.

People say New Yorkers are "brash, rude, arrogant, yada, yada, yada." As a semi-frequent visitor to "Da City Dat Never Sleeps" I can honestly say that I've very rarely been the victim of inconsiderate behavior there; on the rare occasion someone would practically run me over on the sidewalk they'd apologize or say "Excuse me." People would acknowledge the gesture when I'd hold a door open for them (and in some cases the gesture was returned to me later on in the day). People in larger metropolitan areas (including DC/NoVA) aren't unfriendly; they're just "efficient." When I say "How are you today?" to a stranger who walks into my workplace, all I'm expecting back is "Good. How are you?" (or if they're grammatically savvy I wet my pants when they say "I am well today.") If someone REALLY responded with "Well, about an hour ago I got a flat tire, two days ago my sister gave birth to my new nephew, I have irritable bowel syndrome and a yeast infection, I have a craving for pasta at Olive Garden, yada, yada, yada" I'd instantly be looking for a way out of the unintentional conversation so I could assist another customer with my limited time. I'm not being "rude." I just don't have the resources to devote to playing "Dr. Phil" all the time to complete strangers when I'm in a hurry.

I have a feeling I'll fit into the social scene in NoVA just fine. I'm not happy that everything looks to be taupe, neutral, modern, and cul-de-saccy, but I suppose in time I'll learn to love suburban living (or just learn to keep my opinions to myself until I can afford to move to Arlington/Alexandria!)

Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM

208 posts, read 1,218,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
Florida?? Really?!?! We actually moved to NoVA from FL (Fort Lauderdale), we lived there for 3 years and it was so boring. We had a hard time making friends.
Yeah, I like a fair amount of Florida. Not central Florida.... I didnt find Hollywood, or Miami boring. Def no where near as boring as most area's in NOVA, the exception being Arlington, and Alexandria. Even then Alexandria and that area got old to me fast.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM

208 posts, read 1,218,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
What?? You make absolutely no sense? You're an absolute dumbazz to generalize most people in NoVa the way you do. Please stay in Richmond. Richmond sucks! It's so old, dingy, and ugly looking. It depresses me just driving through that place. I wonder how people can live in a place like Richmond. I know I'll get bashed by the people who like Richmond, but I could care less because I know well how I feel about it and no comment whatsoever would change my mind about it.

You're right, about one thing - minus rednecks, I do like diversity.

To me Nova is great because of the close access to DC, and Baltimore, as well as other close by places - Philly, NYC, Atlantic City, VA Beach, and so on. Of course love the diversity.

Richmond does suck; catch any new episodes of Crime360? That city looks like it was hit by an atomic bomb....Well...Historically; it was burnt to the ground. Anyhow, southwestern Virginia is more my style. I’ve done lived in Nova, it’s just not quite the place for me. Everybody is always in a hurry to get somewhere real fast, people drive horrible, not quite Orlando or Atlanta traffic but not too far off. It's more of a place made for folks who are big spenders and have allot of money. I mean an apartment in Ashburn or Sterling is like anywhere from 1400-1800 a month, in Saint Louis I was paying 450. Cost of living is allot higher in Nova.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,699,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
Richmond does suck; catch any new episodes of Crime360? That city looks like it was hit by an atomic bomb....Well...Historically; it was burnt to the ground. Anyhow, southwestern Virginia is more my style. I’ve done lived in Nova, it’s just not quite the place for me. Everybody is always in a hurry to get somewhere real fast, people drive horrible, not quite Orlando or Atlanta traffic but not too far off. It's more of a place made for folks who are big spenders and have allot of money. I mean an apartment in Ashburn or Sterling is like anywhere from 1400-1800 a month, in Saint Louis I was paying 450. Cost of living is allot higher in Nova.
Richmond DOES NOT SUCK. Its very underrated. People have no idea about Richmond. They are ignorant.!

Its beautiful. Its one of the most beautiful cities in the country. People are ignorant about Richmond. It sure is more beautiful than NOVA, at least the way NOVA is now.

Here are some photos of Richmond:
Beautiful Richmond, Virginia Photo Gallery by Meade Skelton at pbase.com

SW VA is boring as hell, but to each his own.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,699,564 times
Quote:
More photos.
And this is Richmond. Richmond is a truly undderated city that has so much to offer.

You probably have no clue aboot it. One thing I dont like aboot you Northerners is your arrogant attitude!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,336,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
One thing I dont like aboot you Northerners is your arrogant attitude!
hey now! I'm a northerner and don't let that one fool you. Most Northerners are not arrogant, we're nice people. That's just one of the bad ones.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:43 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,714 times
Even though NoVA is below the Mason-Dixon line, the culture does feel very northeastern. I'm definitely not feeling the Southern hospitality here.

But at the same time, you can't lump everyone into the same group. I've met my fair share of rude, arrogant southerners. At the same time, some of the nicest and most down-to-earth people I've met are from NYC.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM

367 posts, read 1,286,644 times
Quote:
And this is Richmond. Richmond is a truly undderated city that has so much to offer.

You probably have no clue aboot it. One thing I dont like aboot you Northerners is your arrogant attitude!

Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Considering that, the pictures you posted - I don't see anything beautiful about them. It reminds me of pictures from a high school textbook of 18th century American history. Again, that's how I feel about them, but I'm sure there are plenty of people like yourself that will find photos like that beautiful.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM

367 posts, read 1,286,644 times
Quote:

After looking at photos again in the relaxation of my home, I take back what I said. Most of the photos referenced are beautiful. But it's not a place where I would want to live. I wouldn't mind at all visiting a place like the photos depict, but again, I wouldn't want to live there.

I think what is obvious is that everyone has differents tastes. Some like small towns and others like large towns. Obviously the bigger the city the better for me, and I think with Richmonder the smaller the better - that would be my guess. So with that said, it's obvious that Richmonder would not like NoVa. Not that Nova has a big city feel, but then again it does compared to a lot of places. Obviously NYC makes NoVa and DC look like Richmond.

I pretty much treat people the way they teach me to treat them. So I responded to you (Richmonder) like the way taught me to treat you. So hopefully no hard feelings.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,834,182 times
Quote:
What?? You make absolutely no sense? You're an absolute dumbazz to generalize most people in NoVa the way you do. Please stay in Richmond. Richmond sucks! It's so old, dingy, and ugly looking. It depresses me just driving through that place. I wonder how people can live in a place like Richmond. I know I'll get bashed by the people who like Richmond, but I could care less because I know well how I feel about it and no comment whatsoever would change my mind about it.

You're right, about one thing - minus rednecks, I do like diversity.

To me Nova is great because of the close access to DC, and Baltimore, as well as other close by places - Philly, NYC, Atlantic City, VA Beach, and so on. Of course love the diversity.
My thoughts exactly. How many times do I have to say it Richmond sucks. I was born there and lived there a bit too long. I never looked back. I never will go back. It is old, dirty, close minded etc. etc. You do have to actually live there to experience it. If you just visit, you will make the mistake that it is a a great place due to the nice houses and architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia